Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Is this sarcastic?

How is that in any way hating Han Solo?

Han Solo has never said HE did the kessel run, the Falcon did...

Lando could have been piloting... they both hold a reverence for this ship... it's "the fastest hunk blah blah"

And part of what makes Han a well rounded character in Empire is hints of his past with a Scoundrel friend who betrays him/attempts to save him...

What I DO hate is taking all mystery out of someone's back story, to show a card game we already know the outcome of.

Like it ever got that far...Lando wasn't a thought in George's head when he wrote that line. It might be something had it been intended that way, but it's not.

I get people wanting mystery in a character still, but i have a feeling we see at a bare minimum Hand meets Chewy, and Han wins the Falcon from lando, in a likely dubious manner. Hence the 'i'm sure he's forgotten about that...' bit. The only thing to be gained by leaving it open ended is the possibility of another movie. That's it.

Like it ever got that far...Lando wasn't a thought in George's head when he wrote that line. It might be something had it been intended that way, but it's not.

I get people wanting mystery in a character still, but i have a feeling we see at a bare minimum Hand meets Chewy, and Han wins the Falcon from lando, in a likely dubious manner. Hence the 'i'm sure he's forgotten about that...' bit. The only thing to be gained by leaving it open ended is the possibility of another movie. That's it.

Of course it wasn't intentional, but now you can play with it and make it interesting.

What's not interesting... following it literally. Showing us everything that was hinted at with "I won it fair and square"

That's all I need to know!

It's like my complaint with showing Vader in suit at the end of ROTS... If they let us believe Anakin died (even though WE know he becomes Vader), then it's just another Sith Lord arriving at the beginning of ANH... like meeting Maul, Doku... he's just yet another...

Then the Empire revelation holds... Ben's lying holds...

But they have this "oh we gotta show it!... even if it kills all mystery for someone watching it the first time" attitude.

Of course it wasn't intentional, but now you can play with it and make it interesting.

Making the cornerstone of Han's piloting prowess a big ol' fat lie isn't interesting character development. Han is shady, self-serving and egotistical but he's a bad-ass pilot with the skills to back up his claims. Retconning The Kessel Run to Lando effectively cuts Han's balls off.

Don’t play with the original intent.

Making the cornerstone of Han's piloting prowess a big ol' fat lie isn't interesting character development. Han is shady, self-serving and egotistical but he's a bad-ass pilot with the skills to back up his claims. Retconning The Kessel Run to Lando effectively cuts Han's balls off.

Don’t play with the original intent.

What? How does Han not being the pilot in the kessel run take away from anything in the OT trilogy...

It was already made clear it was Lando's ship first. And LANDO flew it into the FRIGGIN DEATH STAR - more challenging than anything Han did.

The Falcon is the hero, not the pilot.

In ANH Han kind of drifted to the left at one point to avoid a Star Destroyer...

In Empire he lazily flew through an astroid field 'til he landed on one.

ROTJ was entirely LANDO flying through that **** storm, then into the death star... where tiny Tie fighters were smashing into walls.

Han bragged about the falcon itself, not his piloting it.

- - - Updated - - -

Even REY said:

"THIS is the SHIP that made the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs"

I don't remember the follow up being...

"NOT THE SHIP!.... ME!... I DID IT!... and it was under 12!"

I'd say flying through that asteroid field was as impressive as flying into the Death Star. Plus HAN did it without damaging the Falcon! This whole discussion reminds me of that B5 episode "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" where future historians cast doubt on Sheridan's real exploits.

I'd say flying through that asteroid field was as impressive as flying into the Death Star. Plus HAN did it without damaging the Falcon! This whole discussion reminds me of that B5 episode "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" where future historians cast doubt on Sheridan's real exploits.

Yeah I was being a little harsh on that, but he did take some hits on the shields I believe, and I WOULD say the death star was WAY more messed up.

I'm not saying Han wasn't a great pilot, I just don't remember that being what he's known for.

I mean he even gave the ship to Lando saying "Take her! you need all the help you can get. She's the fastest ship in the fleet."

The Falcon itself is the bragging point... Han knew it wasn't his piloting alone.

Yeah I was being a little harsh on that, but he did take some hits on the shields I believe, and I WOULD say the death star was WAY more messed up.

I'm not saying Han wasn't a great pilot, I just don't remember that being what he's known for.

I mean he even gave the ship to Lando saying "Take her! you need all the help you can get. She's the fastest ship in the fleet."

The Falcon itself is the bragging point... Han knew it wasn't his piloting alone.

i was always curious if it truly was the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy"

Yeah I was being a little harsh on that, but he did take some hits on the shields I believe, and I WOULD say the death star was WAY more messed up...

The Death Star was a fixed structure. The asteroid field was constantly changing and unpredictable, flying through it was anything but lazy. And Han wasn't at the controls when the ship was hit.

I like your idea about Anakin appearing dead at the end of ROTS, that would have been a better way to lead into the OT.

The Death Star was a fixed structure. The asteroid field was constantly changing and unpredictable, flying through it was anything but lazy. And Han wasn't at the controls when the ship was hit.

I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it with your high-SWIQ comment.

I'll just add that the Falcon was not in prime condition when Han navigated that asteroid field, but it was when Lando flew it. Not only that, but Lando had a whole crew working in other parts of the ship supporting him while he navigated from the cockpit.

The Wook

I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it with your high-SWIQ comment.

I'll just add that the Falcon was not in prime condition when Han navigated that asteroid field, but it was when Lando flew it. Not only that, but Lando had a whole crew working in other parts of the ship supporting him while he navigated from the cockpit.

The Wook
Dude it wasnt THAT dangerous, there were potatoes out there. Sheesh. ;)

I was looking at The Star Wars Essential Guide to Warfare book the other day. They had some thing about the Wookiees supposedly having a guild that had secret hyperspace routes. That being a reason for the Separatists to attack that village in ROTS. Chewie was supposedly entrusted with copies. Anyway they have a quote from Dash Rendar and he says something like "Ask Solo about all those records he set and see how quickly he shuts up." So they are saying that Chewie shared those records with Han and that's how he beat several records because he had faster routes. Of course that's all Legends stuff, but along the lines of Han being truthful from a certain point of view.

I was looking at The Star Wars Essential Guide to Warfare book the other day. They had some thing about the Wookiees supposedly having a guild that had secret hyperspace routes. That being a reason for the Separatists to attack that village in ROTS. Chewie was supposedly entrusted with copies. Anyway they have a quote from Dash Rendar and he says something like "Ask Solo about all those records he set and see how quickly he shuts up." So they are saying that Chewie shared those records with Han and that's how he beat several records because he had faster routes. Of course that's all Legends stuff, but along the lines of Han being truthful from a certain point of view.

I love that!!!

If this flick gets botched but we get Lando movies out of it that could be the silver lining.

Lando is a far more complex character, I hope they don't screw him up.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back