Subscribe
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    1 Day Ago  Jun 23, 2017, 6:44 PM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1501

KhalDrogo said: View Post
    So with Ron Howard directing now, I wonder if there will be a Clint Howard cameo?
    I wasn't even thinking of that, but now that has to happen!
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    1 Day Ago  Jun 23, 2017, 7:24 PM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1502

KhalDrogo said: View Post
    So with Ron Howard directing now, I wonder if there will be a Clint Howard cameo?
    Dem Bones said: View Post
    Maybe a Han Solo/Balok mash up? Heads will explode!

Attachment 738294
    Sluis Van Shipyards said: View Post
    I wasn't even thinking of that, but now that has to happen!
    I wonder if Tranya mixes well with blue milk?
  3. Member Since
    Dec 2001
    From
    Chicago
    1 Day Ago  Jun 23, 2017, 8:03 PM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1503

The Wook said: View Post
    I wonder if Tranya mixes well with blue milk?
    He could play Dr Evazan and wouldn't even need makeup
  4. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    1 Day Ago  Jun 23, 2017, 10:07 PM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1504

OH the irony. Balok's brother is going to save Star Wars.

From
    San Francisco
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 12:03 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1505

Sez the man with arguably the lowest SWIQ on the site!

The Wook

ps~@jlee562. I find your assertion that people in China have the same low-brow tastes in films as American Millennials do, to be far more offensive. smh The notion that people in China are not sophisticated enough to appreciate the brilliance of a film like Citizen Kane, is downright repugnant. And racist.
    I'm trying to figure out where it is you think I said all of that, and how I'm being "racist" to other Chinese people.
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 12:26 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1506

jlee562 said: View Post
    If you show Citizen Kane and Transformers to the average millennial, or let's go even a step further, to the average Chinese moviegoer, which one do you think they are going to tell you is better?
    Here you go. It's clear you're equating the denseness and unsophistication of American Millennials to the average Chinese moviegoer.

That's offensive to the Chinese. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

The Wook
    From
    San Francisco
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 12:43 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1507

Here you go. It's clear you're equating the denseness and unsophistication of American Millennials to the average Chinese moviegoer.

That's offensive to the Chinese. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

The Wook
    Last public post on this: your interpretation (that I somehow said people in China were "not sophisticated enough" to appreciate Citizen Kane) does not actually logically follow from the sentence you are quoting. Nor was that the intent of said sentence.
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 12:54 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1508

jlee562 said: View Post
    Last public post on this: your interpretation (that I somehow said people in China were "not sophisticated enough" to appreciate Citizen Kane) does not actually logically follow from the sentence you are quoting. Nor was that the intent of said sentence.
    Be careful playing the race card, fella. It can come back and blow up in your face.

The Wook
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 4:04 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1509

The Wook has a point. It's there in black and white. If it's been mis interpretated then clarification is needed
    From
    London, England, UK
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 4:13 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1510

22 Jump Solo, I was looking forward to it. Bummer.
  11. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    1 Day Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 5:27 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1511

12 Parsecs Street?
    From
    San Francisco
    20 Hours Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 10:07 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1512

Greenie said: View Post
    The Wook has a point. It's there in black and white. If it's been mis interpretated then clarification is needed
    Oh FFS, I was honestly trying to drop this out of the thread and talk to wook via pm.

But fine.

What I actually said in full was this:
    If you show Citizen Kane and Transformers to the average millennial, or let's go even a step further, to the average Chinese moviegoer, which one do you think they are going to tell you is better? I'm not convinced of a Citizen Kane landslide.
    There are two basic underlying assumptions which, by definition, does not allow Wook's interpretation of that comment that Chinese people lack the capacity to appreciate Citizen Kane. The first is that I qualified as the "average" millennial vs the "average" Chinese moviegoer. An average, by definition, is a sampling of a larger group and are meant to represent variance in whatever you are averaging. The second underlying assumption is "I'm not convinced of a landslide," which wook cut out. A landslide victory, as political jargon, indicates an overwhelming victory. While the implication is that a majority would probably find Transformers a more entertaining film, by definition you have a segment that preferred Kane. And being that my wording was "not a landslide," that implies something along the lines of 60/40 or 55/45. So if the direct implication of my sentence is that 40% like Citizen Kane, it literally cannot be true that what I wrote somehow also implies that Chinese people at large aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate Citizen Kane.

There is nothing in my statement which suggests that Chinese people are not sophisticated enough to appreciate Citizen Kane, period.
    Last edited by jlee562; 20 Hours Ago at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added bolded part for clarification
    20 Hours Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 10:15 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1513

NeoRutty said: View Post
    Making Star Wars less fun, I think, was a bad move. I hated Rogue One. And while it wasn't Miller and Lord, I loved Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2... would it be so bad if that was a Star Wars story? That was comedic... and had heart... and was bad ass... and the closest I've felt to watching a sci-fi action movie that got me as excited as Star Wars.
    I dunno... Personally, I don't want Star Wars to turn into Guardians of the Galaxy. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Guardians, but I really don't want Star Wars to take that kind of turn towards comedy. I like the humor style of ANH and ESB, but even back in 1983 I remember coming out of the theaters after seeing Jedi, and although I enjoyed it, I was thinking I really didn't like the turn it took. It seemed like they were just dumbing it down for the little tykes. I always thought of SW as for all ages, not just something filled with cute teddy bears and slobbering burping Muppets. Sure, the space battles, speeder bikes and lightsaber fights were awesome, but I felt the rest of the movie was kind of a waste.

Of course, it is all subjective. By the time Jedi came out I wasn't an innocent 12 year old anymore. By then I was 18 and kiddie stuff was not what I wanted. After the grittiness of Empire I was hoping Jedi would be even more so.....But that's just me. I don't have any kids (never wanted any) so I really don't care if kids like it. However, I understand they are not making these movies for me but for the masses. So I just have to take the hand they deal me.

I put Rogue One as the third best movie of the entire franchise; ANH ESB R1. Personally, I would've loved an R rated "Saving Private Ryan" Rogue One, but I know that would never happen.
    19 Hours Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 11:16 AM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1514

DL 44 Blaster said: View Post
    I definitely agree that Han was a completely emasculated character in ROTJ.
    Star Wars is so full of life lessons.
    Solo went from the single space pirate we all know and love then ROTJ foretold his married future.
  15. Member Since
    Dec 2001
    From
    Chicago
    14 Hours Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 4:13 PM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1515

It's one thing to take something serious, like a war drama and imbed some humor to take the edge of the serious tone of the material. Some of the best moments are the lighter more human moments, where people let their guard down and show their more endearing side given the moments at hand. It's quite another thing to make light of the entire subject matter. It's like the difference between The Great Escape and Hogan's Heroes.

From what I've been reading about the production's direction the last few days, it seems the directors were taking the movie into the comedy heavy direction, and people were concerned. I completely understand why they wanted to change directors. If the movie wasn't written as a comedy, and the directors felt ad libbing and other changes to the script were an appropriate way of injecting their ideas of humor into the movie, I can see the disconnect.
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    14 Hours Ago  Jun 24, 2017, 4:23 PM - Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo) #1516

hansicle said: View Post
    It's one thing to take something serious, like a war drama and imbed some humor to take the edge of the serious tone of the material. Some of the best moments are the lighter more human moments, where people let their guard down and show their more endearing side given the moments at hand. It's quite another thing to make light of the entire subject matter. It's like the difference between The Great Escape and Hogan's Heroes.

From what I've been reading about the production's direction the last few days, it seems the directors were taking the movie into the comedy heavy direction, and people were concerned. I completely understand why they wanted to change directors. If the movie wasn't written as a comedy, and the directors felt ad libbing and other changes to the script were an appropriate way of injecting their ideas of humor into the movie, I can see the disconnect.
    A better analogy would be Stalag 17 and Hogan's Heroes. The producers of the former even sued the producers of the latter for allegedly stealing the premise of their film. They lost, as a judge deemed the comedy-heavy tone of Hogan's Heroes to be substantially different from the deadly serious Stalag 17 drama--which is a great film, btw, starring Bill Holden and Otto Preminger.

But your point is well taken, and I agree with your post.

The Wook