Solo: A Star Wars Story

Blu-ray was viewing #2. Still think it's decent.

Only just starting on the extras. The round table discussion feels like a publicist-scripted press junket event. Just fluff. Hope the rest of the extras are better.

I typically pick up the blueray on the day it's released, or within a couple days. Still haven't picked it up, but I will, just to have a complete collection.

I am going to bike into the city tomorrow, there’s a Best Buy there. See what they have left. I waited a week before I picked up TLJ, I wanted the steel book and they didn’t have any left of TLJ

Curious to see what they have left of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I watched it at the cinema, I've bought the "Solo" HD and I really enjoyed seeing it again. Theres quite a bit to pick out ,particularly with back ground props and although the cinematography was still often too dark in places , it was a better experience than when I first saw it. But thats been true of watching every DVD at home as of late.

Speaking of which I really think it was the timing of the release killed the box office potential of this more than anything else.

Its literally been months since I have been to the cinema as there has been that little worth the interest or the effort of going for me. We had this absolute saturation of strong releases in the spring ,where I was going almost every other week and then very little of any quality or genre strength since and that looks to persist right up until mid November. Thats a bad BO strategy to continue to follow, and needs to be rethought. People prefer a regular steady stream of viewing, not this unbalanced diet of flood or famine.

Even "Ant Man and the Wasp" seemed to suffer the same issue as "Solo" , even though it was eventually helped out by its China BO. Both were released far too close to an earlier, franchise series main event movie date and just couldn't attract the interest afterward. If Marvel and Lucasfilm had left both of them until the early autumn/ winter things could have been somewhat better for them I think.

And I'd like to point out that , to judge from the lack of posts in the "Solo" thread with the release of the DVD I still think a very large percentage of SW fans went to see this during its cinema run and it was us who really kept the film afloat, rather than sink it.

It was the genaral audiences that stayed away from it. Certainly it seems to have scored highly here and not suffered from the massive negativity surrounding TLJ (which I don't doubt DID effect many ordinary peoples decision not to see "Solo" at the cinema).

Just watched the "Remaking the Millennium Falcon" extra on the BD, should be called Re-naming the Falcon,.....everyone (apart from one or a couple) call it the Falcon (US),...even the Brits in the piece

But in the Films, Han, Vader, Rey,.....everyone call it Falcon (UK).......its like the different pronunciations of Leia & Han in the films,.....

I'm not defending the British pronunciation because I'm British,.....its just Falcon isn't a word in the films,...it's a name......if Han calls it Falcon (UK),.....thats its name & how it should be said, no matter where in the world you are from,....if the ship was called the Millennium Z & in the film Han called it the Millennium Zee,....I wouldn't rename it the Millennium Zed

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/falcon

J

Dude, you are just LOOKIN for things to be upset about. all our words are star wars words. You're suggesting that the ship is essentially named "The Millennium Jessica".

If the movies can’t decide between “Han” (like “on”) and “Han” (like “ham”) why should they be consistent with “Falcon?” That said, I don’t even remember the UK pronunciation being used in the old films (though I believe you).

Anyone get the Target version with the 40 page booklet?
I did, it’s nice but not spectacular by any means. Character and planet profiles with some behind the scenes text and concept artwork.

Also, for the 10 people out there who may be interested in 3D, you can get the 3D Blu-Ray version from amazon UK. 3D blu-rays are almost always region-free, so they’ll work here in the US. Due to low demand this one and Last Jedi weren’t released directly in this country. I don’t watch 3D versions very often but I like having them around.

If the movies can’t decide between “Han” (like “on”) and “Han” (like “ham”) why should they be consistent with “Falcon?” That said, I don’t even remember the UK pronunciation being used in the old films (though I believe you).

Han:

Vader:

Donald Glover introduces the Millennium Falcon (US style)

Alden says it UK classic style

J

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it’s worth, the way Alec Guinness pronounces his own character’s name in ANH is different from how pretty much every one else in the franchise does it.

(Wan rhymes with “ran” instead of “con.”)

I picked up a new blu-ray with the extras disc and slip cover on Ebay last night with their $5 off promo for $11.98. Should get it this coming week.

This movie just came out on Blu-Ray/DVD, and not a single post about it. Fitting.

Huh... I picked up the Best Buy SteelBook. Didn't realize I needed to update the Solo thread(s) with my home-video purchases to add data to offset the encamped position of those wanting to gloat over the film's 'failure'...

Anyhow, I agree with Jaitea on the pronunciation thing. I am less fussed that it's behind-the-scenes stuff, and that that pronunciation didn't make it into the movie... But at the same time I call #FakeFan on anyone who doesn't pronounce it right. And only partially in jest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just picked it up and watched it. I loved it!! I thought it was great. Once I just got over the fact that this guy is not Harrison Ford I really enjoyed it. Thought the story was great and just had a blast with it. Blu ray did not seem too dark or washed out at all. And of course, Emilia Clarke is just a living doll, I can't ever get enough of her. This is one I can see myself watching several times.

Went to pick up my copy just now. Before I left on my journey ( not fun biking in the dark) I checked bestbuy.com they said they only had 4 steel books left... peddled like hell to find this...

075385288ae63b1fe7bd51213fc37117.jpg

Didn’t know infinity war was released this week as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calibrating my sarcasm meter; are you saying best buy is full of crap because they have infinity war and black panther on the new release rack, or did you not know infinity war had been out to buy for a couple weeks now, at least?

Also, I've never had good luck with bestbuy.com results matching up to actual in store items.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back