Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan? What's not to buy? The man brought it. McGregor and Guinness are the same height, similar features and just feels right. There were no front runners for young Kenobi that I'm aware of prior to Ewan's casting.

McGregor and Guinness look and feel spot on...
8xbZoKs.jpg

Whereas Ehrenreich and Ford - I just don't see it or feel it. Especially when there is an Anthony Ingruber or even an Ansel Elgort around.
ehrenreich-ford-1.jpg

Oh yeah. Someone else can play Han Solo but can they be Han Solo. Most will agree that Ewan as Obi Wan was one of the few good things in the PT but he doesn't really embody a young Alec Guiness. I can't help but see OWK in the PT and OT as different characters.
I'm hopeful they know what they're doing. It'll probably turn out to be a good movie, so long as they lay off the nostalgia and cameos.

Ewan McGregor resembles a young Obi-Wan

Ewan McGregor was one of the few highlights in the PT due to his acting chops

However, I've never been able to see him as young Obi-Wan because they have nothing in common beyond their resemblance.

Those photos are a little misleading.. Ewan is in character there and doesn't usually look like that, and Alden isn't in character.
My point is some people were into Ewan straight away (even though the acting was so so in places in the first film), some took a while to accept Ewan as Obi, and some never will.
The acting will be the only thing we can really judge it on and I don't think it shouldnt be an impersonation per-ce. I still think it's possible :)

However, I've never been able to see him as young Obi-Wan because they have nothing in common beyond their resemblance.
We see so little of Obi Wan in the OT that this really makes a no sense. We don't see Obi-Wan being much more than an old man or a force ghost, we never get a real sense of who Obi-Wan is in ANH, ESB or ROTJ.

We see so little of Obi Wan in the OT that this really makes a no sense. We don't see Obi-Wan being much more than an old man or a force ghost, we never get a real sense of who Obi-Wan is in ANH, ESB or ROTJ.

I guess matter of opinion, but I think you see enough of him to get a feel for his mannerisms and character in ANH alone. I always had a pretty strong feeling growing up that I "knew" Obi-Wan. When I saw the PT I never was really able to believe they were the same person. Also, they sound nothing alike, tonally or their delivery.

I guess matter of opinion, but I think you see enough of him to get a feel for his mannerisms and character in ANH alone. I always had a pretty strong feeling growing up that I "knew" Obi-Wan. When I saw the PT I never was really able to believe they were the same person. Also, they sound nothing alike, tonally or their delivery.
You and I saw very different movies.

To me, Ewan really nailed a lot of Obi-Wan's mannerisms and vocal inflections. Ewan never really seemed like he was aping or mimicking Guinness. It seemed natural and a part of the character - whether it's his "hello there" or any other number of subtle nods, young Obi-Wan always seemed true to the character he would become. Much more so than many of the other characters we saw in the PT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed. I like Ewan, and yes, he was one of the brighter spots of the PT. But more so because of how likable he is, not because I believed he was a young Obi Wan Kenobi--I didn't.

Alec Guinness possesses and exudes an unmistakable air of aristocracy. It defines his natural energy. And he imbued the character of Obi Wan Kenobi with that same unmistakable aristocratic forbearance.

Ewan McGregor's natural energy is frenetic, and to be blunt, that of a commoner. He is more like one of the Artful Dodger's fellow street urchins grown up, who managed to escape the clutches of Fagan and Bill Sikes by age 16. Saved by a kind benefactor, he matriculated at Cambridge by day and was privately tutored in etiquette by night. And yet in spite of all that education and training, for the rest of his life, when compared to someone from the right side of the tracks, it is unmistakable, even to someone who knows nothing of his pedigree or early upbringing, that he is from the wrong side of the tracks.

The Wook

Ok so so far so good, some bought it and some didn't but quite positive. Think about the Joker? who was the best? He's just a character too.
Harrison plays many different characters in his films and I only really know and love, what three (three huge ones though) ? The rest of his characters I don't know.

Solo is, and was, written by someone and embellished by someone else. I remain hopeful. I have to :)

Agreed. I like Ewan, and yes, he was one of the brighter spots of the PT. But more so because of how likable he is, not because I believed he was a young Obi Wan Kenobi--I didn't.

Alec Guinness possesses and exudes an unmistakable air of aristocracy. It defines his natural energy. And he imbued the character of Obi Wan Kenobi with that same unmistakable aristocratic forbearance.

Ewan McGregor's natural energy is frenetic, and to be blunt, that of a commoner. He is more like one of the Artful Dodger's fellow street urchins grown up, who managed to escape the clutches of Fagan and Bill Sikes by age 16. Saved by a kind benefactor, he matriculated at Cambridge by day and was privately tutored in etiquette by night. And yet in spite of all that education and training, for the rest of his life, when compared to someone from the right side of the tracks, it is unmistakable, even to someone who knows nothing of his pedigree or early upbringing, that he is from the wrong side of the tracks.

The Wook

It feels so weird the few times The Wook and I agree on something. I somehow feel both validated and like I'm betraying myself.

Mark it, guys. The Wook and I are in complete agreement here. Everything he just said resonates so heavily with me.

Damnit.

It feels so weird the few times The Wook and I agree on something. I somehow feel both validated and like I'm betraying myself.

Mark it, guys. The Wook and I are in complete agreement here. Everything he just said resonates so heavily with me.

Damnit.

Well, Josh, when I find myself in the awkward position of agreeing with a nemesis, I take a few deep breaths and remind myself that even broken clocks are correct twice a day.

Try it. You'll feel better.

The Wook

The Wook, I actually like you. If for nothing else than for entertainment sometimes.

We disagree on just about everything Star Wars related it seems like, but sometimes I enjoy the expert level trolling you've seemed to master. And you're at least well thought out when we do agree. Our clocks may not always show the same time, but I wouldn't throw yours away.

The Wook, I actually like you. If for nothing else than for entertainment sometimes.

We disagree on just about everything Star Wars related it seems like, but sometimes I enjoy the expert level trolling you've seemed to master. And you're at least well thought out when we do agree. Our clocks may not always show the same time, but I wouldn't throw yours away.

Well, I was using he word "nemesis" in the lightest sense possible. You've liked more than a few of my posts on Star Wars topics (and vice versa), so not only do I know you and I agree on quite a few things, I also know you don't take this back-and-forth banter personally. A few do, sadly. Ever since I ripped TFA a couple years ago, @JD, @DINVADER, and @Sourdoh have shunned me completely. In spite of civil attempts on my part to let water be under the bridge. No worries, though. I'm just here to spread my SWIQ. ;) And if a few folks insist on holding grudges against those they disagree with, there ain't nothin' I can do about that.

Disagreements are a good thing. How boring would this world be if we all agreed on everything?!

The Wook

The Wook

Damn, nicely put. I love Ewan, but that really paints the picture.

I try hard to "not feed the troll." But, since I was mentioned and mischaracterized, let's set the record straight. I have no illwill towards anyone who didn't like TFA. I myself have some misgivings about the movie. But. to trivialize someone's piggish, misogynistic and outright disgusting comments and behavior as merely "ripping TFA," is yet another game some like to play.

I won't play this game - I have no need for it or silly rankings. I'd much rather discuss Star Wars (amongst other things) and have fun doing so.

Well, I was using he word "nemesis" in the lightest sense possible. You've liked more than a few of my posts on Star Wars topics (and vice versa), so not only do I know you and I agree on quite a few things, I also know you don't take this back-and-forth banter personally. A few do, sadly. Ever since I ripped TFA a couple years ago, @JD, @DINVADER, and @Sourdoh have shunned me completely. In spite of civil attempts on my part to let water be under the bridge. No worries, though. I'm just here to spread my SWIQ. ;) And if a few folks insist on holding grudges against those they disagree with, there ain't nothin' I can do about that.

Disagreements are a good thing. How boring would this world be if we all agreed on everything?!

The Wook

Well now I feel left out. I bash TFA every chance I get and people, so far, are still talking to me! :lol I did think a couple people blocked me until they answered something! But then I think my SWIQ is pretty good, so maybe they like that part. ;)

I'm giving this guy a chance. We bought River Phoenix as a young Indy, and granted the ages were a little farther apart, but it might work.

Well now I feel left out. I bash TFA every chance I get and people, so far, are still talking to me! :lol I did think a couple people blocked me until they answered something! But then I think my SWIQ is pretty good, so maybe they like that part. ;)

IIRC, you got to the TFA bashfest late--about 6 weeks late. By that time, I was Public Enemy #1 in the eyes of JD et. al. I remember when you chimed in, I was like, "NOW he shows up! lol".

At least that's my recollection. But maybe I'm confusing you with someone else who didn't start posting his disdain for the film 'til mid to late January or so.

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back