Solo: A Star Wars Story

On another note, the planet Mimban will feature in 'Solo' so Disney hasn't completely canned the EU.
Edited: I see now that Mimban was re-cannonized in 'Clone Wars'. Interesting.

Sure, we can compare the two since we're talking about intentionally commercializing a story element to help sell products. I refer you back to post #4089.

If you're cool with Ewoks and thought they served some greater good for the story, then we disagree (despite lots of screen time, I don't recall them doing anything truly useful that resulted in bringing down the Empire, do you?) but the same underlying design principle and goal were at work in both cases.

Referring me back to post #4089 is rather pointless. You havent proved that the Ewoks were intentionally commercializing a story element to help sell products but you have proved that about the Porgs. How many of the FO did the Porgs kill? The Ewoks were worth it just for the Stormtrooper helmet drum scene. Mauls double lightsaber may have been a merchandising element as well but it was well done and brought something tremendous to the story. Which is the whole point of this conversation.

The Ewoks actually made it possible for Death Star 2 to be destroyed, so yeah they did help in bringing the Empire down. Big time.

Last edited:
Jar-Jar was the worst of this. Forced humor.

Ewoks stepped over the line a little with their cutesy humor as did the Porgs.

R2 & 3PO are ment to be comic relief and for the most part hit the nail on the head at the right moments in the OT, especially ANH, which established them as a bickering duo and R2 as a McGuffin.

BB8 was good in TFA i thought but started to get abused in TLJ.

R1 had K2S0 and I thought was done brilliantly! Maybe it's the actor who makes such a difference?

S0L0 will have a new droid supporting character, hoping for the best. From what little previews we've seen she will have a unique personality.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Solo being a Star Wars Anthology film you don't have to hope for the best it WILL be the best. I can't wait for May 25th!! :D

I love the Ewoks. If there is room for cool looking or scary looking aliens, then there is certainly room for cute ones too.

They may not have been Wookies, but they literally used their environment to topple the Empire's war machines. Had they not helped the Rebel Strike team, which was only a handful of people, the war would have been lost to the Empire. Thematically it works and logically it works.

The design resulting in a kid friendly toy to me was a (wait for it) BUY product (see what I did there?) of the development of the story, rather than an intentional choice. I think the surprise that these furry little teddy bears being more intelligent than they first appeared worked just as Luke never expected Jedi Master Yoda to be some little green frog in ESB. I also liked how they banded together with the Ewoks and became part of their tribe in order to fight along side one another. It's like a twist on the old adventure serials where the heroes befriend one native and have to fight off other tribes during their quests.

I love the Ewoks. If there is room for cool looking or scary looking aliens, then there is certainly room for cute ones too.

They may not have been Wookies, but they literally used their environment to topple the Empire's war machines. Had they not helped the Rebel Strike team, which was only a handful of people, the war would have been lost to the Empire. Thematically it works and logically it works.

The design resulting in a kid friendly toy to me was a (wait for it) BUY product (see what I did there?) of the development of the story, rather than an intentional choice. I think the surprise that these furry little teddy bears being more intelligent than they first appeared worked just as Luke never expected Jedi Master Yoda to be some little green frog in ESB. I also liked how they banded together with the Ewoks and became part of their tribe in order to fight along side one another. It's like a twist on the old adventure serials where the heroes befriend one native and have to fight off other tribes during their quests.

Absolutely, well said.
There was more emotion in the death of one and the bereavement from his buddy in that one scene than anything produced from the last three movies in total, even Han`s passing. Good luck to Jar Jar Abrams as well coming up with a better ending for the current trilogy, I still do a slow soul groove Billy Dee style whenever the opportunity arises. Yub nub, eee chop yub nub.

Last edited:
I saw ANH when I was 5. First Star Wars film I saw and it blew my mind and it's my favorite of the three. The original trilogy are the only films in the series that matter to me. I'm 37 so my first experience with them was on VHS at home and in 1997 I saw the Special Editions. Despite all of the crappy additions it was great experiencing them on the big screen.

I saw ANH when I was 5. First Star Wars film I saw and it blew my mind and it's my favorite of the three. The original trilogy are the only films in the series that matter to me. I'm 37 so my first experience with them was on VHS at home and in 1997 I saw the Special Editions. Despite all of the crappy additions it was great experiencing them on the big screen.

So I'm guessing you saw ROTJ days, or perhaps weeks, after you saw ANH. Yes?

I know we're off-topic, but I thought I'd chime in about Ewoks too. :)

I didn't see them as a merchandising gimmick, but I did see them as an off-tone plot contrivance. (In truth, I saw almost all of ROTJ as an off-tone plot contrivance, so they were actually less jarring than they could have been; but I digress.)

Irony has its dark side; sure, you can color it as, "Wow, what a feel-good twist, ultimately it came down to fuzzy little adorables to defeat the Empire!", but the flip side of that is, "Wow, what a huge disservice to the magnitude of the story we've been fed, the battles that have been fought, and the lives that have been lost, to have these freakin' teddy bears decide the galaxy's fate".

I happen to be a part of the latter, obviously, but I do see how people could find ROTJ entertaining. Just not my cup of tea (admittedly, I've never liked my SW to be fun and chipper). Though, having just been burned with that approach, I am looking forward to fun and laughs with SOLO.

As always, IMHO.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back