Solo: A Star Wars Story

People will show up if it says Star Wars, and if it is a good relatable story they'll stick around for more...

That's the real trick, isn't it! ;)

Yes, I will show up if it says "Star Wars". I dont care who the actors/players are as long as its a great (even a good) story. Let me sit down and forget about the real world and not be bombarded with a "over the top" agenda. Let me turn my brain off and have fun.

If I can't have fun...

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how many people that now dislike the new Star Wars will go see this film just so they can post in the post-release thread for this movie at the end of the month :lol

If word of mouth comes back as it being a great movie - we'll all be there sitting in the theater!

If word comes back that its a "so-so" movie... Some of us will wait for it on DVD.

Yet another clip has been released today, this time the first meeting of Han and Lando. This is the first clip I have enjoyed, and it was entirely due to Glover's performance.

I'm sure the disney marketing machine hopes that giving away all the "firsts" portrayed in the film, the first time Chewie co-pilots for Han, the first time Han sees the Falcon, etc, will get butts in seats. I suspect it's having the opposite effect though.

Well it's certainly true that they aren't going to please all of the fans all of the time. That goes without saying really. I think the excuse that Lucasfilm keeps feeding the public that fans are so picky and don't know what they want is an lame excuse for making bad creative decisions. Sure they can't always have sure fire hits, but if they stopped focusing on how can they could make the most money and just think about making good movies then fans will go to see them period. A good product sells itself through word of mouth.

I think it would go a long way to their favor AND the fans if they started hiring writers/ directors who can come up with positive uplifting themes and characters who support those themes while telling a fun adventure story. It's this exact reason that kids and adults alike are coming in droves to see every Marvel movie in the theater because despite some darker elements to the stories overall they are fun to watch and are escapism the way the original Star Wars movies were. Admittedly I'm not a huge comic book fan but I have seen nearly every Marvel movie whether it was in the theater or not because they are so much fun to watch. That speaks volumes about the way they are steering their company with their films.

I keep seeing this over and over again on internet articles and in the news about how Lucasfilm could really learn something from Marvel's example. It's amazing to me that in just one decade they could build a multi-billion dollar empire from comics that have been largely forgotten or completely unknown to the general public. Sure the stories and characters have been around for 50 plus years but the average Joe on the street knows next to nothing about Black Panther or Dr. Strange. The average Joe goes to see those movies in the theater because he sees the trailer and think it looks fun and when his friends tell him about it he goes with them and they escape reality for two hours.

Star Wars used to be like that but with Disney cranking them out they can't use the anticipation model that Lucas himself so cleverly used to build up hype for years before his movies were released. Marvel has been delivering multiple movies a year with little signs of fatigue from the fans who could easily get bombarded with superhero overload because Marvel is smart enough to plan out how the movies will fit into an overall story arc/ timeline and has cleverly managed to hire directors who deliver escapist entertainment.

It seems like even from a business perspective Lucasfilm fundamentally does not understand this. They just think if they slap the Star Wars logo on it, tie in a few well respected names to the production, and throw in some familiar elements from the previous movies that they will have a sure fire hit.

Last edited:
There is no pleasing everyone. If it was simple, they'd have done it.

First of all, @joshvanrad did not say, "everyone". He said "the majority of old fans, plus new ones". And he's right, it is simple to make a Star Wars film that would be loved by such a wide and broad swath across the movie-going public. KK hasn't done it because she has her own agenda, and she hires filmmakers based on their willingness to promote her agenda--instead of based on their SWIQs.

Put together a team of high-SWIQ filmmakers, and we'd get a great Star Wars movie that the LARGE majority of fans (new and old) would love--a film with just the right balance of creative new story lines, homages to the OT, and modern sensibilities that are natural and fitting, not forced.

As long as the filmmakers value SJW-ism more than SWIQ, we're gonna get more of these tripe movies, which are Star Wars in name only. (I think I just coined a new term: SWINO.)

Cayman shen, you should listen to joshvanrad, he knows the score.

The Wook

Last edited:
First of all, @joshvanrad did not say, "everyone". He said "the majority of old fans, plus new ones". And he's right, it is simple to make a Star Wars film that would be loved by such a wide and broad swath across the movie-going public. KK hasn't done it because she has her own agenda, and she hires filmmakers based on their willingness to promote her agenda--instead of based on their SWIQs.

Put together a team of high-SWIQ filmmakers, and we'd get a great Star Wars movie that the LARGE majority of fans (new and old) would love--a film with just the right balance of creative new story lines, homages to the OT, and modern sensibilities that are natural and fitting, not forced.

As long as the filmmakers value SJW-ism more than SWIQ, we're gonna get more of these tripe movies, which are Star Wars in name only. (I think I just coined a new term: SWINO.)

Cayman shen, you should listen to joshvanrad, he knows the score.

The Wook

I hate the SJW crap too, but it's hardly new to SW (Lucas is slightly left of Lenin, politically) and some people DO like it.

My point stands.

You should listen to me. I know the score.

Well, I wonder when I get up tomorrow how much will have leaked? Premiere tonight and I've noticed some of the "Reddit" crew have suddenly returned to the RPF forum. First reactions will be in at the very least. I'll take them with a pinch of salt until I get to hear otherwise. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic , basing that entirely on the trailers and clips from the last two weeks. Lets hope.

Well, I wonder when I get up tomorrow how much will have leaked? Premiere tonight and I've noticed some of the "Reddit" crew have suddenly returned to the RPF forum. First reactions will be in at the very least. I'll take them with a pinch of salt until I get to hear otherwise. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic , basing that entirely on the trailers and clips from the last two weeks. Lets hope.

Hey CT, are you talking about Cannes? When news broke a month ago, they had the screening slated for the Ides of May. But have they bumped it up to tonight?

The Wook

I remember the first two seasons of the Battlestar Galactica reboot, and the handful of jaw-dropping scenes it had, due to an intense story with well-built characters that you were emotionally invested in. I realize that 20+ episodes of TV is different than a 2+ hour film, but yet...with Star Wars, once you're done with principle introductions, it's all just a pretty basic theme with some spaceships and laser swords and pew pews, eh. But man, first you have to sell the gravity of the situation and the folks in the midst of it. The first Iron Man did a bang-up job of that, but after that I personally found the Marvel stuff to be very flashy and entertaining, but nothing that burrows into your soul; which is totally okay - it knows what it is, and WE know what to expect. I think they shot for that vibe in TLJ (for whatever reason) but just missed the mark because they underestimated the discriminating taste of SW sorts, who - and I think(?) I speak for most of us - would rather go for a long, inspired walk with close friends, as opposed to a roller coaster ride with a bunch of strangers, as regards our quest for story that resonates in our soul.

BG did that with attention to provocative themes surrounding trust and perception, and I dare say many episodes of Star Trek fit more narrative eloquence in 50 minutes, than I see in many 2 hour films today. It can be done, but after TLJ, it seems that those at the top are just banking on an ADHD-afflicted movie-going populace, I guess.

HOWEVER...I am getting this strange feeling that SOLO is going to be a pleasant surprise that many of us have needed, with characters that will make us feel something (besides contempt). Yeah, it's lower-hanging fruit, taking established, popular characters and working them into something meaningful, but god knows we've seen that screwed up beyond all recognition before. I don't think this will be one of those times, however. I'M SO READY FOR THIS.

But it's true.

Some people love the EU novels. Other than the Thrawn Trilogy, I think they're almost entirely trash. And I've read most of them (yes, I'm weak). If a SW movie felt like an EU novel, I'd feel like I was sitting through Comic Book Guy's fanfic. I'd want to die.

Other people are really into video games, and are very invested in those characters. I'm not. I think video games are dorky and boring.

Having said that, I love a lot of Star Wars comics (in my brain, they're NOT dorky. No, I can't explain myself). I would have loved a Dark Empire storyline, if the SE had been done earlier. I would also love Exar-Kun/Ulic-Kel-Droma movies. I imagine that some other fans would find that cheesy in the extreme.

I refuse to watch the SE. For some, the PT does not exist.

Then there's the bulk of ticket buyers who have no idea what the hell I've been talking about, because they're just regular folks who go to the movies and aren't invested the way super fans are. Those are the butts Disney needs in the seat. They pay the bills. But neither can Disney utterly write off fandom, because it's huge (and annoyingly, hysterically, shrill).

There is no pleasing everyone. If it was simple, they'd have done it.

That's a separate problem entirely. People who put their own requirements on Star Wars as far as which characters they want to see and which supplementary material should be included isn't what I'm talking about... and you can't fix those sorts of problems.

What I'm saying is create something new utilizing the themes of a traditional hero's journey and place it in the Star Wars universe. You're not undoing the arcs of previous characters. You're doing something new with a new set of relatable characters. And you're still following the themes that appeal to mass amounts of people. You could do that over and over again and people will continue to go see it.

The reason the hero's journey and the archetypes that are embedded in it resonate with us so deeply is because it is a timeless story. All you have to do is change names, conflicts, and settings.

Dc3CN8wV4AE-ERQ.jpg

Dc3CN8yV4AE-mDl.jpg

Dc3CN8wVQAASACZ.jpg

Dc3CN8yU0AAJ3q6.jpg

this isn't normal right? usually the premier is a week before the movies release right?

i remember back when i had social media and ep7 was coming out, i thought it was a week before... thats when i went a-wall from social media to avoid spoilers... same thing with R1... then never went to see it in theaters anyway

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back