Solo: A Star Wars Story

so basically the intent of that ranking is to show your utter disdain for TLJ by placing it behind the Ewok and Holiday specials--things even the actors involved likely still cringe at--just to drive the point of how much you hate TLJ.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to hate it... only that it's a bit ridiculous to rate it behind things that aren't even part of the main story like the Holiday Special. You did say "dead serious"... so I'm assuming you didn't mean this as tongue-in-cheek.

Again... it's OK to hate TLJ if you do... there's just no reason to go so overboard to make that point. What did the Holiday Special for example add to the overall story of SW that makes it more worthy than TLJ?

The Holiday Special is so bad that it's good,...it has a magical 70's feel,....it has the very good cartoon that introduced Boba Fett,.....TLJ has a poorly constructed storyline, inconsistent logic, cringeworthy humour,...so in all.... its so bad it's terrible

J

The Holiday Special is so bad that it's good,...it has a magical 70's feel,....it has the very good cartoon that introduced Boba Fett,.....TLJ has a poorly constructed storyline, inconsistent logic, cringeworthy humour,...so in all.... its so bad it's terrible

Kristen, Jaitea nailed it.

Regarding his list of TLJ criticisms, I'll add this: character assassination. Luke Skywalker was assassinated by Disney, and replaced by the pathetic, homicidal, Jake Skywalker.

The Wook

so basically the intent of that ranking is to show your utter disdain for TLJ by placing it behind the Ewok and Holiday specials--things even the actors involved likely still cringe at--just to drive the point of how much you hate TLJ.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to hate it... only that it's a bit ridiculous to rate it behind things that aren't even part of the main story like the Holiday Special. You did say "dead serious"... so I'm assuming you didn't mean this as tongue-in-cheek.

Again... it's OK to hate TLJ if you do... there's just no reason to go so overboard to make that point. What did the Holiday Special for example add to the overall story of SW that makes it more worthy than TLJ?

I hate it too................ With your permission of course. :facepalm

Disney had nothing to do with it.

giphy.gif

I'm just trying to combat this endless fan-cry of OMG DISNEY RUINED IT.

First, Star Wars has always tonally been in line with Disney. The OT is as Disney as you can get. Lucasfilm and Disney had partnerships for literal decades before the acquisition.

Second, Lucasfilm is a Disney subsidiary. No one at Disney is part of the creative process so long as they make their money. There is no table full of dudes in suits with mouse ears saying LET'S KILL LUKE SKYWALKER! The creative is 100% run by Kathleen Kennedy and whomever she hires.

Third, there is no other studio that would have been able to pull this off. We can certainly call this the Disney era of Star Wars cause they hold the money, but without them I doubt we'd be getting any Star Wars movies at all. (Which may or may not be a good thing depending on your POV).

Hate away all you want, just hate the right parties. If you dislike the creative direction the blame falls on Kathleen Kennedy (and has nothing to do with a feminist or SJW agenda, maybe you just don't like her ideas).

Last edited:

As I'd have a similar lineup as Oldken (I'd put TFA above AOTC), I'll explain that for me, TLJ is at the bottom of my list because for the first time, I left a Star Wars film feeling upset. The Holiday Special and those other spinoff movies were dull and moronic, but I can't say they angered me the way TLJ did.

The character of Luke had a tremendous impact on me while growing up, and I wasn't aware of how much of an impact until seeing TLJ. He was the only one who saw good in his father in ROTJ, and he was willing to sacrifice his life in order to redeem him. I didn't realize how much of my generally optimistic personality is likely the result of Luke until seeing this hopeful characteristic of him missing in TLJ. After watching the OT so many times while growing up, I think subconsciously Luke's hopefulness and optimism became engrained in me.

What I saw in TLJ was not Luke. In addition to the "moment of weakness", he gave up on everything and moved away to an island to hide. That is not my hero. The Jedi needed to end? Why? Did I miss this explanation? Because there seems to be a jump in logic between the rise of the First Order and why the Jedi need to end.

Add this to the little payoff to all the setups from TFA. I never had any fan theories or specific expectations, but I did want resolutions. I didn't see the film as "subverting expectations". Rather, I saw that LFL/Disney has no plan for where this is going and are making it up as they go along.

Why setup Rey's parents as a big mystery waiting for a reveal when there is none? If you wanted to highlight that she came from nothing, great. I like the concept that anyone can become anything no matter their background, and Rey is a good conduit for that. But don't set up a big mystery in the previous film when there is no need for one. Start from the first film making it a trilogy about her rise from nothing to becoming a hero without teasing a big mystery when there is no need for one. I found no payoff from the reveal that she came from nothing. I saw it more that LFL does not have a plan for this story, wanted a big reveal, but then gave up when they realized there is no believable parentage revelation that could shock people like Vader being the father of Luke.

I'm guessing/hoping that Solo will edge out ROTS in my lineup, but my expectations have been lowered quite considerably.

Another dude over on reddit has seen it and is now doing a Q and A.

Maul has a new saber and ignites it. Apparently Solo and Chewie have a shower scene together too.

LOLOLOL

First, Star Wars has always tonally been in line with Disney. The OT is as Disney as you can get. Lucasfilm and Disney had partnerships for literal decades before the merger.

Second, Lucasfilm is a Disney subsidiary. No one at Disney is part of the creative process so long as they make their money. There is no table full of dudes in suits with mouse ears saying LET'S KILL LUKE SKYWALKER! The creative is 100% run by Kathleen Kennedy and whomever she hires.

Third, there is no other studio that would have been able to pull this off. We can certainly call this the Disney era of Star Wars cause they hold the money, but without them I doubt we'd be getting any Star Wars movies at all. (Which may or may not be a good thing depending on your POV).

Hate away all you want, just hate the right parties. If you dislike the creative direction the blame falls on Kathleen Kennedy (and has nothing to do with a feminist or SJW agenda, maybe you just don't like her ideas).

Seth I have explained this countless times, you can’t fix stupid.

For kicks....

Worst to best!

13. The Phantom Menace

12. Rogue One.

11. The Holiday Special (But I only watch the Redletter Media Best of the Worst recap, thus it is DEFINITELY more entertaining than Rogue One and Phantom Menace)

10. Ewoks - Battle For Endor

9. Ewoks Caravan of Courage

8. Attack of the Clones

7. Revenge of the Sith

6. The Last Jedi

5. Return of the Jedi

4. The Force Awakens

3. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

First, Star Wars has always tonally been in line with Disney. The OT is as Disney as you can get. Lucasfilm and Disney had partnerships for literal decades before the merger.

When I say, "Disney", I mean KK. She reports to Bob Iger, CEO of Disney. He has the power to fire her and hire a high-SWIQ replacement, who could turn this franchise around, and give us true fans the Star Wars films we want and deserve.

Bob?!?....call me! :D

Bob does have that power-- but on a balance sheet everything is fine. He doesn't care if Luke Skywalker gets a sex change and turns evil-- so lonmg as the movies make a profit and the brand stays relevant.

But no doubt, if there's more than a couple box office failures with Star Wars she'll be out of work.

Bob does have that power-- but on a balance sheet everything is fine. He doesn't care if Luke Skywalker gets a sex change and turns evil-- so lonmg as the movies make a profit and the brand stays relevant.

But no doubt, if there's more than a couple box office failures with Star Wars she'll be out of work.

And we're watching what happens when people with the purse strings don't give AF about quality, just the bottom line.

I consider myself a dyed-in-the-wool Star Wars fan, but I've never seen either of the Ewok movies - and I don't need to see them to know they're not worth my time. As for the Holiday Special, I watched it in its entirety -once- on CBS in 1978. The cartoon is the only redeeming component and it hasn't even aged well.

I'd throw Rogue One and The Last Jedi into the "not worth my time" category as well, but I enjoyed The Force Awakens (for the most part). I don't really put a lot of weight on these new offerings, really. They're not going to ever capture the 1977/1980 magic again. And good or bad, the new movies do nothing to taint my affection for the OT. We haven't had a great Star Wars film since 1980 so my disappointment in the sequel and story movies is no surprise.

When I say, "Disney", I mean KK. She reports to Bob Iger, CEO of Disney. He has the power to fire her and hire a high-SWIQ replacement, who could turn this franchise around, and give us true fans the Star Wars films we want and deserve.

Not going to happen as long as the people involved on the production front-lines are trying to make a STAR WARS movie instead of just making a good movie. You think Kershner gave a crap about Star Wars? I'd wager he didn't, but he knew how to direct actors and put out a solid product. The production designers, writers, et al. made it look and sound like Star Wars.

Now, unfortunately, all of the people in those positions are too affected by a lifetime of exposure to the source material to objectively do anything great with it.

My dead serious and sincere Star Wars worst to best:

12. TLJ

11. THE Holliday special

10. ewoks: caravan of courage

9. the Ewok movie

8. TFA

7. AOTC

6. TPM

5. ROTS

4. R1

3. ROTJ

2. ESB

1. Star Wars

my exact list.

Althought in mine, 6 and 7 could go either way

i have a copy of each movie in my collection except TLJ.

Last edited:
Now, unfortunately, all of the people in those positions are too affected by a lifetime of exposure to the source material to objectively do anything great with it.

Coop, I disagree that this is the problem. A lot of people in show business just aren't very talented. And a lot of people KK is hiring to make these movies have low-SWIQs.

The Wook

SW is a dream franchise from a business perspective, even bad SW makes a bloody fortune. There is zero risk it seems.
They can go to the well again and again, the fandom is multigenerational now. And f course international, China really
being the only market they stress about.

11. The Holiday Special (But I only watch the Redletter Media Best of the Worst recap, thus it is DEFINITELY more entertaining than Rogue One and Phantom Menace)
Hey hey hey, remember what Mike said, you need to sit through this from start to finish to have the right to complain about it! ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back