Solo: A Star Wars Story

With a big budget film, it's pretty easy to make a good-looking trailer. Some of the worst movies ever have had good-looking trailers. This movie has an iconic logo (STAR WARS), an iconic ship, and an iconic wookiee to feature in its trailer. I strongly suspect the problem is Alden, and they know it. I think they're dreading the fan reaction the film's trailer, and the actor playing its eponymous character, will get. Particularly on the heels of the thrashing they're still getting online about TLJ.

As I said in previous post in the OB1 thread, if Anthony Ingruber had been cast, we'd have seen a multitude of promotional shots, production stills, a teaser, and a trailer by now, And fans, myself included, would be salivating over this film.

The Wook

aaaahhhh i missed that post.....

How he didnt get it just off this is beyond me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba_wPdLxp4

This, of course, is an over-the-top impression, done a decade ago when he was a teenager. For a feature-length film, his performance would have to be considerably more subtle and refined. I don't think any of us would want to see two hours of a caricature. But he's got all the raw materials--looks, height, age, voice--to deliver an amazing performance as a young-adult Solo. The Age of Adeline didn't provide us with an extended look at him, but he dialed it back perfectly, and there was enough on screen to show me he could do it for two hours like no one else on this planet.

What a crying shame they don't give AF.

The Wook

This, of course, is an over-the-top impression, done a decade ago when he was a teenager. For a feature-length film, it'd have to be considerably more subtle and refined. I don't think any of us would want to see two hours of a caricature. But he's got all the raw materials--looks, height, age, voice--to deliver an amazing performance as a young-adult Solo. The Age of Adeline didn't provide us with an extended look at him, but he dialed it back perfectly, and there was enough on screen to show me he could do it for two hours like no one else on this planet.

What a crying shame they don't give AF.

The Wook

Well, he would have access to plenty of acting coach`s to get that toned down thing down pat.;)

Heres the closest thing we are going to get to a Solo trailer anytime in the future.:lol....Yeah, I know, I got a million of em.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's getting a bit ridiculous that a trailer hasn't launched yet. It's way past time. It should have been with TLJ.

Ben

How he didnt get it just off this is beyond me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba_wPdLxp4

It's Just my humble opinion, but Ingruber's combination of "smirk with worried eyebrows" aping of Harrison Ford would not hold me for 2 hours. All he is missing is the exaggerated "Harrison Ford finger pointing" schtick. He is a talented impressionist for sure.

That routine is perfect for a 5 minute stand-up comedy gig, or 10 minute cameo appearance, but not for a movie.

Imagine a new "Star Trek" with an actor simply aping Shatner as Kirk for 2 hours....no thanks.

Give me an actor with their own unique interpretation.

Last edited:
It's Just my humble opinion, but Ingruber's combination of "smirk with worried eyebrows" aping of Harrison Ford would not hold me for 2 hours. All he is missing is the exaggerated "Harrison Ford finger pointing" schtick.

That routine is perfect for a 5 minute stand-up comedy gig but not for a movie.

Imagine a new "Star Trek" with an actor simply aping Shatner for 2 hours....no thanks.

It was pointed out by other members that it was a poor example to use as it was from so long ago and his shtick was unpolished. Had I used a clip from Age of Adeline it may have been a more polished example, that was my bad.

Unfortunately I cant really give an appropriate example of Alden Ehrenreich`s ability to pull off the role as there is absolutely nothing been made available to do so. From all the reports of the problems he is having. I still would go with the initial clip over that. I doubt that there will be more than an hour of screen time for him.

Last edited:
It was pointed out by other members that it was a poor example to use as it was from so long ago and his shtick was unpolished. Had I used a clip from Age of Adeline it may have been a more polished example, that was my bad.
Or people can look it up for themselves as the film has been mentioned a few times.

It's Just my humble opinion, but Ingruber's combination of "smirk with worried eyebrows" aping of Harrison Ford would not hold me for 2 hours. All he is missing is the exaggerated "Harrison Ford finger pointing" schtick. He is a talented impressionist for sure.

That routine is perfect for a 5 minute stand-up comedy gig, or 10 minute cameo appearance, but not for a movie.

Imagine a new "Star Trek" with an actor simply aping Shatner as Kirk for 2 hours....no thanks.

Here is Anthony playing the younger version of Harrison Ford's character in, The Age of Adeline. As you can see, he plays Ford with far more refinement and subtlety, than that decade-old cantina impression. He would've been brilliant as a young Han Solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLv993khfI

It's criminal they passed him over.

The Wook

Last edited:
I agree that he's MUCH more bearable in Adeline... but while he looks and sounds like Harrison Ford there, he doesn't look and sound like Han Solo. They're not the same thing. That's a romantic drama, and he can go subtle and understated in that arena. He barely makes any expressions. Throw him into tense situations with monster aliens and laser blasters firing in every direction and heated situations and "subtle" doesn't fly anymore. Harrison never played Han as downtempo as that Adeline character, and of course Han will be under pressure start to finish in this flick. That unbearable shtick would have come out again real quick.

Here is Anthony playing the younger version of Harrison Ford's character in, The Age of Adeline. As you can see, he plays Ford with far more refinement and subtlety, than that decade-old cantina impression. He would've been brilliant as a young Han Solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLv993khfI

It's criminal they passed him over.

The Wook

Well they'd be able to show Ingruber's feet during one of those action scenes without digital alteration.

:lol

New set photo!

playskool-heroes-star-wars-jedi-force-2-pack-han-solo-chewbacca--8AD4CE71.zoom.jpg

If they're able to give Ehrenreich emergency acting lessons, there's no reason Ingruber couldn't have had acting lessons and coaches well prior to filming - if they were needed at all.

You hit it right on the head. I don't want a cheap parlor trick of a Harrison Ford impression that Inbooger does. I want to see someone ACT like Han Solo.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back