Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

This is where the Alden bit originated and has a ton of detail, none of which is confirmed but an interesting read. If accurate Alden's performance is one of the strongest aspect of what has been filmed.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/201...ing-about-the-star-wars-han-solo-shakeup.html

I posted that a page ago. That's another deduction from your Star Wars IQ.:p

It does seem it was heading that direction and using my admittedly limited SWIQ that is certainly a bridge too far for any Star Wars film and certainly not keeping with the character of Han Solo. His humor is in his casualness when faced with difficult odds and how that works out in the end.

Hmmm. This is probably the SWIQ-iest thing I've seen you post.

You're pretty cool sometimes, Bryancd.

Hmmm. This is probably the SWIQ-iest thing I've seen you post.

You're pretty cool sometimes, Bryancd.

And really the only reason I am not down on this film whereas you are is one, I have zero idea what the story is going to be but it don't mind it being told and two, I disagree that Han needs to be portrayed by someone who is a physical and vocal mimic. I think the actor needs to embody the character of Han Solo as opposed to have the exact body of Han Solo. Until we see the performance we cant judge it. Plenty of room for cautious optimism even more so with Ron Howard sheparding it home.

[Before I reply to this, let me define what "Star Wars IQ" means to me. A person's Star Wars IQ, or SWIQ, is based on not just how much they know about Star Wars, but also their understanding of what it is that makes a good Star Wars movie. In other words, not just facts like, the Bothans stole the plans to the second Death Star, not the first. But also a person's Star Wars sensibilities, like knowing and understanding *why* Han shooting first radically alters his character for the worse. Han shooting first is an obvious example, that everyone agrees about, but there are more subtle ones--like how fast Vader walks, for instance. I'm talking about the myriad decisions, that go into every Star Wars movie, that many of us disagree about.

So, while virtually all of us score high on the first part, the factual part, of the SWIQ formula. Many fans' SWIQs are brought down in my estimation because they don't understand why something in a Star Wars movie detracts from it being an authentic Star Wars movie. Each of us, no doubt, thinks he possesses a SWIQ that's through the roof. And we're constantly judging the SWIQs we perceive others to have.

I like Bryancd. But even though I recognize he has an exceptionally high knowledge base of Star Wars facts (like most of us do), his SWIQ is brought down in my estimation, because he's demonstrated to me time and time again that he doesn't really understand what makes a great Star Wars film. Then there's a guy like Panthergem, who in addition to having a high knowledge base of Star Wars facts, he also possesses a keen understanding of all the less tangible elements which are needed to make an authentic Star Wars film. And so I consider him to have an exceptionally high SWIQ. Basically, what it boils down to, is ,we judge others to have a high SWIQ if they tend to agree with us, and to have a lower SWIQ if they tend to disagree with us. Nothing surprising--that's human nature.

Having said all of that, I possess an extraordinarily high SWIQ, and now that I've defined what it means to me for you, I will proceed to my reply to Bryan.]

I don't know anything about Alden's SWIQ. He may score decently on the factual part, but probably no where near as high as we RPFers score. But maybe he's a lifelong fanboy of the franchise, I dunno. As for the second part of his SWIQ--his sensibilities and judgments about what does and doesn't belong in a Star Wars film--I also have no idea how high he scores on this.

Alden didn't write the movie. He's just an actor, I get it. But regardless of who's idea it was, if he's doing or saying things in this movie that are antithetical to the character we know so well, I'll hate it.

And in regards to that snippet you posted above, I find it hard to believe that it was AE who pointed out to KK (via a producer) that this film was resembling the Keystone Cops. He may've had his concerns. If true, that could foretell that he possesses a high SWIQ. But the notion that KK wasn't aware of it, and only watched the dailies after AE raised the alarm in her, is just preposterous. If we know anything about KK, we know she is watching every aspect of this production like a hawk.

At any rate, Alden's got a lot to overcome--beginning with his diminutive stature and lack of facial resemblance. But if his SWIQ is lacking, too, this film will bomb in my mind and heart.

The Wook

If this is meant in a satirical way, its funny as hell. If you're sincere, you're ****ing bat**** crazy.

Unfortunately my normal I.Q. is hovering around the range of a houseplant. A roofer who lives in a rural area in California. The type of place that, in a movie, stupid teenagers stop at a general store and receive a warning from an old man, then proceed to get captured and murdered by a hillbilly. My S.W.I.Q. though? Solid.

Yeah, I tend not to take BSers very seriously, so I don't really see what I'd have to gain by trying to debate nonsense with a crazy person.

The SWIQ formula is undeniable. I haven't heard you say one thing to contradict it. Just ad hominem attacks.

The Wook with The SWIQ

I mean, if you really want someone to break it down...

Oh, it's undeniable that you've thought up...something....it's just not useful to anyone else but you, because what makes a film "feel" like Star Wars us entirely subjective. You can't on the one hand say that "SWIQ" is based on one's understanding of the "myriad of decisions" that "many of us disagree about," admit that "SWIQ" is ultimately subjective, while positioning yourself as the ultimate arbiter of "SWIQ."

That's just trying to dress up your disagreements with a whole lot of meaningless banter.

But sure, if you want to define the ontology of what does and does not "belong" in a "good SW" film, and why your judgement supersedes, say...George Lucas, go right ahead.

Until then, you don't have a "formula," you have a pretentious, half baked idea.

I mean, if you really want someone to break it down...

Oh, it's undeniable that you've thought up...something....it's just not useful to anyone else but you, because what makes a film "feel" like Star Wars us entirely subjective. You can't on the one hand say that "SWIQ" is based on one's understanding of the "myriad of decisions" that "many of us disagree about," admit that "SWIQ" is ultimately subjective, while positioning yourself as the ultimate arbiter of "SWIQ."

That's just trying to dress up your disagreements with a whole lot of meaningless banter.

But sure, if you want to define the ontology of what does and does not "belong" in a "good SW" film, and why your judgement supersedes, say...George Lucas, go right ahead.

Until then, you don't have a "formula," you have a pretentious, half baked idea.

Without even reading your post first, I had to look no further than your location to know you are of the opinion that every thing in the world is subjective. That there are no absolute truths. And that Citizen Kane is NOT absolutely a better film than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, as long as there's even one nitwit out there who thinks the Transformer film is the better of the two.

But you are mistaken. Citizen Kane *is* a better film than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. That, is an absolute truth.

The Wook

Without even reading your post first, I had to look no further than your location to know you are of the opinion that every thing in the world is subjective. That there are no absolute truths. And that Citizen Kane is NOT absolutely a better film than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, as long as there's even one nitwit out there who thinks the Transformer film is the better of the two.

But you are mistaken. Citizen Kane *is* a better film than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. That, is an absolute truth.

The Wook

:lol

Complain about a lack of a critical response and ad hominem attacks, and then respond to serious criticism with an ad hominem attack. Brilliant.

You keep throwing these terms like "absolute truth" and "formula" around, but it's not clear you really understand the terms in the context in which you're trying to use them.

If you show Citizen Kane and Transformers to the average millennial, or let's go even a step further, to the average Chinese moviegoer, which one do you think they are going to tell you is better? I'm not convinced of a Citizen Kane landslide.

Does Citizen Kane have better acting/writing/cinematography/editing/cultural significance/critical acclaim? Of course it does, it would be silly to deny that or argue otherwise. And cmon, that's apples to oranges.

Anyways, quit pretending like you developed any sort of formula. You've just cooked up a justification in your head over silly movie disagreements.

But hey, how about that Ron Howard guy!

Last edited:

This is amazing!
I could be at home watching a movie...
So glad I'm drunk at work watching this debacle...
:popcorn

Did I say debacle? I meant spectacle... damn auto-correct.

Last edited:

Does Citizen Kane have better acting/writing/cinematography/editing/cultural significance/critical acclaim? Of course it does, it would be silly to deny that or argue otherwise.

In other words...it's a better film. ;)

So I stand corrected: you do believe in absolute truths. The Millennial or China man who fills out his survey card after the double feature, by answering "Transformers" to the question, "Which film had better acting, writing, editing and cinematography?", would be.........wait for it.......wrong!

There are absolute truths in the world. Just as there are absolute truths about what does and does not belong in a Star Wars film. Fans with high SWIQs are tapped in to those truths. Fans with low SWIQs are not.

The Wook

In other words...it's a better film. ;)

So I stand corrected. You do believe in absolute truths. The Millennial or China man who fills out his survey card after the double feature, by answering "Transformers" to the question, "Which film had better acting, writing, editing and cinematography?", would be.........wait for it.......wrong!

There are absolute truths in the world. Just as there are absolute truths about what does and does not belong in a Star Wars film. Fans with high SWIQs are tapped in to those truths.

The Wook

Lol.

I wouldn't use the term "absolute truth," to describe the qualitative differences between two films. I don't think a term borrowed from philosophical debate is appropriate in film criticism.

Nevertheless, if you feel compelled to argue that there is an "absolute truth" of what does and does not belong in a Star Wars movie, it is up to you to detail those things. If you can't, or won't, you don't have a "formula" for anything.

P.S. I would thank you to not use the racial slur "China Man" in the future.

Nevertheless, if you feel compelled to argue that there is an "absolute truth" of what does and does not belong in a Star Wars movie, it is up to you to detail those things. If you can't, or won't, you don't have a "formula" for anything.

You're confused. The formula is not for determining what does and does not belong in a Star Wars film. The formula is what comprises SWIQ, which I thoroughly explained in my original post on SWIQ.

The Wook

You're confused. The formula is not for determining what does and does not belong in a Star Wars film. The formula is what comprises SWIQ, which I thoroughly explained in my original post on SWIQ.

The Wook

No my friend, that's not what implying. I understand that you believe your "formula" to encapsulate both in-universe knowledge and a greater macro sense of the narrative arc of the entire canon.

I'm saying your "formula" is no such thing because what you are calling your "formula" is at best a half baked way to delineate your opinions from others.

If, for some reason, one would be compelled to give your pet theory a real, actual framework, SWIQ should have an empirical metric for the former, and at least some sense of what the latter means. Because there is a fine line between Lucas' OT 'bad dialogue,' and PT BAD dialogue.

Now, yes, I would personally argue that what makes a "good star wars movie" is too subjective, so I wouldn't try to fill out your "formula." But you're the one that keeps talking about it.

You have no ontological basis for your "formula." You have terms with no definition. Empty signifiers. If you'd like to make your case for the "absolute truth" of what specific elements make a good SW film, by all means, the floor is yours.

P.S. I would thank you to not use the racial slur "China Man" in the future.

Wait...
Calling men from China "China Men" is wrong?
What should I call men from China that won't hurt their Chinese man-feelings?
Is that even racial? I thought China was a country...
Usually I'm on your side, JLee, but...
WTF, man?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back