Solo: A Star Wars Story

Wook, I've got some bad news for you about Kirk and Spock.

scream.gif

Star Wars feels dead to me.

What we see on the screen now is a reanimated corpse and it’s disgusting. A mega-corporation mining the collective nostalgia of fans of what used to be an incredible work of art. And, why? To line their pockets off the back of yesterday’s genius but also, to score points in the fight to remake this country into some Marxist utopia vision.

It’s seriously gross. And very sad that a significant work of art can be appropriated this way.

Isn't making Lando gay/bi stereotyping?
I mean; He is clean, neat, fit, smooth talking. The Falcon is spotless just like my vehicle.

That's right he has to be gay.... no straight guy can be like that.

And just in reality, I don't want to know what a consenting adult does in the privacy of their own bedroom.

What we see on the screen now is a reanimated corpse and it’s disgusting. A mega-corporation mining the collective nostalgia of fans of what used to be an incredible work of art. And, why? To line their pockets off the back of yesterday’s genius but also, to score points in the fight to remake this country into some Marxist utopia vision.

It’s seriously gross. And very sad that a significant work of art can be appropriated this way.

This was my exact response to the PT after AOTC came out.

I think you'd feel differently if you were ever in the creative's room. Watching excited artists take scripts and design concept ships, characters, costumes, props....

if you ever sat in the first meetings where previz is shown or board artists pitch their scenes to applause from directors and crew.

Lunches where board artists and editors meet and discuss ways to make it better, then call meetings with the directors to share their ideas - sometimes to grimaces, sometimes to slaps on the back.

You're not picturing meetings where someone sees a movie at home, unrelated, but suggests a bit part actor that was in it who may play well for the film, then the excitement when that person finds out they got spotted for their small role and it may change their life - I've seen this. Fun.

You don't see when people are building sets in another country, excited to shoot in the heat, rain and otherwise because it's ****ING STAR WARS.

You don't see the rough cut screening where hundreds of people for the first time see their hard work cut together - right before animation and efx get their hands on the shot film for months and months of work ahead.

You don't see the small studios busting their ass finessing shots for hours to "reanimate a dead corpse" - as you refer to it.

So maybe look passed what you think you "see on the screen".

Because that movie wasn't made by a committee in a boardroom... as much as you'd like to see it that way.

THAT kind of thinking IS actually gross.

Last edited:
I could care less what someones preference is.

What bugs me is when they throw in characters, or make someone a certain way just to tick off boxes rather than because the story called for it.

We need an ethnic person. We need an LGBT person etc...

If it's crucial to the story, great.

If it's because you want to pander to as many people as you can and just to say "look, we have "x" type of character, aren't we really showing how modern and with it we are" than that is where it becomes kind of insulting

I'm not sure how this plays out obviously since I haven't seen the movie, but it sounds like he was basically saying, "sure Lando is open to anything". It's not like they went out of their way in the movie to make that point.

I am guessing way too much focus is being put on an off the cuff comment

If it's because you want to pander to as many people as you can and just to say "look, we have "x" type of character, aren't we really showing how modern and with it we are" than that is where it becomes kind of insulting

Not pandering when you're being inclusive to an audience that isn't all white males.

I could care less what someones preference is.

What bugs me is when they throw in characters, or make someone a certain way just to tick off boxes rather than because the story called for it.

We need an ethnic person. We need an LGBT person etc...

If it's crucial to the story, great.

I'm not sure how this plays out obviously since I haven't seen the movie, but it sounds like he was basically saying, "sure Lando is open to anything". It's not like they went out of their way in the movie to make that point.

I am guessing way too much focus is being put on an off the cuff comment

ALL of the characters in ALL the STAR WARS films could be ANY race or sexual orientation the writers choose WITHOUT altering or effecting the story one bit. Tarkin could have been a black man, Anakin could have been Asian, Leia could have been hispanic and it wouldn't change a god d@#n thing. And Mon Motha could be a lesbian but since on screen we don't see her with a significant other it's immaterial or Leia could be bi but she settled with Han. Stop with this none sense that having a diverse cast has any impact on the story set in this universe.

Last edited:
ALL of the characters in ALL the STAR WARS films could be ANY race or sexual orientation the writers choose WITHOUT altering or effecting the story one bit. Tarkin could have been a black man, Anakin could have been Asian, Leia could have been hispanic and it wouldn't change a god d@#n thing. And Mon Motha could be a lesbian but since on screen we don't see her with a significant other it's immaterial. Stop with this none sense that having a diverse cast has any impact on the story set in this universe.

maybe I didn't explain myself correctly since that is the point I was trying to make

maybe I didn't explain myself correctly since that is the point I was trying to make

No, you are saying the inclusion is pandering. Wrong, the inclusion has zero bearing on the story therefore why not afford more accessibility of characters to a broader audience? How is that insulting? I know a great many Asian woman love Rose Rico because she is them. Is that wrong? Did it matter what her ethnicity was?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back