Solo: A Star Wars Story

There... found it for you....while I was reading the post ;)

Screenshot (718).png

High MIQ post, Kristen (Music IQ). :cool

If the studios can get the original Ghostbusters to praise the remake, and get James Cameron to praise all these bad Terminator movies at their openings, and get Harrison Ford to play Han Solo again at all, then I think they can get Ron Howard to say Harrison liked the new Solo flick.

I’ve tried but he seems to loose interest, except for ROTJ.

Really? Wow. We've watched ANH a dozen times. I think the only two that my kids weren't that interested in were ESB and ATOC. I was really impressed at how they "Got" ROTS. When the "sneaky sounding old man" revealed that he was the emperor, they completely understood what was going on in the galaxy.

We also watched them in this order:

ANH
ESB
TPM
ATOC
ROTS
ROTJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Novv2nh0Q

Really? Wow. We've watched ANH a dozen times. I think the only two that my kids weren't that interested in were ESB and ATOC. I was really impressed at how they "Got" ROTS. When the "sneaky sounding old man" revealed that he was the emperor, they completely understood what was going on in the galaxy.

We also watched them in this order:

ANH
ESB
TPM
ATOC
ROTS
ROTJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Novv2nh0Q

I’m open range on his Star Wars consumption, I just let him watch what he wants too when he wants to. :)

Have you shown him the original 6?

Original SIX?

There’s an original THREE... don’t know what this six business is...

I had very specific plans of how/what/when to introduce my son to Star Wars. Then one day when he was three I got home to find that my mom had found ROTJ on TV and just threw it on in the middle. I was bothered at first, then a year later, the Clone Wars cartoon started up.

It was crazy to see how he and his friends made Star Wars their thing, just as I had at his age, but with a completely different Star Wars. To them, the movies were a cool novelty, but the cartoon was the center of their world. After that, and some unsuccesful attempts to get him into X-Men, I got over trying to curate his fan experience. I don’t need to recreate my youth with him. Since then. I’ve let him discover his own things. He’s 13 now, and prefers the films (Rogue One is his favorite) over the cartoons.

Last edited:
Original SIX?

There’s an original THREE... don’t know what this six business is...

I had very specific plans of how/what/when to introduce my son to Star Wars. Then one day when he was three I got home to find that my mom had found ROTJ on TV and just threw it on in the middle. I was bothered at first, then a year later, the Clone Wars cartoon started up.

It was crazy to see how he and his friends hade Star Wars their thing, just as I had at his age, but with a completely different Star Wars. To them, the movies were a cool novelty, but the cartoon was the center of their world. After that, and some unsuccesful attempts to get him into X-Men, I got over trying to curate his fan experience. I don’t need to recreate my youth with him. Since then. I’ve let him discover his own things. He’s 13 now, and prefers the films (Rogue One is his favorite) over the cartoons.

there are 6 films by the creator, the maker.

After we are on our 18th Disney film, I think people will notice a real distinction between them and the original 6.

Regardless, I can't wait for my kids to be old enough for the clone wars. I friggin' love that show

Totally respect your position... but for me, the PT is so far off the mark I can’t put them in the same category as the OT. The ST is far from perfect, but it at least FEELS like SW to me in a way the PT never did.
I totally get that. But I have this feeling that after the bulk of star wars material is from Disney, we will notice how it's shifted. And people will see the "original six" as something very different.

We can already see how Disney is trying to find their tone. They still haven't found it. But when they do, it will be it's own thing entirely

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The Wook said:
Alrighty then. You're obviously a man who does not take constructive criticism well. And you obviously are not all that interested in having me answer your question, whatever it was.

Suit yourself.

Sorry, Wook. I can read between the lines of your reply, and it reads like a slap in the face veiled as constructive criticism. Apologies if I am wrong about that.

I chose to roll with the punches and have a sense of humor about it, while keeping it relatively short and sweet for you.

It feels like a moot point to try to engage someone in a discussion who can't be bothered to read a single page or two, and wants the Twitter version fed to him with baby spoons, but what the hell. I will be a sport about it:

When Lando owned the Falcon, he had a droid co-pilot with a female personality named L3-37, with whom he had an interesting dynamic with. She demonstrates jealousy over her perception of Lando showing interest in other sentients, including the young Han Solo. This unorthodox relationship ends up influencing the story of how the < 12 parsec Kessel run plays out, and the character development of Lando, and ultimately the Falcon as well.

L3, also functioning as the navigational computer, and motivated by her feelings for Lando, enables the navigational course that makes the record run possible, but it comes at a cost. L3 perishes as a result of the perilous course. The Falcon survives, despite heavy damage that brings it closer to the condition we first saw in ANH.

Lando's con-man swindler persona, and the manipulation of his relationship with L3 to take the risky path, leads him to regret. He has lost his partner, and it turns out his feelings for her really were deeper than he let on. This is compounded by the damage caused to his pimped out ship, which he then also loses to Han in a gamble. This leads Lando to start down a personal growth path, which will eventually lead to his role as the responsible Administrator of Cloud City, and eventual hero role as a General in the Rebel Alliance.

However, we get a happier ending by L3's droid brain living on as part of the Falcon's hybrid navi-computer, part of the "strange computers" commented on by C-3PO in ESB, and storied in the EU.

This is simply a hypothetical and speculative example of how the "pansexual" dynamic could work, while never being overtly sexual and out of place for Star Wars, and actually serving the story, without changing anything previously established in the canon.

My question is whether or not such a handling of the issue would still make you sick, for whatever reasons.

My daughter is 2, so I have a few years before this really becomes an issue. But my basic plan is as follows. For starters, over the next 2 years or so, I want to get her more into the world of fantasy in broad terms. She's already being exposed to it somewhat by her grandparents, thanks to old books of mine from when I was a kid. But I'm talking really imaginative stuff like fairy tales and folk tales and such. At 2, her version of "fantasy" is pretending to do mundane stuff that we normally do (e.g. "I'm going to the office!" "I'm buying groceries!" "My farm animals get on the bus and go to school!"). Anthropomorphized animals are basically "normal" for her in her stories, but they're often doing pretty regular human-type stuff. The next two years I'm going to start to branch out into more fantastical tales. Greek and Norse mythology, Grimm's fairy tales (probably a bit more kid-friendly versions), other stuff along those lines. Then when she's had a decent basis in that stuff, I'm going to tell her ANH (maybe the entire OT?) as a long bedtime story, and then let her watch the OT. Probably when she's around 5 or so.

From that point forward, a lot will depend on how much I think she's able to handle emotionally. R1, ROTS, and the sequel films are all pretty damn intense from an emotional perspective. Way moreso than the OT, I'd say. They have less of a "fairy tale" quality to them, and more of a "fantasy" quality, and therefore likely are better approached by a slightly older audience (e.g., like 9-10 or so, rather than 5-7). The cartoon series, I think, are a lot easier to handle, so I'd probably let her watch those a bit sooner, although I'll have to figure out how to sort things in terms of the films.

I think the real key will be that the duology of ROTS will be the capstone of her Clone Wars experience, and R1 will be the capstone of her Rebels experience, and all of that together will be her "prequel" series.

TPM and AOTC, I think, are fairly pointless. I'm going to treat them like "appendices." She can watch them if she wants, but I'm not really interested in showing them to her.

The sequel trilogy will likely be explored when she's about 9 or so. I just think that, if you're a kid coming off of the OT, the sequel trilogy is tonally a lot sadder and more emotionally intense than the OT. Pacing is different, action is more intense and fast, and the music is way more fraught in terms of conveying emotion. She's already tried watching certain shorter movies (e.g. the cartoon version of The Gruffalo) and the music can be "too scary" for her, even (especially?) at 2.

So, I guess we'll see.

Of course, depending on what she's into on her own and what her friends are into, this whole plan may end up tossed out the window.

My daughter is 2, so I have a few years before this really becomes an issue. But my basic plan is as follows. For starters, over the next 2 years or so, I want to get her more into the world of fantasy in broad terms. She's already being exposed to it somewhat by her grandparents, thanks to old books of mine from when I was a kid. But I'm talking really imaginative stuff like fairy tales and folk tales and such. At 2, her version of "fantasy" is pretending to do mundane stuff that we normally do (e.g. "I'm going to the office!" "I'm buying groceries!" "My farm animals get on the bus and go to school!"). Anthropomorphized animals are basically "normal" for her in her stories, but they're often doing pretty regular human-type stuff. The next two years I'm going to start to branch out into more fantastical tales. Greek and Norse mythology, Grimm's fairy tales (probably a bit more kid-friendly versions), other stuff along those lines. Then when she's had a decent basis in that stuff, I'm going to tell her ANH (maybe the entire OT?) as a long bedtime story, and then let her watch the OT. Probably when she's around 5 or so.

From that point forward, a lot will depend on how much I think she's able to handle emotionally. R1, ROTS, and the sequel films are all pretty damn intense from an emotional perspective. Way moreso than the OT, I'd say. They have less of a "fairy tale" quality to them, and more of a "fantasy" quality, and therefore likely are better approached by a slightly older audience (e.g., like 9-10 or so, rather than 5-7). The cartoon series, I think, are a lot easier to handle, so I'd probably let her watch those a bit sooner, although I'll have to figure out how to sort things in terms of the films.

I think the real key will be that the duology of ROTS will be the capstone of her Clone Wars experience, and R1 will be the capstone of her Rebels experience, and all of that together will be her "prequel" series.

TPM and AOTC, I think, are fairly pointless. I'm going to treat them like "appendices." She can watch them if she wants, but I'm not really interested in showing them to her.

The sequel trilogy will likely be explored when she's about 9 or so. I just think that, if you're a kid coming off of the OT, the sequel trilogy is tonally a lot sadder and more emotionally intense than the OT. Pacing is different, action is more intense and fast, and the music is way more fraught in terms of conveying emotion. She's already tried watching certain shorter movies (e.g. the cartoon version of The Gruffalo) and the music can be "too scary" for her, even (especially?) at 2.

So, I guess we'll see.

Of course, depending on what she's into on her own and what her friends are into, this whole plan may end up tossed out the window.

I found that the key to showing them PTM, ATOC was to get them invested in Anakin. They had already seen ANH and ESB so they knew where it was going. But they really cared about his poor choices.

SO much so that when we went and watched ROTJ, they no longer called him Vader; he was now Anakin. And when he threw Palpatine down the shaft to save Luke, the payoff was huge. They were cheering for Darth vader.

Watching them in that order was quite a great ride

Last edited:
I totally get that. But I have this feeling that after the bulk of star wars material is from Disney, we will notice how it's shifted. And people will see the "original six" as something very different.

We can already see how Disney is trying to find their tone. They still haven't found it. But when they do, it will be it's own thing entirely

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I got tickets for me and my son Friday morning at 10:15!

Opening Holiday Weekend estimates..

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-...obal-opening-memorial-day-weekend-1202395995/

Last edited:
Let's be honest about Ford's comments on this film. Ford did Force Awakens, Blade Runner 2049, and now Indy 5 so he could have more planes to crash.

But seriously, he likes his planes and planes aren't cheap. He knows how to make easy money to do his hobby, and that's fine as long as he keeps the quality going

there are 6 films by the creator, the maker.

After we are on our 18th Disney film, I think people will notice a real distinction between them and the original 6.

Regardless, I can't wait for my kids to be old enough for the clone wars. I friggin' love that show

Original Six (Hockey reference) and "The Creator" (Star Trek reference) in a Star Wars thread. :thumbsup Oh the joy of geek-dum.

- - - Updated - - -

I got tickets for me and my son Friday morning at 10:15!

Opening Holiday Weekend estimates..

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-...obal-opening-memorial-day-weekend-1202395995/

May your movie viewing be void of cellphones and seat kickers.

Let's be honest about Ford's comments on this film. Ford did Force Awakens, Blade Runner 2049, and now Indy 5 so he could have more planes to crash.

But seriously, he likes his planes and planes aren't cheap. He knows how to make easy money to do his hobby, and that's fine as long as he keeps the quality going

Let's be honest, you have no idea what he thinks or feels. What is true is he saw the movie twice, which for him is very odd.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back