Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

You know, it IS possible he could an outstanding job, right?

I can admit to him not being my first (or second or third) choice for the part - but - i have no framework of him whatsoever IN the part. There's no one in the age range you can say is a definite 'hit' in that role.

When it comes out, maybe he won't be any good, maybe he'll be OK, or maybe he'll knock it out of the park. I can only hope it's one of the latter two. But, you know, it's not really worth swearing it off with no clue at all how he'll do.

Exactly. It's also worth noting Lord and Miller have a talent at taking what sounds like worthless films ideas (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Lego Movie) and delivering something special.

IIRC, Anthony Ingruber stayed mum after it was announced Ehrenreich had been cast in the part. He had a lot of angry supporters, who wanted to know not just why he'd been passed over for the role, but whether or not he even got the chance to audition for it! Does anyone know if Anthony Ingruber has made any comments on the subject in the many months since the part was cast? In particular, I wanna know if he got to audition for the role. Also, if he's made any comments on why he was passed over.

The Wook

ps~I also recall speculation that he did not get Solo because was being reserved to take over as Indy. Any truth to that rumor?

No auditioning Ingruber = they never had much serious intention of anyone besides Alden.

Was Ingruber the best choice? Probably not, but that's beside the point. They should have been open to using the best person. You can't do that when you make the decision before the auditioning process.

As for carrying a $150m movie, I see no evidence to assume Alden is any more qualified to do it than Ingruber. Alden has a little more screen time under his belt and it's on small movies.

Last edited:

No auditioning Ingruber = they never had much serious intention of anyone besides Alden.

Was Ingruber the best choice? Probably not, but that's beside the point. They should have been open to using the best person. You can't do that when you make the decision before the auditioning process.

As for carrying a $150m movie, I see no evidence to assume Alden is any more qualified to do it than Ingruber. Alden has a little more screen time under his belt and it's on small movies.

Can you provide anything to support what you just said?

IIRC, Anthony Ingruber stayed mum after it was announced Ehrenreich had been cast in the part. He had a lot of angry supporters, who wanted to know not just why he'd been passed over for the role, but whether or not he even got the chance to audition for it! Does anyone know if Anthony Ingruber has made any comments on the subject in the many months since the part was cast? In particular, I wanna know if he got to audition for the role. Also, if he's made any comments on why he was passed over.

The Wook

ps~I also recall speculation that he did not get Solo because was being reserved to take over as Indy. Any truth to that rumor?

There was talk that he was to voice Han Solo in the Rebels series... but that didn't pan out. So Disney WAS planning on using him at some point as Solo. I think Ingruber is keeping quiet in the hopes that he may still get to do a voice roll on Rebels.

After seeing "age of adaline" I was very disappointed to hear Ingruber didn't make the cut.
He seemed like the best choice to me. Not that my opinion of cast matters at all.

I hope Ehrenreich does it well, but he looks nothing like Ford.
They might as well have cast Zack Efron.

The thing is, I REALLY hope they don't go for hamfisted impressions like they did for NUtrek.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Can you provide anything to support what you just said?

Why do I need to? It's obviously a set of my personal opinions based on known facts.

They say they auditioned over 2000 people. But they didn't audition the one that JUST RECENTLY PLAYED YOUNG HARRISON FORD IN A MAJOR MOVIE. That's like casting a young Han Solo movie in about 1991 - and never auditioning River Phoenix.

It proves they were already making decisions about the role before the auditions. There is zero commitment in allowing someone to audition. It does not make them a finalist. It does not commit resources to them. It does not limit who else might be considered.

Taken together with what else has been said about how early Alden was their front-runner . . . I suspect they were pretty far into that decision without even doing auditions.

Why do I need to? It's obviously a set of my personal opinions based on known facts.

They say they auditioned over 2000 people. But they didn't audition the one that JUST RECENTLY PLAYED YOUNG HARRISON FORD IN A MAJOR MOVIE. That's like casting a young Han Solo movie in about 1991 - and never auditioning River Phoenix.

It proves they were already making decisions about the role before the auditions. There is zero commitment in allowing someone to audition. It does not make them a finalist. It does not commit resources to them. It does not limit who else might be considered.

Taken together with what else has been said about how early Alden was their front-runner . . . I suspect they were pretty far into that decision without even doing auditions.

Ehrenreich had it all sewn up the moment Spielberg made the call to Disney. The other "3,000" actors who allegedly also auditioned for the role never had a chance. Much less Anthony Ingruber, who never even got to audition.

The fix was already in.

The Wook

I liked Alden in that Coen Bros movie. I'm sure he'll do fine. We're talking about Han Solo here. If Alden can carry the smuggler's attitude and sensibilities then the fact that he isn't a dead ringer for young Harrison won't hurt things.

I liked Alden in that Coen Bros movie. I'm sure he'll do fine. We're talking about Han Solo here. If Alden can carry the smuggler's attitude and sensibilities then the fact that he isn't a dead ringer for young Harrison won't hurt things.

Exactly. Everyone seems to love Ewan as young Obi-Wan - but Ewan looks absolutely nothing like a young Alec Guinness. What Ewan did get right was the spirit of the character and, in certain scenes, the voice. It remains to be seen whether that will be the case with Alden, but Ill give him the benefit of the doubt until I see footage that tells me otherwise.

And I have to say that the love for Ingruber, IMHO, is based mainly on a couple of Youtube video where he reenacted scenes from SW (in other words, merely copying, note-for-note someone else's, performance). I'll admit that I was one of the ones floored by those videos. However, while I'll give him points for being a dead-on impressionist, I've not seen much to indicate he has the creativity to bring anything of his own to new lines, scenes and situations necessary to bring a younger version of the character - at a different place in the character's life - to life on screen. Age of Adeline didn't convince me otherwise on that point, at least not to automatically prefer him over Alden, who has received multiple nominations for his acting in a Coen Bros. film.

M

Edit - typos

Last edited:

Two words about casting: bankable star...'nuff said:rolleyes:behave I would've preferred to see Ingruber in the title role...but the deck was already shuffled in terms of casting.

I think the AA footage is what truly convinced people that he Ingruber could do it, since it was a feature film. Obviously, the director thought he could act well enough to be a young Harrison Ford. Even Harrison thought so. (Although, he's also notorious for backing his movie's credibility no matter what the quality, these days.)

You bring up some valid points about whether he had the creativity to pull it off, but I think he would have found it. Besides, no one here can tell me that if it were Ingruber instead of Alden they wouldn't still see the movie. I will most likely see it and so will the rest of the world because of two little words – STAR WARS.

Although, it kinda looks like Disney isn't totally convinced that this is a slam-dunk, considering their casting of big name ACTORS, like well-established Woody Harrelson and super-popular HBO darling, Emilia Clark rounding out the cast to get the pot heads and dragon lady/GOT lovers in the theater.

Let me say this. I subscribe to what Liz Lemon said to Jack Donaghy in 30 Rock, "Any dumb-dumb can act, Jack." So, I'm sure Ingruber could have done what Alden is hoping to accomplish in this role.

I'll stop beating my drum and go back to my cave now.

Ingruber does a great Harrison impression but I don't think the mojo is the same once you get past that.

My beef with the Alden decision is that I smell BS. It says bad things about the project if they weren't giving the casting an honest go. Even if they got the right guy I think they may have done it in the wrong way.

I hear what alot of people are saying, but I would like to make the following observations:
Its interesting to note that alot of people here are saying that Steven Spielberg has pushed Alden into the role so it was a done deal. I'd point out there is one absolute test of for this coming up very shortly.
There is to be a fifth Indiana Jones film.And he is supposed to be directing it.For release in July 2019. So they will need to start shooting this soon.
Who would you see or preffer in the next Indiana Jones movie?
I honestly don't see how they can handle this without ( re) casting somebody as his son again so he can then take the franchise forward after Harrison , or they deal with an earlier adventure with Harrison reflecting back upon it.
In which case I would imagine Anthony would be the perfect person for the role. He's physically such a good match ,nearer to Fords height and build by a mile than Alden. That picture of him and Ford together is remarkable, he looks more like Fords son than Fords sons!!! Put Alden against Harrison in the same movie and perhaps you've a worse problem with the audience acceptance than you might want.
So I'd say if I were at Lucasfilm I'd make the roles seperate, Alden for Solo, Anthony for Raiders and see what works (or doesn't) as the case maybe.
I personally feel the only thing that works against Alden at the moment is his lack of physical presence, but the cast seems to have been carefully selected around him to negate that.And I think he will probably deliver a better performance in this role rather than in a Raiders movie and he seems to have that certain roguish quality that appeals as Solo , whilst Anthony is more of the stronger hero type like Indiana.
Alden is certainly better suited to the Lego Movie directors, in the same way Chris Pratt voice was, and its likely to be a very lively movie as a result. And if he crashes and burns as Solo well, that won't carry over to the other franchise.
Still ,IF Alden gets cast into the Indy V we can all whip eachother into a frenzy then .

I kinda get where you're going with that idea CutThumb. If you cast Ingruber as a young Indy, then you shouldn't cast him also as a young Solo...and my question is: why not? Schedule problems having the same actor play a young H.Ford in movies that might be at the box office at the same time? I don't think that that would be a problem.
One movie is Amblin, the other is Disney...move along, nothing to see here:behave:rolleyes

I'm not necessarily even pointing the finger at Spielberg in particular for the Alden/Solo choice. I just think it smells like they chose Alden first and then went through the motions with a casting process.

I would bet money that Han & Indy won't share their actor moving forward, no matter who they are or what project. Disney/Lucasfilm would probably rather avoid that just on principle.

I kinda get where you're going with that idea CutThumb. If you cast Ingruber as a young Indy, then you shouldn't cast him also as a young Solo...and my question is: why not? Schedule problems having the same actor play a young H.Ford in movies that might be at the box office at the same time? I don't think that that would be a problem.
One movie is Amblin, the other is Disney...move along, nothing to see here:behave:rolleyes

They are both Lucasfilm/Disney

J

Since we're playing what-if's now....what if Ingruber was given the choice of Solo or Jones and he chose Jones? I mean, think about it. Han Solo is a one-off and LFL has been pretty clear that the stand alones are just one-offs, with no sequels (see the wiping out of the entire R1 crew). Raiders, meanwhile, could be endless. If you have the job, that could be anywhere from 1-5 flicks or even more.

Since we're playing what-if's now....what if Ingruber was given the choice of Solo or Jones and he chose Jones? I mean, think about it. Han Solo is a one-off and LFL has been pretty clear that the stand alones are just one-offs, with no sequels (see the wiping out of the entire R1 crew). Raiders, meanwhile, could be endless. If you have the job, that could be anywhere from 1-5 flicks or even more.

I don't know,.....if the Han film is a success,....I'd say they will make more,...the R1 had a specific story to tell & fit into a particular place

J

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back