Solo: A Star Wars Story

Left advanced ticket sales to the last minute, typical Disney lame move.

The real sign will be if the box office falls off a cliff like The Last Jedi did. Dont think that weasel like contract with the Theatre owners is in place with this so we shall see. No involvement from Ruin Johnson is encouraging though.

I dont make it here to the RPF as much anymore so I binge read. By doing so, is Bryan on some payroll plan to hype LFL projects? I myself have worked on many (both old and new LFL) and never had any issue speaking my own personal opinion, positive or negative, but Bryan, come on man, tell us, how much do they pay you?

Disney shareholder.

More than that. He's on the company payroll. KK's resident spy on the RPF.

At the risk of losing some precious SWIQ points, I've got to admit that first line actually sounded a bit like Han... for once.

Well, it was just one line, so you only lose a fraction of a SWIQ point. :lol

But no worries, Indy, you've got plenty of SWIQ to spare. :)

As for the line, it was a line we can easily imagine Han Solo saying, and his delivery of it was decent--to the extent that he sounded stressed, and in the moment. But he still sounds like an adolescent boy, not a man.

The Wook

More than that. He's on the company payroll. KK's resident spy on the RPF.

Hey Wook, that kind of personal criticism actually comes over a bit too strong . And a bit paranoid.

Where as Bryan has said he has family connection to Disney he's not employed by them. If you'd read any of his posts you'd have recognised he has very little to say about any other franchise or movies produced by them other than Star Wars. If it were otherwise you'd expect him to be posting an exceptional number of things related to Marvel, which he hasn't.
Given his age he shows and posts about the same range of interest in sci fi films and series as we all do, Blade runner, Star Trek, Alien, Battlestar Galactica ,Logans run etc and he is in no way different to the bulk of us EXCEPTING he is rather more open minded and flexible about his style of appreciation.

I doubt very much he has any direct connection to Lucasfilm at all, there have been people here that do and they aren't here any more. Its just too risky to be linked to leaks etc and the penalties for that are extreme. He's also been just as wrong as the rest of us about certain predictions about the way the story lines pan out in the films and relayed links to spoilers that would have been exceptional frowned upon by the powers that be.

I'm not saying I don't find his lack of antipathy towards the new saga quite annoying at times , it bugs the life out of me, particularly when he won't obviously criticize weaknesses in the movies scripts but he appears to be one of lifes great optimists, which unfortunately rubs against the grain of those who have had a little more darkness sprinkled into their outlook.

So hes not a Disney shill. He likes the films because he really likes them ,just as much as some of us really dislike them. If anything he just doesn't really take them as seriously as some of the fandom here , he's got plenty going on in his life and seems a well balanced ,successful and relatively happy person (at least until the next financial crash hits, at which point ,he probably won't).

Apparently C-3PO is set to make a cameo as is Darth Vader.

Considering that The Last Jedi was content to burn everything to the ground and "let the past die, kill it if you have to" they seem to have no problem using those "dead characters" as a means to shoe horn them in senselessly to their movies.

I'm not going to see Solo in the theater and likely won't even rent it. But seriously? 3PO in Solo? If that is true that will make absolutely no sense whatsoever. And why does Darth Vader need to be in it?

These could be rumors but whatever.

3PO and R2 were needlessly shoe horned in to Rogue One and could have easily been omitted from TFA and TLJ because lets face it, they had zero impact on the story other than as a nod to the fans of the OT. I love them but they don't need to be in this movie.

If this is true then it's just another stupid decision added to the millions of other stupid decisions since Lucasfilm was sold to Disney.

Last edited:
Hey Wook, that kind of personal criticism actually comes over a bit too strong . And a bit paranoid.

Where as Bryan has said he has family connection to Disney he's not employed by them. If you'd read any of his posts you'd have recognised he has very little to say about any other franchise or movies produced by them other than Star Wars. If it were otherwise you'd expect him to be posting an exceptional number of things related to Marvel, which he hasn't.
Given his age he shows and posts about the same range of interest in sci fi films and series as we all do, Blade runner, Star Trek, Alien, Battlestar Galactica ,Logans run etc and he is in no way different to the bulk of us EXCEPTING he is rather more open minded and flexible about his style of appreciation.

I doubt very much he has any direct connection to Lucasfilm at all, there have been people here that do and they aren't here any more. Its just too risky to be linked to leaks etc and the penalties for that are extreme. He's also been just as wrong as the rest of us about certain predictions about the way the story lines pan out in the films and relayed links to spoilers that would have been exceptional frowned upon by the powers that be.

I'm not saying I don't find his lack of antipathy towards the new saga quite annoying at times , it bugs the life out of me, particularly when he won't obviously criticize weaknesses in the movies scripts but he appears to be one of lifes great optimists, which unfortunately rubs against the grain of those who have had a little more darkness sprinkled into their outlook.

So hes not a Disney shill. He likes the films because he really likes them ,just as much as some of us really dislike them. If anything he just doesn't really take them as seriously as some of the fandom here , he's got plenty going on in his life and seems a well balanced ,successful and relatively happy person (at least until the next financial crash hits, at which point ,he probably won't).

He can take it.

giphy.gif

He's just worried because this movie is picking up a huge fan base and is starting to look like it will be extremely successful...his worst nightmare! :lol

He's just worried because this movie is picking up a huge fan base and is starting to look like it will be extremely successful...his worst nightmare! :lol

I hate feeding the troll, but I'll say it again: ALL Star Wars movies are extremely successful. Even when they're duds on the SWIQ-O-Meter.

Disney's banking on there being a lot of low-SWIQ millennials (and low-SWIQ old dudes like you) filling up the seats, to make up for the loss of high-SWIQ OT fans.

Financially, at least for now, it's a sound bet. Artistically, it's criminal.

The Wook

If liking what I see so far of the movie lowers my SWIQ, then so be it

Like the real IQ test, it is a flawed metric anyway

Trailers are frequently misleading. We've seen lots of stuff in previous film trailers that didn't even make it into the final cut. And we've seen lots of other stuff that did make the final cut, but was not what it seemed. There have been many things I was tempted to rip in these Solo trailers, but I've held back for these very reasons.

Do I have high hopes for this film? No. The actor playing the eponymous character was horribly miscast. But maybe the film will surprise in other ways.

Even if it does surprise in other ways, though, I strongly suspect it'll not be enough to overcome their failure to cast a good Han Solo.

We'll see in a couple weeks.

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back