Solo: A Star Wars Story

In TFA they say she has run that outpost for a 1000 years so she probably wouldn't look much younger in this movie IF that was Maz.

Yeah , forgotten that . Was gonna suggest that maybe it was a relative of hers - and that’s how Han & Chewie got to know her ... but I don’t recall Maz having 4 arms like this character has ! ( Didn’t even notice that , til Bryancd’s last Post ! )

After reading the comments it strikes me how amazing it is we actually all watched the same clips. You wouldn’t know it from the reactions. So par for the course for a post-OT Star Wars movie.

Weird alien monkey creature
View attachment 792783
J

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 14.35.43.png

When I first saw that shot, with the goggles on top of the head and the squinting, for a split-second, I thought it was Maz Kanata.

Last edited:
Argh.

every time I read praise for Anthony ingruber I think, well if they like him so much, why not just watch his other movies....

Oh wait..............

he’s not Han, cuz impressions don’t make you a good actor.

apparently they had a seasoned and praised actor who still needed a coach... there’s no way in a million years he was getting that role.

I’ll bet he doesn’t get any major role ever, period. Nothing against the guy, but a lot of guys can regurgitate actors reads after seeing it enough times. But give the guy new lines...??

Okay, AGAIN –

Ingruber DOES NOT HAVE TO IMITATE FORD to give us the feeling that he's a young Han Solo because he LOOKS LIKE A YOUNG HARRISON FORD (and kind of already sounds like him, anyway). Alden DOESN'T SOUND OR LOOK like Harrison Ford. Which, in my mind, is a disconnect to buying him as SOLO.

It doesn't matter, anyway, at this point. But, PLEASE STOP BRINGING UP THE IMITATION. That is SO NOT THE POINT of some of us wanting Ingruber in the beginning. It's the LOOK.

AND, about Alden's screen acting. I've seen a few of his movies and, NEWSFLASH – he's not that good. The only thing he's really been praised for is Hail Caesar (which I did enjoy him in). AND he wasn't even acting normally, but DOING A CHARACTER. Or doing an IMITATION. And he got RAVES for it.

So, think about that for awhile, guys. Alden Ehrenreich is best known for doing an IMITATION.

I accepted long ago that the Star Wars of my youth is gone, that magic can never be recreated. Pretty much realized that immediately after seeing TPM in 1999. I knew no matter who wrote, directed, or acted in any new SW movie, for me, it just wouldn't be the same. To be fair, how could it? The OT means something different for each of us and it's my fault for keeping unreal expectations. Times have changed, and I think early on I just refused to believe that. I read earlier someone wrote about the campy lines from Star Wars, the "walking carpet" line and others, and said if those lines were used today they would fail. Well of course they would, like I said, times change. I think that is why I was so disappointed in TLJ, 90% of the humor in that movie missed the mark for me. I felt like it was trying too hard to be like the OT and it didn't work. Then again, I thought K2SO stole the show in Rogue One, that humor worked. I know, it's all subjective, it again comes down to personal expectations.

Sorry, got sidetracked. I'll watch this as if it were just like any other movie I may be interested in seeing and the fact that this movie, or any others down that road, has "Star Wars" in the title just doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I don't hate to hate. I was never automatically in the "this movie is going to suck" camp, but for me, this trailer leaves a little something to be desired. But I learned the hard way to never judge a movie by it's trailer. I've seen plenty of movies where the trailer looked great and it ended up being terrible, and a few that looked terrible and ended up being good. But TLJ did a real number on me, I feel I got beaten like a rented mule. That trailer still gives me chills even now after knowing, for me, the movie was a disappointment. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Okay, AGAIN –

Ingruber DOES NOT HAVE TO IMITATE FORD to give us the feeling that he's a young Han Solo because he LOOKS LIKE A YOUNG HARRISON FORD (and kind of already sounds like him, anyway). Alden DOESN'T SOUND OR LOOK like Harrison Ford. Which, in my mind, is a disconnect to buying him as SOLO.

It doesn't matter, anyway, at this point. But, PLEASE STOP BRINGING UP THE IMITATION. That is SO NOT THE POINT of some of us wanting Ingruber in the beginning. It's the LOOK.

AND, about Alden's screen acting. I've seen a few of his movies and, NEWSFLASH – he's not that good. The only thing he's really been praised for is Hail Caesar (which I did enjoy him in). AND he wasn't even acting normally, but DOING A CHARACTER. Or doing an IMITATION. And he got RAVES for it.

So, think about that for awhile, guys. Alden Ehrenreich is best known for doing an IMITATION.

NO ONE cares that he looks like him. River Phoenix didn't look like him.

I'm not in either actors camp, I haven't seen either in their roles...

I'm saying that they aren't going to cast a guy for a bit part in a movie, or cuz of his youtube. They're going to do casting calls... they're gonna have reads.

They're gonna look at marketability, award noms. Past films.

A guy who does video game voice over and youtube impersonations isn't going to get hired cuz he looks like Harrison Ford. they aren't going to care.

I've sat in casting audtions.. and pretty much every time the conversations POST great audition ( or from a sent in audition) go like this "Great Audition!.. Oh I liked him/her in that other thing as well... bring up that clip.... yeah that's great... hey you guys see him/her in this movie?... yeah but would you grandma know who this is? No?... but he did get nominated for an academy award... who represents him?...."

And that's a GOOD audition. If ingruber made it in the room, and he didn't knock it out of the park, he would have been instantly forgotten.

I'm not saying he did a bad audition, but his IMDB doesn't tell me he's knocking every audition out of the park.

More impressed than yesterday but the trailer was a straight up Fury Road rip off. I will absolutely go and see this say week two for all the Star Wars hooks it has and because Howard is the real deal but AE is doing nothing for me at all.

NO ONE cares that he looks like him. River Phoenix didn't look like him.

I'm not in either actors camp, I haven't seen either in their roles...

I'm saying that they aren't going to cast a guy for a bit part in a movie, or cuz of his youtube. They're going to do casting calls... they're gonna have reads.

They're gonna look at marketability, award noms. Past films.

A guy who does video game voice over and youtube impersonations isn't going to get hired cuz he looks like Harrison Ford. they aren't going to care.

I've sat in casting audtions.. and pretty much every time the conversations POST great audition ( or from a sent in audition) go like this "Great Audition!.. Oh I liked him/her in that other thing as well... bring up that clip.... yeah that's great... hey you guys see him/her in this movie?... yeah but would you grandma know who this is? No?... but he did get nominated for an academy award... who represents him?...."

And that's a GOOD audition. If ingruber made it in the room, and he didn't knock it out of the park, he would have been instantly forgotten.

I'm not saying he did a bad audition, but his IMDB doesn't tell me he's knocking every audition out of the park.

I wouldn't say NO ONE cares that he looks like him. Because, I've read a lot of comments on various sites where "looks" come into play a LOT. But, I hear what you're saying and I agree with it. I am not in the industry, so I defer to you on the process.

Ingruber just doesn't have a lot of (or any) screen examples, so he was passed over and was never allowed in the room to audition. So, we will never know if he would have "knocked it out of the park". Which, according to you, doesn't matter anyway. Which makes one wonder, why even have auditions?

Anyway, Ehrenreich had an ace in the hole with a strong recommendation from Spielberg. So, THAT'S how he got the gig over all the other actors who "auditioned" and might have been better suited for the role. At least, that's the story that keeps coming up.

Which makes one wonder, why even have auditions?

I feel weird even saying what I said, cuz it changes by the director and project - I can only say based on what I've seen, Ingruber wouldn't have gotten into the room (though I think I read he DID meet with Lucasfilm at some point... so maybe they listened to fans)...

But as for why have auditions? I sat in one recently, mouth agape, wondering the same thing.

We were listening to audition tapes, over skype, where I couldn't hear a damn thing, and the director was checking off names to call in for in person auditions based on that.

In the end I just shrugged thinking "well... I have no idea how this works anymore". I asked about it, how they could judge when we couldn't' even hear them, and they said "well, we'll get a better idea in the room and how they play off the reads of the other actors."

Almost EVERYONE checked off was already known for big roles, or the other director had already worked with.

All I care about is that one of the guys coming in is Star Wars related, so I'm going to weasel my way into the live audition. Can't say who now, but it's fun.

OH! and I was pushing like crazy in the room to bring Mark Hammil in. They were saying "he's tooo old"... I'm like "Screw that, I wanna meet Luke!"

I was ignored.

Definitely enjoyed the full trailer more than the teaser. It looks really cool. They seem to have nailed that lived-in, dirty aesthetic, just as Rogue One did which is good. However, I'm worried the coloring is veering too close to MoS/BvS in that it's just too dark and muted. Some neat designs though!

I was really hoping AE would convince me that he's Han in this trailer, but unfortunately he hasn't. I have no opinions about anyone else playing him, but I just want him to look and/or sound like Ford. I really hope I'll feel differently after I see more, but we'll see. It would be nice if they did something like what they did with Joseph Gordon Levitt in Looper...giving him some prosthetics to alter his appearance.

Overall, still very cautiously optimistic.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back