Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Voicing my opinion on a forum isn't going to stop Disney from making whatever they want. I just think it's a bad concept for a movie. Being a fan of something doesn't mean I'm obligated to like it just because it's got the logo attached to it. And as far as watching it once, perhaps I will be completely wrong and end up enjoying it. I mean I watched a ton of crap movies, sometimes even knowing beforehand that my opinion was going to bias my perspective on it. In some cases I ended up being pleasantly surprised. In others my expectations of disappointment were met. The point being that I love movies and will watch them even if they are bad. Will this Han Solo movie be any good? Will it be a huge hit? I don't know. I suspect not, but I could be completely wrong. I'm just voicing my opinion on a forum.

As much as I hate to admit it, Star Wars is a product. I am a consumer and while some Star Wars dishes will be top notch gourmet meals, others will be junkie McDonald's food. Being a fan also means that I'm going to be more critical of it because I care so much about it. It sounds counter intuitive but that is the nature of being emotionally invested in something. The fact that I am even debating this at 9:30 in the morning on my day off and not sleeping instead is proof of this. Lol

Last edited:

Take it with a grain of salt since the source being quoted is anonymous, but Variety is saying Lord and Miller were in fact fired over "a culture clash from day one" with not just Kennedy but also story co-writer Lawrence Kasdan.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/

I can guarantee this project would have ended up being "21 Jump Street in Space". Glad they jettisoned these guys. Hopefully, some actors walk out on it, too. (I'm looking at you Alden.)

I am biased towards Ron Howard. Not only did I love Happy Days but I love his films, Apollo 13 and Parenthood two of my favorites. He also still lives in my home town of Greenwich CT and a friend of mine in high school baby sat his kids, including baby Bryce, in the early '80's. They are the nicest people.

While I still don't think this movie is a great idea, I am a Ron Howard fan. I don't think I've seen a movie of his I thought was outright bad. "Night Shift" was one of the first R-rated movies I saw. Loved that movie.

I am biased towards Ron Howard. Not only did I love Happy Days but I love his films, Apollo 13 and Parenthood two of my favorites. He also still lives in my home town of Greenwich CT and a friend of mine in high school baby sat his kids, including baby Bryce, in the early '80's. They are the nicest people.
And you cant forget Willow and Backdraft, two of my favorite movies. I think Ron Howard would be great, although I havent seen any of his stuff he has done lately. He also had a huge hand to play in Arrested Development, so he has some comedy chops that could work with Han as well.

Didn't really have any feelings one way or another regarding this anthology film.... but now Ron Howard has me excited!

If this turns out well, I hope he'll step into another Star Wars film.

Having second hand personal experience with him and his family I can say he is a man devoid of ego. He's not the kind of director to come into this project at this stage and try and put his personal stamp on the film. He will likely message what Lord and Miller have committed to film and adjust the time to more closely match what Kasdan wrote. He will also bring a huge amount of calm and credibility to a production that has clearly had a lot of turmoil.

I can guarantee this project would have ended up being "21 Jump Street in Space". Glad they jettisoned these guys. Hopefully, some actors walk out on it, too. (I'm looking at you Alden.)

Yeah, it just seemed odd that it took so long to realize they hired the wrong guys. But I agree, Howard seems like a good match for the material. It's been an interesting production so far, to say the least.

Yeah, so Ron played in American Graffiti, a Uncle George movie, with Ford and now he's slatted to direct this one...wow, talking about full circle here;)

Based on social media reactions I am seeing this change has actually increased interest for this film from those who were more ambivalent or somewhat negative towards the project in general.
You ain't kidding. Even my Mom will be excited about this now. She loves Ron Howard (Mom is just a bit older than him and watched him grow up as Opie). I think most everyone loves Opie, and can appreciate his talent.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back