Solo: A Star Wars Story

If WE have our reservations, I'm certain Disney has concerns. The fact that this movie has been so massively under marketed shows. As a buddy of mine off site said, Disney is probably prepared for the worst, while hoping for the best

I would very much disagree it's under marketed. Since TLJ left theaters they have thrown a decent amount of marketing budget at it, it's become pretty ubiquitous across TV, print media, and online. Keep in mind theses financial costs to Lucasfilm are small and to Disney de minimus. Without question the budget was severely blown out by the change of directors but unless the film stalls at $400M global they will be profitable. There is a inevitability to variation in box office performance for Lucasfilm releases going forward due to the sheer volume of content. Its also worth noting that Lucasfilm as a company is hugely profitable across so many different lines of business beyond the studio. I know some wish Lucasfilm to fail but that is widely unrealistic. Just like Marvel, some films will be great, some ok, some not so good but that;'s only a part of their revenue. This franchise will endure for decades to come regardless of how an one film is received.

- - - Updated - - -

RT's fresh or rotten rating is a 50/50 up or down thing. Always has been. How that becomes a comment on left wing politics is beyond me.

Yet here we are.

Last edited:
I would very much disagree it's under marketed. Since TLJ left theaters they have thrown a decent amount of marketing budget at it, it's become pretty ubiquitous across TV, print media, and online. Without question the budget was severely blown out by the change of directors but unless the film stalls at $400M global they will be profitable.
I only meant in terms of in comparison to TFA, R1, and TLJ. All of those seemed to have much bigger marketing campaigns than Solo. Not saying there's a conspiracy or anything, but the movie just hasn't gotten nearly as much exposure as any that has come before it. We didn't even get a teaser trailer until February. To put it in perspective, the first teaser for TFA came out 13 months prior to the film, Rogue One's came out 7 months prior to release, and TLJ's came out 14 months prior. Disney's had only 4 months to sell this movie to a nervous post-TLJ audience, many of whom are aware of the the in production troubles this movie has had. If we were marketing this movie like normal, we should have had a teaser out by last Thanksgiving, and the first trailer out with TLJ in theaters. For a Star Wars movie, this has indeed been undersold.

Yet here we are.
Don't you know? Everything is a liberal conspiracy! Global Warming, racism, Star Wars, puberty. :p

They could just try making movies that have nothing to do with any characters that we already know and about events that have nothing to do with anything we've seen before. Set in the same universe but a different time or place and with new characters and nothing to do with the rebellion/ empire conflict.

We already knew that Rogue One would end with the characters succeeding in getting the plans for the first Death Star. We already knew that Anakin turned to the dark side in the prequel trilogy. I just gave everyone the essential synopsis to Solo. Since we know the end to each of these stories then they aren't really adding anything substantial to the mythos. That's 5 movies where we already knew the end.

Can't like this enough, been saying it for years. We haven't gotten a "new" Star Wars movie since the OT, it's like nobody has any faith in this franchise to stand on it's own without these characters.

By that logic, doesn't that mean that we technically haven't gotten a "new" Star Wars movie since 1977? I mean, ESB and RotJ both used recurring characters too. :confused

Absolutely, they were the continuation of a trilogy, an extension of the first film.

I only meant in terms of in comparison to TFA, R1, and TLJ. All of those seemed to have much bigger marketing campaigns than Solo. Not saying there's a conspiracy or anything, but the movie just hasn't gotten nearly as much exposure as any that has come before it. We didn't even get a teaser trailer until February. To put it in perspective, the first teaser for TFA came out 13 months prior to the film, Rogue One's came out 7 months prior to release, and TLJ's came out 14 months prior. Disney's had only 4 months to sell this movie to a nervous post-TLJ audience, many of whom are aware of the the in production troubles this movie has had. If we were marketing this movie like normal, we should have had a teaser out by last Thanksgiving, and the first trailer out with TLJ in theaters. For a Star Wars movie, this has indeed been undersold.

Yeah but the difference being they have NEVER released two films in such close proximity. TLJ was still in theaters at the start of Feb. It was always going to be the case they would wait until they cleared that deck before even beginning the Solo campaign in earnest.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't like this enough, been saying it for years. We haven't gotten a "new" Star Wars movie since the OT, it's like nobody has any faith in this franchise to stand on it's own without these characters.

Oh, also inevitable. 20 years from now Star Wars will be entirely unrecognizable in terms of characters to what we know today.

Yeah but the difference being they have NEVER released two films in such close proximity. TLJ was still in theaters at the start of Feb. It was always going to be the case they would wait until they cleared that deck before even beginning the Solo campaign in earnest.
They still could have done it. It would have been odd to see a SW trailer in front of a SW movie, but that's really what they should have done. This movie could use all the positive press it can get, and frankly, it's just not getting it. I love Han Solo. I cried like a baby when they killed off his character in TFA, but I my interest in this movie is nearly nonexistent. I have a piqued curiosity, not much else. I should be hyped as Hell for this movie, but I'm not.

They still could have done it. It would have been odd to see a SW trailer in front of a SW movie, but that's really what they should have done. This movie could use all the positive press it can get, and frankly, it's just not getting it. I love Han Solo. I cried like a baby when they killed off his character in TFA, but I my interest in this movie is nearly nonexistent. I have a piqued curiosity, not much else. I should be hyped as Hell for this movie, but I'm not.

It's a tough call. They made the decision they did and going forward we'll see if that changes is other realeses come so close together...which I think is likely. I think a 2 films per year release schedule is in the cards eventually, especially with the launch of the streaming serivice in 2019. You were always going to be a tough sell for this film because you love Han and that means Harrison's Han. Just keep in mind this film was a Gerorge Lucas idea, he wanted this to happen, for what it's worth. :)

Is there going to be any additional filmed Star Wars material the rest of this year or 2019? Or is it all open until 2020?

Just keep in mind this film was a Gerorge Lucas idea, he wanted this to happen, for what it's worth. :)

Its not worth anything. This information came out about a couple of months ago with no more detail than it was probably just a thought bubble from Lucas among dozens of other ideas he had for future projects. Given that and the fact Disney threw out his basic layout for the sequel trilogy and went with their own failing ones, any attempt to lay the straight up money grab that is Solo at his feet are feeble at best.

@The Wook , mate you might get a kick out of the Roz Weston review of Solo on YouTube ... may put a smile on your dial !
Apologies for not being able to post a direct link to it though .
I swear , while Rian Johnson’s thought processes on making TLJ confounded / frustrated me no end , using computer related stuff is a close second ! :$

:cheersGed

Last edited:
Its not worth anything. This information came out about a couple of months ago with no more detail than it was probably just a thought bubble from Lucas among dozens of other ideas he had for future projects. Given that and the fact Disney threw out his basic layout for the sequel trilogy and went with their own failing ones, any attempt to lay the straight up money grab that is Solo at his feet are feeble at best.

Wrong, he hired Lawrence Kasdan to come in and write the story. Facts matter.

Obviously not very. Lucas probably had Kasdan and others do preliminary work on a lot of his ideas, goes with the territory I would assume. Facts do matter.

- - - Updated - - -

@The Wook , mate you might get a kick out of the Roz Weston review of Solo on YouTube ... may put a smile on your dial !
Apologies for not being able to post a direct link to it though .
I swear , while Rian Johnson’s thought processes on making TLJ confounded / frustrated me no end , using computer related stuff is a close second ! :$

:cheersGed

Saw that as well, seems they got the movie title wrong.;)

How far did it progress?

Kasdan was brought in in 2012 by GL and KK to develop the story treatement. He was working on it up through the aquisition by Disney. He was still working on it when the Arendt and GL story for Ep. VII was vacated and JJ asked Larry to help with that. I have posted the links to support this timeline in this thread, feel free to go back and research.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously not very. Lucas probably had Kasdan and others do preliminary work on a lot of his ideas, goes with the territory I would assume. Facts do matter.

"I would assume" is a poor substitution for "facts".

Kasdan was brought in in 2012 by GL and KK to develop the story treatement. He was working on it up through the aquisition by Disney. He was still working on it when the Arendt and GL story for Ep. VII was vacated and JJ asked Larry to help with that. I have posted the links to support this timeline in this thread, feel free to go back and research.

For all intents and purposes, LFL became Disney the moment KK was hired. She was sent there by Disney for recon and to facilitate the sale a few months later.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back