Solo: A Star Wars Story

From what I`m reading nobody has a problem with inclusion in Star Wars movies but they do have a problem with retrospective inclusion. But lets be honest here Bryan, you already knew that but posted anyway.

No, the Lando issue is retroactive and worth discussing. General inclusion of new characters of varying races is entirely immaterial to the story and when the complaints come from predominantly white male fans it sounds even more petty, but you know all about that.

No, you are saying the inclusion is pandering. Wrong, the inclusion has zero bearing on the story therefore why not afford more accessibility of characters to a broader audience?

I'm not saying inclusion is pandering

when I see a movie like the Dark tower for example. I could care less that he was played by a black actor. it was not relevant to the story and it was not obvious pandering

There is a difference between inclusion, and going out of the way to make a statement about something that does not need to be made for the story purposes

It's when the audience is hit over the head with something that has no bearing on the story is when I consider it pandering

My point being, that I could buy Lando's "pansexual" nature as it can help establish his character and could fit within his mythos. Since I haven't seen the movie yet I am not sure wwhihc way they have gone with it

So you can get off your high horse

True story......I came home tonight from working late,.....my birthday is tomorrow (well now it's today),....I opened a card & I got 2 £10 vouchers for the Odeon Cinema

My Son said,...we can use that to see Deadpool,....My daughter said "& you can use the other card to see the Han Solo film"

I asked them if they wanted to come with me to see the Solo film.....My daughter said,....Star Wars isn't good anymore, no one likes it

My son said he was going to wait till it comes out on BD

My son is 18 & my daughter is 11

Looks like I'm going Solo

J

Mine, too! And she has exactly the same attitude towards SOLO, interestingly enough. :unsure

Unlike you though, I'm making her go with me. I sat through the LEGO Batman movie with her so that has to be worth something. :lol

Ill go with you and bring my 5 year old. But after opening weekend, we are off to our cabin in Show Low over the holiday.

Everyone have a drink around the campfire tonight and chillax.

I'm doing so right now :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lando Colt 45.jpg

WTH cares? (in general, not aimed at you :lol) Do people really sit around and watch a movie and go "Gee I wonder if he's also into guys?" Just make a good movie! Also if you want gay/bi/etc characters, make them! Don't go around and change all the others. I cannot stand when they flip flop a characters gender/race/etc. That drives the fan part of my brain nuts! Also since Ryan Reynolds said this is the same orientation as Deadpool, I'm suspicious that this is a "hey look at us, we have a lgbtq character in our movie also!!!"

To clarify that because a couple people cannot read apparently. I said don't change existing characters. If you want to make lgbtq characters, make them from the ground up as new characters. Unless it's completely relevant to the story, there's zero need in SW to tell what everyone's sexual orientation is other than to score PC brownie points. I don't care. For some to start people calling people bigots, then you need to learn to read before you type.

To clarify that because a couple people cannot read apparently. I said don't change existing characters. If you want to make lgbtq characters, make them from the ground up as new characters. Unless it's completely relevant to the story, there's zero need in SW to tell what everyone's sexual orientation is other than to score PC brownie points. I don't care. For some to start people calling people bigots, then you need to learn to read before you type.
Happy Lando.gif:cheers

No, you are saying the inclusion is pandering. Wrong, the inclusion has zero bearing on the story therefore why not afford more accessibility of characters to a broader audience? How is that insulting? I know a great many Asian woman love Rose Rico because she is them. Is that wrong? Did it matter what her ethnicity was?

Rose was not cast because she was Asian just to be inclusive of Asian audiences. She was cast because she was the right person for the role as things should be

“I wanted someone who 10-year-old me would truly be able to relate to, someone who was a genuine nerd, someone who it would be a little surprising that they were front and forward in a ‘Star Wars’ movie – because that’s how I would feel if I was stuck in the middle of a ‘Star Wars’ adventure,” Johnson laughed. “Like, ‘What am I doing here?’”

Finding his Rose, the most important new addition to the cast, was a laborious search for the best actress for the role. Once Johnson cast Vietnamese American San Diego native Tran as Rose, the search to cast the pivotal role of her sister Paige led him to Vietnamese actress and singer Ngo.

“I was not looking for a specific ethnicity,” said Johnson, who auditioned Caucasian actresses as well as women of color for the part. “We saw a lot of talented actresses of a very broad range — but honestly, it was more about finding Kelly. There was something about Kelly that had that kind of genuine oddball nature and a real sweetness to her. She has the most open heart of anyone I’ve ever met and I knew that was going to shine through onscreen. I knew that I was going to be rooting for her in the movie.”

Rose was not cast because she was Asian just to be inclusive of Asian audiences. She was cast because she was the right person for the role as things should be

“I wanted someone who 10-year-old me would truly be able to relate to, someone who was a genuine nerd, someone who it would be a little surprising that they were front and forward in a ‘Star Wars’ movie – because that’s how I would feel if I was stuck in the middle of a ‘Star Wars’ adventure,” Johnson laughed. “Like, ‘What am I doing here?’”

Finding his Rose, the most important new addition to the cast, was a laborious search for the best actress for the role. Once Johnson cast Vietnamese American San Diego native Tran as Rose, the search to cast the pivotal role of her sister Paige led him to Vietnamese actress and singer Ngo.

“I was not looking for a specific ethnicity,” said Johnson, who auditioned Caucasian actresses as well as women of color for the part. “We saw a lot of talented actresses of a very broad range — but honestly, it was more about finding Kelly. There was something about Kelly that had that kind of genuine oddball nature and a real sweetness to her. She has the most open heart of anyone I’ve ever met and I knew that was going to shine through onscreen. I knew that I was going to be rooting for her in the movie.”

Then I apologize, we are saying the same thing :)

Not sure how to post an Instagram pic:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi8WPCxgfVg/
Not bad. Hasbros blows, as usual, but that's not bad. Just wish the humans were better to scale.

Oh c'mon, we all know Lando would **** anything that moves. Colt 40, works EVERY time.
You know, I always did think of Lando as the Kirk of the Star Wars movies. Always got a gorgeous green babe under each arm. Doesn't matter the species.

I don't recall the Internet all upside down when it was revealed Leia was Luke's brother and they had been romantically involved....
That's because it was hetero incest.

Bryan, you are so full of schit it's coming out your ears. Kasdan the Younger co-wrote the film, and he said Lando is pansexual. That means he had conversations with Donald Glover about it prior to filming. And we now there are intimations in the film which support this change to his character. Lando calls Han, "Baby", as he looks him up and down in the cockpit (pardon the pun). And in another scene Lando's jealous female droid outs and bittches at Lando for being flirty with Han.

I'm sorry, but just saying, well, Lando can still be a ladies man as a pansexual, so nothing has really changed, is total BS. Making him pansexual means he's sexually attracted to men--and that is a huge change.

Everyone knows my grave reservations about Alden. I have concerns about Chewie, as well. And the Falcon is ugly AF with the mandibles filled in. So, before last night, I thought Lando could be the film's one redeeming quality. But now, the guy who wrote the movie tells me Lando likes having sex with men, and I'm supposed to just ignore that when I'm watching him interact with Han. I don't want to think about Lando undressing Han with his eyes, or wonder what sexual motives he may have in their dealings.

The whole thing's just a big, fracking, gross mess.

The Wook.

Yeaaaah, no. Sorry, but not every gay man is secretly hitting on the guy next to them. They're perfectly capable of holding a conversation without "undressing you with their eyes". We straight men don't hit on any woman we come across, at least most of us don't. It's not any different.

An old friend...supposedly who makes an appearance in this film.

Now there's a topic worthy of our discussion.

Everyone have a drink around the campfire tonight and chillax.

I'm doing so right now :)
Would love to be, but a recent rainstorm made everything soggy. :(

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back