Solo: A Star Wars Story

The logo and the music looks and sounds like they lifted it from that God awful Dave Filoni Clone Wars show. It looked alright otherwise, but it will make a bazillion dollars and fans will be divided about it either way. If anything lasts about it, it will be that Lawrence Kaden wrote the script. Other that George Lucas's heavily doctored ANH script ( he had friends help him punch up the dialog and wonders done in editing) Kasdan seems to be the only other guy who can write a good Star Wars script. Any successes with TFA to my mind lie with his writing and less with J. J.

I know. I'm old and bitter, but ep. 8 really ruined Star Wars for me so I have little to no faith in the series anymore

Last edited:
Pretty soon they'll make a romantic comedy set on a vaguely McQuarrie style ship, slap the Star Wars logo on it and it will make billion dollars. It doesn't matter anymore at this point, the logo sells the product.

The only real weak spot for me was seeing the actor for Han Solo. All I can keep thinking is they went on this massive hunt and had thousands of people audition.... and THIS was the best of them?

Not to be mean. The guy is a good actor, and I see some fragments of Solo in this, but i'm not fully convinced (yet). That's the only thing that puts a bit of the sourness in my mouth.

Regardless I'll be there for the first showing. I REALLY want to see this and I desperately want to be wrong about the guy they chose to play Han. Maybe it will all be great.

Folks, it really is ok to just allow a Star Wars film to be simple fun.

Honestly, this is what I want. I like the new films, but I do have a beef with their tone. Really, since the prequels I've heard "Star Wars is for kids, these movies are made for the new generation!" I hear it even more lately in the defense of the new Saga characters. But, the movies don't seem to be for kids (at least not the age that mine are), being PG-13 and all. I know they're trying to strike a darker tone to please older fans like us (YMMV, clearly), but that seems to leave the little kids behind.

I was 6 for ROTJ, and I loved Jabba's palace, the Ewoks and the action. The Emperor was pretty scary, but the film was instantly accessible to me. Now I'll be the first to admit that my daughter (now 8) has always been a big chicken; but Snoke & Kylo are terrifying to her, and the darker tone of the new films makes seeing them in the theater too much. Thank goodness for Porgs. She handles them somewhat better at home. My son (now 4) WAS fearless and ok with all the movies, including TFA; but has recently crossed a developmental line where all bad guys scare the crap out of him. This has made family movie night difficult lately - Thrawn, Lord Farquad & Skeletor (from the Xmas special no-less) being recent stumbling blocks...

Anyway, the point is that I would love a PG Star Wars film that I can at least take one kid to go see without having to pry her face out of the seat cushions or spend 15 minutes in the lobby. Hopefully this will be light and fun.

Maybe a younger version of her ? After all , in TFA Han talks about her as if he’s known her for quite awhile , and she’s pretty fond of Chewie too !

In TFA they say she has run that outpost for a 1000 years so she probably wouldn't look much younger in this movie IF that was Maz.

Watched the teaser. Tough to get a read on it, but I only saw it on my phone. I'll likely see it in the theaters, but of all the Star Wars stuff coming out, this is the film I'm least enthusiastic about. My one hope is that it ends up used as a springboard (if it's good) for new characters to have new adventures. Same story with any future "Star Wars Story" films about existing characters.

One fun note: a friend of mine wondered if the droid we see might be Bollux/Blue Max. I did enjoy the old school Brian Daley Solo novels.

Thanks for posting the teaser posters.
I wonder why lando's costume is bright and
oversaturated. I think I prefer the fur coat he wore in yesterday's teaser.

IMG_4508.JPG

These are cool.

Watched the teaser. Tough to get a read on it, but I only saw it on my phone. I'll likely see it in the theaters, but of all the Star Wars stuff coming out, this is the film I'm least enthusiastic about. My one hope is that it ends up used as a springboard (if it's good) for new characters to have new adventures. Same story with any future "Star Wars Story" films about existing characters.

One fun note: a friend of mine wondered if the droid we see might be Bollux/Blue Max. I did enjoy the old school Brian Daley Solo novels.

The droid is the Phoebe Walker-Bridge character L3-37.

I don't think they're too worried about emulating Harrison Ford. At least it doesn't seem the case to me. It seems like he's doing his own thing, playing the character his own way. Which is the way it has to be.

I liked the teaser, and this trailer well enough. But I really can't escape the feeling of "Hey, they made a movie about Han's kid brother. Cool."

Pretty much my feeling. From the very short clips we got so far, I'm not convinced this is Han Solo, yet I'm not too concerned about it. If he isn't convincing, I'll just look at him as some other character within the Star Wars universe who happens to know Lando and Chewie.

Really liked the trailer and I think the movie looks like it could actually be good, but I've got a bad feeling(yes, that's intentional) about the kid playing Han. Even though he only has like 2 lines of dialogue in the trailer his delivery doesn't seem natural at all. Seeing as how he's the main character in this movie I think that could be a problem. Hopefully there's enough action and good supporting performances around him to make this thing work. Fingers crossed.

That Falcon underside view on the "name" Posters surely will upset some people. Pre Star wars, but extra landing gear boxes... and far less greeblies. I suppose Han did a LOT of upgrades and repairs after this. I really like the style of these posters though, I might get the Chewie one.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back