Solo: A Star Wars Story

The train heist within the first hour doesn't count? The Kessel run didn't do anything for you?

The train heist was entertaining, but it didn't make me sit up or go "wow." And the Kessel run was a disappointment for the most part, plus as I said earlier, the reuse of music from Empire really hurt it.

That I hated - Maul was killed in the Phantom Menace. Yes perhaps they made a mistake in killing off what may have worked out to be a good long term villain, but I hate this thing that he survived being cut in half just shows how cr@p the stories have been post rotj (bar R1 which fits well into the OT)!

I totally get that. I mean, how does someone get their arms and legs cut completely off, then burned to a crisp at the edge of a lava river and left for dead survive? Darth Vader totally should have died in Revenge of the Sith.

Maul survived being cut in half the same way Vader survived his own injuries, through the power of the Dark Side of the Force. Also, who really knows the anatomy and physiology of a Dathomiri Zabrak?

Eventually, Lucasfilm realized they killed the best thing about TPM and brought him back.

Yeah the kessel run should have been a bigger gauntlet of star destroyers, and tie fighters, forget the stupid space monster and black hole.

I totally get that. I mean, how does someone get their arms and legs cut completely off, then burned to a crisp at the edge of a lava river and left for dead survive? Darth Vader totally should have died in Revenge of the Sith.

Maul survived being cut in half the same way Vader survived his own injuries, through the power of the Dark Side of the Force. Also, who really knows the anatomy and physiology of a Dathomiri Zabrak?

Eventually, Lucasfilm realized they killed the best thing about TPM and brought him back.

See I didn't mind the lava stuff, yes he is badly burnt but I think the fact someone knows he is there and goes to his aid makes it somewhat more plausible.

Yeah the kessel run should have been a bigger gauntlet of star destroyers, and tie fighters, forget the stupid space monster and black hole.

LOL. The Kessel run in the EU wasn't famous because there were lots of star destroyers in the way, it's because it was a nightmare of gravity wells and natural obstacles. Would have been a real shame if they replaced it with "OMG! ANOTHER​ star destroyer!?"

The Kessel Run was said to have black holes and it wasnt a race of time, but shortest distance from start to finish, the navicomputer (L3) had the best route to find a short way to the end. Lets say its a foot obstacle course with the winner using the least steps to make it to the end :D

The train heist was entertaining, but it didn't make me sit up or go "wow." And the Kessel run was a disappointment for the most part, plus as I said earlier, the reuse of music from Empire really hurt it.

I felt the same about the music. It's one thing to use a character theme where appropriate, but this isn't a TV series where you can cut in generic action scene track #2. The asteroid chase music was specific to ESB and it felt out of place here.

Why was the empire even using trains? They have transport ships.

As we seen just after the train scene, ships are unstable and can go off their routes. They still use cables and rails, probably to ensure the cargo doesnt get damaged (or level a mountain lol)

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-trailer-3-scarif.jpg
C37pEG0WEAMzUqg.jpg

Alright, I’m just going to put my thoughts here since I have nothing else to do.
I don’t know if this was brought up, but I felt like close to all the acting in the movie seemed off in someway or another. I can’t remember any performances that felt right from this one. Also, I feel like the score wasn’t original enough and the whole “robot rights” thing was just a little much. When I saw the trailers, I was legitimately expecting something close to Rogue One in terms of quality, but this whole movie had a very “placeholder” feel to it, as if to just fill a gap between The Last Jedi and Episode IX. Other than Dath Maul still being alive and some A-list actors doing off putting performances, I’d say the movie as a whole is alright. It’s not what I’d call a bad movie, nor was it repulsive to me. But unless I’m trying to find a reference image or make a meme, I’m probably not going to watch this one again.

The Kessel Run was said to have black holes and it wasnt a race of time, but shortest distance from start to finish, the navicomputer (L3) had the best route to find a short way to the end. Lets say its a foot obstacle course with the winner using the least steps to make it to the end :D

Yup. You could plot a relatively safe course through it, along known routs, but it required a lot of stops, and realignments, and recalculations to make sure your nav computer still had all the right inputs. It also involved giving each black hole as wide a birth as possible. "making the run" implied you were trying to push the limits, go as close to obstacles as possible in order to shorten the distance and time it took you to get from kessel to your destination. Half of it was that the better and faster your ship could go, the closer you could skim the black holes and still escape being sucked in (star wars logic, I'm under the impression this would not apply in real life :p), while the pilot's ability to plot, maintain, and adjust his course on the fly made up the other half. Meaning the 12 Parsec run was a true testament to both the raw power and reliability of the Falcon, and of Han and Chewie's instincts and ability.

all together, I'm pretty happy with how they portrayed it in the film. making it the "maelstrom" gave them the ability to visually get across the same idea, in a very short amount of time. the point being that there was a safe, slow, rout, or a very dangerous, bordering on suicidal, faster rout (into the maelstrom). And they also had the Maw and the... "carbon-bergs(?)", both things that harken to the EU's version of the run. It let them not have to spend half an hour explaining black holes and the nature of how hyperspace works, but still tell the same story.

Why was the empire even using trains? They have transport ships.

They've established trains, hover trains, "tracked conveyance" and land trains in star wars a number of times throughout the years. Generally, they're there for plot reasons; "you can't have a train heist without a train". They've often explained it away as being a preferred method of transportation in severe environments, where non space faring shuttles and starships have issues with the atmosphere. Worlds that are prone to sand or ash storms that could cause a shuttle to crash, won't cause a mag lev train to stop. Or an extremely cold world where it's difficult to winterize aircraft, a train or a land train (one big ass crawler dragging 200 unpowered trailers behind it) could more easily be kept running. remember, they were using air speeders on Hoth because they were the only ships they could winterize well enough to do patrols with. Their x-wings kept crapping out in the cold. In addition, even if a sand storm or the cold overcame a train or land train, it simply meant that the cargo showed up late, instead crashing into the ground and being consumed in a ball of fire.

Last edited:
Although, one thing that's never sat right with me regarding the Kessel Run -- EU or canon -- is the figures. I know, blame George for not knowing what a parsec is, but... twelve-point-something parsecs is about forty light-years. That's greater than the distance between a lot of stars -- ten times more than the distance between us and Alpha Centauri! So I always felt that there had to be more to it than simply navigational obstacles near Kessel. Unless it's a round-trip figure, and the odometer starts when you drop out of hyperspace at the entrance to the Acades Maelstrom approach lane. The Orion Nebula is about twenty-four light-years across. If the Maelstrom is something like that, only bigger, I could maybe see it. Ten parsecs in along a twisty route, ten parsecs back out (Lando did say impossible to do it in less than twenty)...

This is exactly what I do, and for exactly the reason you describe here. Plex is awesome: personal Netflix.

I know disc media is dying, but I’ll continue to buy them over digital or streaming until the day where the quality is the same. Right now there’s a big enough difference to notice. The convenience is there with digital but I’d rather have higher bitrates and lossless audio :)

Same here. Movies I actually care about, I'll purchase physical media for that can never be clawed back. I buy it with a digital copy included to cover my bases. I rip it anyway for home use, but the digital copy makes that accessible anywhere I have internet, which is nice. And when I'm in for critical viewing, the high bitrate 4K with top tier sound quality blows away anything streaming today.

- - - Updated - - -

That I hated - Maul was killed in the Phantom Menace. Yes perhaps they made a mistake in killing off what may have worked out to be a good long term villain, but I hate this thing that he survived being cut in half just shows how cr@p the stories have been post rotj (bar R1 which fits well into the OT)!

Meh. They went over how he survived in the cartoons. This is just the first time he's made it back to the big screen.

I didn't think they covered the how, just that he did. It's been a while since i saw it, but i thought he said he woke up in that pit or whatever and had the spider legs attached.

I didn't think they covered the how, just that he did. It's been a while since i saw it, but i thought he said he woke up in that pit or whatever and had the spider legs attached.

After his fall, his body was retrieved in a garbage pit, and like with all civilized worlds, Naboo exported their garbage to a different planet, in this case Lotho Minor.
He assembled his spider legs on the junk planet he was dumped on.

Consumed by hatred, half insane, lusting for vengeance, he drew upon the power of the dark side to keep him alive, though maimed and never able to fully heal. You know, exactly like Vader.

The only thing that appears to have changed between TPM and TCW, was the location of the cut. In TPM, it looks as though he was severed above the belly button, just below the ribs, which would have ruined a lot of organs if he was physically the same as a human. Liver, kidneys, intestines and stomach would all be either gone or badly damaged. So it would have taken more than just a new set of legs.
His TCW reappearance, his wound was much, much lower, like at hip level. Still would've required a lot more than just new legs, but still possible to survive. I've met wounded vets who lost that much and survived.

Move a critical injury on a loved character to bring him back, and no one bats an eye. Move Kylo Rens scar and everyone loses their minds.

Took me a while, but watched it the other day.
It was pretty much spot on what I expected. An okay movie to watch on a Sunday afternoon when you're short on anything better to do. Nothing offensive, bad per se, some genuinely fun bits but nothing particularly exciting, new or grand and without any oomph to it. It's okay, that is.
Two things I really didn't like:
1. everyone said this, it's dark, sometimes I just really could not see what the hell was going on. Funny enough, I just bought the Harry Potter blu-ray box set for my GF and watched a few bits of the two Deathly Hallows, it is the same, washed out colors, no brightness even to exterior shots, dark backgrounds, people in black or dark clothes, I really don't get it. With Harry Potter they were probably thinking that "it's a dark movie, so make it dark", but Solo is supposed to be kinda upbeat.
2. To quote Mike Stoklasa: It's a prequel, therefore it is pointless. It would have been much more enjoyable if these story-beats were not known. "Throw him in the pit with the beast", the moment they said this I was "oh that's gonna be Chewie, this is how they'll meet and bond", tension is gone from the scene. Mind you, the subversion (gasp, horror) worked with the first sabbac game, I liked that.

Things happened a bit too quick though, once we jump three years it's basically 2 days or so in total from being a grunt in the mud to becoming friends with Chewie and doing the Kessel run.

LEET didn't bother me nearly as much as some people made it out, she was dispatched pretty quickly and had a couple of scenes only. I didn't really connect these characters to the originals...whether that's an asset or a detriment to the movie I'm not sure. Compared to Rogue One I think this one stood on its own feet more, which is really ironic considering that it's based on an already existing character and maybe the disconnect that I'm really not thinking of Han or Lando from the OT helps it to be more of a standalone. To a degree it didn't even feel like a Star Wars movie. Agani not sure if that's good or bad. The humour was interestingly really toned down, I liked what humour ended up in the movie and just a touch more maybe would have improved the movie.

All in all it was okay for me, if I'm bored I'll revisit it at some point, but there's not too much in it for me. I'm not enamored with it, it's okay, it's almost in the territory where I don't really have any strong feelings so it's probably going to sort of fade away.

From my understanding maul being cut in half was a last second decision.

Some people to this day claim when they saw ep1 mauls body didn’t separate in 2 when falling down the shaft

I think Lucas always wanted to keep him, cut him in half last minute and regretted it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding maul being cut in half was a last second decision.

Some people to this day claim when they saw ep1 mauls body didn’t separate in 2 when falling down the shaft

I think Lucas always wanted to keep him, cut him in half last minute and regretted it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm more interested in the reason for igniting a lightsaber during a standard phone call. :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back