Solo: A Star Wars Story

The Wook said:
Spyder, with all due respect, your posts--and this one in particular--are way too long. At least on this subject matter. This is a movie thread on the internet. You cannot expect people to read these novellas.

So, I did not read your post, I only skimmed it. I saw toward the bottom you asked me a question about a speculative story treatment, but I think the question refers back to another gargantuan post you made recently--which I also did not read, but skimmed. Something about Lando's pansexuality being just an act to confuse people? I dunno, man, like I said, these posts are just way too long to read.

Having said that, I'm happy to answer whatever question you have, but you're gonna have to summarize it here for me. Succinctly.

The Wook

I'm sorry that Lando turned out to be gay. Sucks for you, man.

I hate it when they go and change characters in movies, for no reason.

I mean, we found out everything we ever need to know about Lando in ESB, back when writers were good.

Lando has a mustache. This is canon.

Not some dainty little overly-manicured beard, but a mustache.

Good writers didn't have to spell that out, because they defined the character succinctly through his actions by never having anything more than a mustache in his 9 minutes of screen time. If they meant for Lando to be facial hair fluid, they would have showed him grow a soul patch real quick or something.

Does the beard even serve the story? No. So why change it?

Are we supposed to believe that he just shaves it all off in the future, except for the mustache?

Even Ruin Johnson couldn't mess up Star Wars this bad.They should just go back and get the writer who wrote ESB, because he knew exactly how to write an untrustworthy double-crossing scoundrel-- with a mustache, and a cape, and no beard.

I bet those Hollywood perverts are going to make L3 a lesbian, and Lando's beard is symbolic of him being her "beard". It all makes me sick.

Billy Dee's Lando would make L3 go to the galley and make him a sandwich, like the good writers intended.

Back before the liberal media put the gays in space movies for 50 year old children, to warp their delicate snowflake minds and distract them from the chemtrails that are making the frogs gay.

Han_Lando_hug.gif

Is that the right way to internet movie thread, The Wook?

TL;DR?

If gay Lando schits in the woods, and a kinky Ewok steps in it, would that be considered sexually fluid, or just being charming?

All due respect...:lol

Han_Lando_hug.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
After keeping up with this thread over the last month+ I had very low expectations going into this film tonight.

I was quite pleasantly surprised.

If you want your only Star Wars to be from 1977-1983, don't go see this film. There's nothing here for you.
If you enjoy good storytelling and good old fashioned fun and can get past someone else playing an iconic character, this is the film for you.

Post your review in the Release Thread at the top of the page. Get the ball rolling. :)

Saw it last night. NON SPOILER REVIEW:

Solo. So I go into these kinds of things with a nervous excitement and a wary eye. As a Star Wars “aficionado” in his mid 40s, I have over three decades of experiences that serve as an emotional foundation in this particular universe. Whether deliberate or unconsciously, at some point between childhood and now, I have envisioned or even given serious thought to how Han met Chewie, Han’s back story with Lando, the origins of the Falcon, etc etc. I know many many of you have as well. Now, this is a bit of a problem, because no matter what LFL brings to the table, it’s going to be different from what you came up with, whether you remember it or not. I don’t really remember in vivid detail what I came up with as I played with all of those Kenner toys as a kid, but I *do* know the general vibe I still feel about these characters. I remember things vaguely - like Chewie being an enslaved Wookie, for example. Was that part of the expanded universe, written in some novel? I *did* read those Brian Daley books, so maybe it was from them? Anyway, you get my point. We *know* Han wins the Falcon in a card game, but will that scene actually being played out land as poorly at our feet as the Clone Wars did in the Prequels? After films like that, I just don’t *want* to see these references brought to life, years later. Imagine how powerful Boba Fett would still be in our collective minds if he was never addressed in the Prequels?!

Compounding the problem, is my sort of odd personal fandom to Star Wars in general. I have fetishized and romanticized the elements, designs, miniatures, and making of stories to the point where the films themselves are almost secondary. I am, as an adult, in love with the original CRAFT of the first trilogy. That craft is not practiced any longer in the same way, and the way I was so enthralled with ILM as a kid is still very much a part of who I am today. So again, I go into these new films hoping that I will love the craftwork on display, and not feel like it’s a bunch of glossy nonsense. All of this becomes a pretty impossible benchmark, so again, I start “protecting myself” emotionally, because I don’t want to dislike this film. The craft on display in Solo is absolutely magical in places. I am relieved. So much has been written about The Last Jedi, and it has so much hate on line. I am not one of those people, but I also don’t see myself returning to watch that film very often. I have, however, rewatched Rogue One many MANY times. I know it’s because it showcases all of the original ships, Yavin base, etc. It’s a good story, sure, but again, I am returning to enjoy the craft on display.

So, that’s where I approach Solo. And I’d like to let those of you who feel the same way about these movies know that you can rest easy a bit, because Solo is a good film. Not all of you are going to like and agree with my opinion, but I know some of you well enough that I want to assuage fears, as silly as that sounds. Han’s back story has the right vibe. Chewie’s entrance is pure Star Wars, and the film sets it all up so that where you first meet them in Star Wars feels natural. This film does a rare thing for me, in that as a prequel it honestly sockets into what has been established as coming after, and does so in a “Star Wars” way. I was SUPER nervous about Han and Lando interacting, but after you see this film, you will want to rewatch their meeting again in Bespin in ESB, because it does indeed feel natural and as realistic as we can hope for in a movie about space people. The “why the long face” Falcon is absolutely palatable in this movie, to the point where I think seeing these designs out of context before the film are a real detriment. I do believe that I love L3-37 more than K-2SO and BB-8. And the new characters are great additions to the Star Wars stable.

Solo is fun. Please relax, don’t get stressed, don’t fret, and just enjoy the film.

I'm sorry that Lando turned out to be gay. Sucks for you, man.

I hate it when they go and change characters in movies, for no reason.

I mean, we found out everything we ever need to know about Lando in ESB, back when writers were good.

Lando has a mustache. This is canon.

Not some dainty little overly-manicured beard, but a mustache.

Good writers didn't have to spell that out, because they defined the character succinctly through his actions by never having anything more than a mustache in his 9 minutes of screen time. If they meant for Lando to be facial hair fluid, they would have showed him grow a soul patch real quick or something.

Does the beard even serve the story? No. So why change it?

Are we supposed to believe that he just shaves it all off in the future, except for the mustache?

Even Ruin Johnson couldn't mess up Star Wars this bad.They should just go back and get the writer who wrote ESB, because he knew exactly how to write an untrustworthy double-crossing scoundrel-- with a mustache, and a cape, and no beard.

I bet those Hollywood perverts are going to make L3 a lesbian, and Lando's beard is symbolic of him being her "beard". It all makes me sick.

Billy Dee's Lando would make L3 go to the galley and make him a sandwich, like the good writers intended.

Back before the liberal media put the gays in space movies for 50 year old children, to warp their delicate snowflake minds and distract them from the chemtrails that are making the frogs gay.

View attachment 818984

Is that the right way to internet movie thread, The Wook?

TL;DR?

If gay Lando schits in the woods, and a kinky Ewok steps in it, would that be considered sexually fluid, or just being charming?

All due respect...:lol

Alrighty then. You're obviously a man who does not take constructive criticism well. And you obviously are not all that interested in having me answer your question, whatever it was.

Suit yourself.

I can certainly understand about changing a character, but nothing about Lando is being changed. He's still the same charismatic pilot/gambler/swindler who flew the Falcon into battle at Endor and ran the Bespin Tibanna gas mining outpost until Han brought the Empire to his front door. It's people's assumptions about him that have changed. Just because he hit on Leia and Hera Syndulla doesn't mean he CAN'T love other beings (or devices, for that matter). We assumed he was only into women. We were wrong. Those are probably the hardest three words for anybody to say other than "I love you."

I do agree that it is our assumptions which have changed... but my main point has been why do we need to know more facets of his sexuality? Does that somehow enhance the story? In ESB we saw a bit of his sexuality only because it was meant to add tension between Han and Leia. So unless we are going to be seeing Han interested in a non female in this film, then that can't again be the motivation to write some of his sexual spectrum into the script.

Above all there should be a reason for displaying it...it should have a purpose in the story. Otherwise it's a total non issue, and as such we really don't need to be going out of the way to highlight it.

Here's a question for those who have seen it.

Can I take my 5 year old to it?

He LOVES star wars. He's seen the original 6, but not the clone wars. I haven't shown him any of the disneywars movies yet because I feel they've lost a bit of that soft space opera feeling that makes them safe for kids.

I hear him quoting the Solo trailer all the time.

Spyder, with all due respect, your posts--and this one in particular--are way too long. At least on this subject matter. This is a movie thread on the internet. You cannot expect people to read these novellas.

So, I did not read your post, I only skimmed it. I saw toward the bottom you asked me a question about a speculative story treatment, but I think the question refers back to another gargantuan post you made recently--which I also did not read, but skimmed. Something about Lando's pansexuality being just an act to confuse people? I dunno, man, like I said, these posts are just way too long to read.

Having said that, I'm happy to answer whatever question you have, but you're gonna have to summarize it here for me. Succinctly.

The Wook

There... found it for you....while I was reading the post ;)

Screenshot (718).png

Here's a question for those who have seen it.

Can I take my 5 year old to it?

He LOVES star wars. He's seen the original 6, but not the clone wars. I haven't shown him any of the disneywars movies yet because I feel they've lost a bit of that soft space opera feeling that makes them safe for kids.

I hear him quoting the Solo trailer all the time.

I’m taking my 5 year old who is mostly into the new films, especially Rogue One. He’s not super familiar with Han beyond TFA but I think it will be familiar enough with the Empire, Chewie, the Falcon, and other iconography he is familiar with.

Woah, I see a few of you alt-right fascists fat-shaming the Rancor Keeper. Please think before you speak. Your natural instincts should not be voiced as they are offensive, and possibly evil.

/s

Anyhoo, caught a Solo trailer on the big screen last night and it seemed really, really dark. Like AVP:R dark. As someone who loves nerding out over prop and costume details, I'm guessing the 3D will be a murky mess and should be avoided?

There... found it for you....while I was reading the post ;)

View attachment 819013

Yes, I saw that part. That's how I knew he was asking me a question. What I don't know is what his treatment was that he'd like me to comment on. So I made a simple and polite request that he summarize it for me, but he got offended that I said his posts were too long, and responded with a snarky--also too long (I'm seeing a pattern in him)--reply that did not have anything to do with his question that he says he genuinely wanted me to answer.

So, I tried.

ps~Kristen, don't go searching for the treatment. If he wants me to comment on it, he can summarize it himself for me.

Woah, I see a few of you alt-right fascists fat-shaming the Rancor Keeper. Please think before you speak. Your natural instincts should not be voiced as they are offensive, and possibly evil.

/s

Anyhoo, caught a Solo trailer on the big screen last night and it seemed really, really dark. Like AVP:R dark. As someone who loves nerding out over prop and costume details, I'm guessing the 3D will be a murky mess and should be avoided?

I had an interview with the DP I think who did say the film starts looking dark and brightens as it moves forward intentionally.

I’m taking my 5 year old who is mostly into the new films, especially Rogue One. He’s not super familiar with Han beyond TFA but I think it will be familiar enough with the Empire, Chewie, the Falcon, and other iconography he is familiar with.

Have you shown him the original 6?

Howard and Ehrenreich note that Ford, who has seen the new film twice, adores it. He called Howard, glowing, after he saw it the first time.
“I had never heard Harrison effusive about anything, and he was raving about it,” Howard says. “He said, ‘Alden nailed it. He made it his own.’”

From the Vanity Fair piece.

I guess this is where some people say "Ford knows who signs the paychecks so he has to say that stuff", right?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back