Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

It certainly isn't looking too promising. I also just don't trust anything KK says. She's always made me feel ill at ease. I get a vibe from her, just very insincere and political, which isn't conducive to trust. I wouldn't let her sell me a car.

I'm not rooting for the movie to fail, but it is unnecessary. And, the results thus far seem to indicate poor instincts at the executive level. I hope that it can be salvaged. Ehrenreich has to be feeling lousy about now. May the Force be with them.

Sophistication has nothing to do with the success, or lack there of, of certain movies in the Chinese market. The reason why movies like Transformers do well in China is for 2 reasons.

1) It's something different from what's produced domestically, and face it, Hollywood/US is generally considered the place where some of the best movies are made and for a market previously closed to Hollywood movies it creates a demand for these new movies.

2) This point relates to point 1 and that is while the Chinese are hungry for American movies not all movies are going to appeal to a Chinese audience because of cultural differences. Something like Citizen Kane might not do well in China because it might not translate well/properly into Chinese and as a result a lot of what makes it such a good movie here might get lost in the translation, not to mention that a Chinese audience just might not relate to it because of cultural differences. But when you get a big action movie like Transformers where the action if the focus of the movie, and not the plot, that translates over perfectly. Everyone understands a big explosion no matter what language they speak and an explosion is the same in every culture.

I can find nothing to disagree with here. My only point was that Wook's assertion about my supposed "racism" doesn't actually follow from the words I wrote, as well as the reasoning you've added above.

Regardless of what may or may not be occurring on the Han Solo set, based other their acting work Alden > Anthony by a country mile.

I didn't get that impression from the article at all. To me it seems like they just have a certain style that doesn't fit when you're doing a movie thats part of a franchise. KK\LFL\Disney have a merchandising machine that they're running with Star Wars. Every part has to fit perfectly and do its job. If it doesn't, you have to fix it. Clearly L&M know what they're doing as directors. They have a proven track record. They just weren't suited for this particular job.

The odd disconnect is that it seems well known that Kasdan is a firm believer in you shoot what's on the page and yet Lord and Miller decided to go a different route apparently.

My guess it's a combo of both.

What's on the page, so to speak, is likely a story that 1) fits the overall narrative and, 2) fits the overall style.

You CAN do something that skews towards humor and still fits the style and story - but you have to know your limit. You cross either of those 2 lines and your boss is likely going to take issue. I do not, for one second, believe any director in SW is allowed to do flat out whatever they want. You're going to have style and story restrictions. You just are. Seems as if these two thought differently, or thought they could push the limits and they found out otherwise.

I don't consider an indictment of their work at all. They have a style and apparently too much of that style was making it's way to the screen - as if LFL thought they use the opportunity to broaden their horizons and try and work within the lines and they thought they were hired to do 'their thing'.

Regardless of what may or may not be occurring on the Han Solo set, based other their acting work Alden > Anthony by a country mile.

But... but... Alden Ehrenreich doesn't look exactly like Harrison Ford! And his voice is different, too! I'm not sure my brain can make that kind of a quantum leap.

This whole story is insane, but I would take things like "The crew applauded" (as if relieved about getting Ron Howard) with a grain of salt.
Most said they were just happy to be still working and this was a guaranteed year or two of food on their plates... but I could say to the trades "When we heard we were working on ______ the place erupted in applause!" and it would lead readers to believe we were all super fans and excited for that property.

Yeah no, mostly just happy to be working.

NeoRutty, good call regarding the crew applauding. The Hollywood Reporter updated the end of their article:

"A previous version of this article stated that the crew of the Han Solo spinoff broke into applause following the announcement of Ron Howard as director. In fact, these sources say the applause came at the end of the meeting in which the departure of Lord and Miller was announced and they were informed a new director would be arriving. These sources say the mood at the meeting was somber but there was applause "in support of the movie" (not in support of Lord and Miller's departure)."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ls-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619

I see nothing especially discouraging about the acting coach. Proclaiming "Lucasfilm unhappy with Alden's performance!" is too much.

I've been mediocre on the choice of Alden. But I do think the actor's overall mojo is the most important thing for recasting Han Solo. If the guy with the best mojo isn't the most accomplished actor then so be it. As long as his acting isn't awful the movie will probably work out.

I see nothing especially discouraging about the acting coach. Proclaiming "Lucasfilm unhappy with Alden's performance!" is too much.

I think it's a terrible sign. And that has nothing to do with my opinion that Alden was an awful choice to begin with. I trumpeted loudly for Anthony Ingruber. But if he got the part, and news came out during a shakeup like this that they needed to bring in an acting coach for him mid-way through production, I would also be quite worried.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

The Wook

Have to admit I started getting a bad feeling when that concept art with Han in hoodies and wierd shorts hit the web. That was some cringe worthy stuff. The spy photos of Alden with a 70's hair style didn't aleviate my concerns. It's such an easy thing to screw up, I almost feel bad for the studio for deciding to go with this instead of a Kenobi trilogy, which in my mind is a no brainer. A young Han Solo film is just a bad idea. Nobody really wants it, while fans would love to see Kenobi, and Ewan is accepted as the character and enjoys the role.

That posted, I am glad they have hired Ron Howard. Frankly I would not be surprised if they announced a new actor portraying Han in the weeks ahead.

Have to admit I started getting a bad feeling when that concept art with Han in hoodies and wierd shorts hit the web. That was some cringe worthy stuff. The spy photos of Alden with a 70's hair style didn't aleviate my concerns. It's such an easy thing to screw up, I almost feel bad for the studio for deciding to go with this instead of a Kenobi trilogy, which in my mind is a no brainer. A young Han Solo film is just a bad idea. Nobody really wants it, while fans would love to see Kenobi, and Ewan is accepted as the character and enjoys the role.

That posted, I am glad they have hired Ron Howard. Frankly I would not be surprised if they announced a new actor portraying Han in the weeks ahead.

I think fans have a "chicken or the egg" confusion on how films are being created at LucasFilm. The process doesn't begin solely with "what do fans want", instead it's "what within this universe would be an interesting story to tell". Kasdan had conceived of this story a while ago and was one of the reasons he was brought back into LucasFilm. So the idea for this story has been kicking around a while and all the people who vetted it internally liked it enough to give it the green light to move forward into production. All of the people involved in that decision care deeply about this franchise and very experienced producers and creatives. Based on their current batting average I'm inclined to the benefit of the doubt until such time that they fail to deliver a quality product.

Ingruber all the way (that's what I said, also with others here, since the beginning!!)...now, having said that, it wouldn't be completely crazy to think (I shudder at the thought, mind you) that despite the acting coach, the Suits could replace the actor for another one (costly for sure)...but not unheard of.

I'm not going to panic on casting.

I keep thinking back to that table read of Empire Strikes Back they had in LA where Ellen Paige played Han Solo. Apparently she NAILED it... got the essence. It had people saying (jokingly, but with sincerity) "man, if they needed someone to take over the reins!"

Now I'm not saying in any way that people actually considered Ellen Paige, BUT, the fact that everyone was watching a girl play Han, and everyone left talking like they just watched "Nirvana Unplugged", it does say something about a good story, and being immersed in the characters.

I never felt like River Phoenix, with his 90's hair, looked, or sounded anything like Indy, but there was something in the way he carried himself that made me buy that kid would grow up to become Dr. Jones.

Ingruber LOOKS like Harrison, but if that opening scene from Last Crusade was just him running through the scene trying to do his impression... I dunno. I think it would actually feel like uncanny valley.

I'm not going to worry until I leave the theater. And if the movie isn't great, we'll move on to the next one. I will pretend it doesn't exist just like greedo shooting first. It happened, I don't believe in it, and it doesn't count for me

If the Han flick is good, great!! If it sucks, learn from the mistakes and move on.

Not the end of the world, I'm done judging until I'm in the theater and credits are rolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back