Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

I really hope this one film doesn't try to cram every obvious sophomoric "origin" element into this story. e.g.:

- Han and Chewie meet for the first time (at first they don't get along but Chewie saves his life and Han learns to trust the wookie)
- Han meets Lando (who alludes to dreams of going into politics)
- Han wins the Falcon from Lando
- Han gets his iconic vest
- Han does the Kessel Run
- Han gets offered a smuggling job (since he's got a fast ship) and enjoys it
- Han meets Jabba
- Han meets his henchman, Greedo (Greedo: "Just give me an excuse and I'll blast you." Han: "Not if I shoot you first.")
- Han dumps cargo and Jabba puts bounty on his head

Please don't overdo the cross references or tie-ins:
- please no Jedi or reference to Jedi ...
- please don't cross paths at all with Skywalker family members
- it would be great if there aren't even any Stormtroopers or any significant Imperial presence in the film

I don't get anything out of just seeing backstory events we already know - even if it's enhanced just a bit. I would rather see something that doesn't touch any of those "origin" elements above. If it enhances my appreciation of this otherwise archetypical character by making him seem more complex I'm OK with it, but if it just gives us a tragic backstory just to make him more sympathetic or if he just does an impersonation of Ford's Han I will be really disappointed.

This film should be good enough to be a standalone film and shouldn't need the other SW films behind it in order to appreciate it.

Is that too much to ask?

My impression is that Ron Howard would be all about the "fan service" and would tick off all those boxes. I hope he proves me wrong.

- Han and Chewie meet for the first time (at first they don't get along but Chewie saves his life and Han learns to trust the wookie)
- Han meets Jabba
- Han meets his henchman, Greedo (Greedo: "Just give me an excuse and I'll blast you." Han: "Not if I shoot you first.")

I'll actually be shocked if your list isn't exactly what happens in this movie...

My impression is that Ron Howard would be all about the "fan service" and would tick off all those boxes.

Forget Ron Howard. It's what Disney's all about, if their first two films are any indication.

His predecessors didn't do what Disney wanted, so they're gone. Ron was brought in to replace them, on the condition that he do as he's told.

The Wook

Forget Ron Howard. It's what Disney's all about, if their first two films are any indication.

His predecessors didn't do what Disney wanted, so they're gone. Ron was brought in to replace them, on the condition that he do as he's told.

The Wook
IMO Disney has more sense than Ron.
But I can see Ron petitioning for more of that or being ham-handed about serving it up.

I definitely like some fan service. I just don't want it forced, as it often was in TFA and R1. Too much fan service detracts from the film. It's a balancing act, which requires a high SWIQ from both the writer and director.

giphy.gif

The Wook

- Han meets Jabba

I think that's all plausible except the dumping of cargo and the bounty. ANH shows a long history of successful runs for Jabba by Han and the dumping and bounty was very recent.

I don't know why we need to see him win the falcon!

If Han Solo movie ends with Lando in ownership, it only makes the scene when they meet on Cloud City all the better.

Think linear...

Lando flies the falcon... LANDO does the kessel (sp?) run in 12 parsecs.

Then we meet Han in ANH and now HE'S flying the falcon (OMG what happened?!)... brags about the kessel run (That LANDO actually did)

Then Hand and Leia etc arrive at Cloud City, get fired on and Han has to say "I'm sure he's forgotten about that" when leia asks "I thought you knew him?"

They land and Lando comes out "you gotta lot of guts coming back here after what you pulled!"

THAT'S INTRIGUING CHARACTER INTERACTION!

You know what's not?.. if we know why Lando lost the ship and why he's mad (or playing it up)

Bah.

I fully concur, NeoRutty. After all, never does Han say that HE set the record.
"Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?"
"Should I have?"
"It's THE SHIP that made the Kessel Run in less that 12 parsecs."

Really, I don't mind seeing some of those things on dascoyne's list. Just not ALL of them...

Lando flies the falcon... LANDO does the kessel (sp?) run in 12 parsecs.

Then we meet Han in ANH and now HE'S flying the falcon (OMG what happened?!)... brags about the kessel run (That LANDO actually did)

*****... Why do you hate Han Solo so much?

*****... Why do you hate Han Solo so much?

Is this sarcastic?

How is that in any way hating Han Solo?

Han Solo has never said HE did the kessel run, the Falcon did...

Lando could have been piloting... they both hold a reverence for this ship... it's "the fastest hunk blah blah"

And part of what makes Han a well rounded character in Empire is hints of his past with a Scoundrel friend who betrays him/attempts to save him...

What I DO hate is taking all mystery out of someone's back story, to show a card game we already know the outcome of.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back