Subscribe
  1. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Jun 4, 2018, 7:06 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6451

edge10 said: View Post
    So, if Ingruber had been cast as Han, you could overlook the SJW droid with her droid lives matter campaign? Just thinking about it makes me want to throw up.
    No, of course not. As much as I think he would've nailed the role, even that would not've been enough to make this a great film--everything else being the same (such as the horrible droid). But, I would've enjoyed the movie so much more because of AI playing Han.

With AE, it flat-out sucked.

The Wook
    From
    Orlando
    Jun 4, 2018, 7:09 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6452

Axlotl said: View Post
    Of course. It couldn't possibly the legions of fans PO'd about The Last Jedi. It must be something else...
    Looks like Lucasfilm hasn’t learned yet.

Another boycott maybe.
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Jun 4, 2018, 7:53 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6453

I'm holding out for Greedo -The Musical.
    From
    Orlando
    Jun 4, 2018, 7:59 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6454

MooCriket said: View Post
    I'm holding out for Greedo -The Musical.
    Why not Skywalker - A Star Wars Story. We could see young Luke bullseye womp rats and visit Anchor Head. Who knows, Spielberg might meet another up and coming actor at a Bar-mitzvah or Bat-mitzvah?.
  5. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Jun 4, 2018, 10:29 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6455

Finally saw this today. Many thoughts. One thing I have to say. This movie felt nothing like Star Wars as I know it ( cherished it ) in any way. That is until Chewbacca showed up. Chewy made the movie watchable for me. He brought Han into the story fully I thought for me.

. The movie was way too dimly lit. Both in sight and mentality. As simple as she was I liked the Enfys Nest character and her Rebels. Lando was done well I thought too.
    Didn't catch any of the pansexual stuff that was talked about. Landos droid I did not care for. I liked the navigation aspect of the droid and caring for other droids but other than that the droid was very off putting, to me any way. Beckett uninteresting, same with Val and Vos. Vos light up knuckle knives were just silly. Quira was good for what part she was given.
    Enjoyed seeing the Falcon's beginning and Rio the pilot was cool too. Although I never felt like the voice matched him or should be coming out of him.

I liked it for what it was. Could it have been better. Absolutely, but after TLJ there was nowhere to go but up. Not all that much higher but you get the idea.

I would have liked to have seen a Bossk, Dengar, Zuckuss, 4 LOM or IG 88 for sure.

I have to think that there is someone out there actually has the talent to write a Star Wars Movie or Movies that has there finger on the pulse of what made the OT Movies so cherished to so many of us. There just has to be. Look at what Adywan did.
    From
    NYC
    Jun 4, 2018, 10:32 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6456

The industry "analyst" Creutz doesn't seem to be well equipped to be analyzing Solo's box office issues. Particular when he dismisses: " lingering fan animus toward TLJ, “If the franchise was able to survive Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, we have a hard time believing Last Jedi could have done that much damage,” Creutz writes." The difference is that TPM and AOTC didn't wipe out the existing Star Wars universe and thus alienate long-time fans in the process. (Full disclosure: I actually like the prequel trilogy.) Is Creutz tone deaf. Although I can appreciate how marketing may have exacerbated Solo's box office woes, I do believe that push back from TLJ did affect Solo to some degree.

Creutz also seems incredulous that LFL has been plagued by production issues while Marvel has not. I'm not sure that's a fair comparison as Creutz seems to forget that Marvel comics has a rich history spanning back to the 1940s, and Stan Lee and Jack Kirby began implementing the successful cross-over storylines in the 1960s, which are currently the backbone of Marvel Production. In contrast, LFL has only the Skywalker saga to draw upon, which is relatively limited in scope compared to Marvel. I believe that when you have so many great comic books to draw your stories from, that solves many potential issues in pre production and production. Star Wars doesn't have this luxury, although this problem is somewhat self imposed as they could walk over to Lucas and ask him to create some new stories. Creutz also forgets to mention that Marvel did have production issues with Ant-Man when Edgar Wright left, deep sixed the promising-looking Inhumans movie which eventually became a Z-grade tv show, and (even though it's a TV production) insipidly gave the green light to produce Iron Fist (which deserves an iron foot in its ass).

I just hope that Creutz's analyses of other publicly-traded companies never make it into the hands of my financial planner and the managers of the mutual funds I invest in.

alienscollection.com said: View Post
    ‘Solo’ A No-Go Due To “Poor Marketing,” Not Franchise Fatigue, Analyst Says

https://deadline.com/2018/06/disney-...yst-1202403154

Separately, I'm not so sure that Larry Kasden and his son are the best choice to be pushing and writing new SW movies. SW fans might give him too much credit for the success of ESB. Lucas did come up with the story, and Leigh Brackett wrote the first draft which is fairly similar to the final version. Larry Kasden also wrote ROTJ, which has some of the most stilted dialogue in the OT.
    Last edited by el toro; Jun 4, 2018 at 10:46 PM.
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    WA state
    Jun 5, 2018, 3:51 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6457

el toro said: View Post
    The industry "analyst" Creutz doesn't seem to be well equipped to be analyzing Solo's box office issues. Particular when he dismisses: " lingering fan animus toward TLJ, “If the franchise was able to survive Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, we have a hard time believing Last Jedi could have done that much damage,” Creutz writes." The difference is that TPM and AOTC didn't wipe out the existing Star Wars universe and thus alienate long-time fans in the process. (Full disclosure: I actually like the prequel trilogy.) Is Creutz tone deaf. Although I can appreciate how marketing may have exacerbated Solo's box office woes, I do believe that push back from TLJ did affect Solo to some degree.

Creutz also seems incredulous that LFL has been plagued by production issues while Marvel has not. I'm not sure that's a fair comparison as Creutz seems to forget that Marvel comics has a rich history spanning back to the 1940s, and Stan Lee and Jack Kirby began implementing the successful cross-over storylines in the 1960s, which are currently the backbone of Marvel Production. In contrast, LFL has only the Skywalker saga to draw upon, which is relatively limited in scope compared to Marvel. I believe that when you have so many great comic books to draw your stories from, that solves many potential issues in pre production and production. Star Wars doesn't have this luxury, although this problem is somewhat self imposed as they could walk over to Lucas and ask him to create some new stories. Creutz also forgets to mention that Marvel did have production issues with Ant-Man when Edgar Wright left, deep sixed the promising-looking Inhumans movie which eventually became a Z-grade tv show, and (even though it's a TV production) insipidly gave the green light to produce Iron Fist (which deserves an iron foot in its ass).

I just hope that Creutz's analyses of other publicly-traded companies never make it into the hands of my financial planner and the managers of the mutual funds I invest in.

Separately, I'm not so sure that Larry Kasden and his son are the best choice to be pushing and writing new SW movies. SW fans might give him too much credit for the success of ESB. Lucas did come up with the story, and Leigh Brackett wrote the first draft which is fairly similar to the final version. Larry Kasden also wrote ROTJ, which has some of the most stilted dialogue in the OT.
    I agree that there is some bad blood due to how TLJ was handled, especially Luke Skywalker and how the Force was portrayed as something that could kill you in certain circumstances.

Star Wars doesn't have a history of stories dating back to the 40's. But they do have a respectable history of EU/Legends stories dating all the way back to the OT movies. That's about 32 years of material until the Disney acquisition, plus whatever they've done since the acquisition. They have far more than just the Saga to draw from....far more. The real reason that SW cannot keep pace with the MCU is because of how passionate the leadership is for the respective material. Also, Feige handles the movies and has nothing to do with the TV side of Marvel. Do not conflate the two sides of that coin.

I do agree that Jon Kasdan should have nothing to do with writing SW movies. He is completely unqualified and cannot even handle simple interviews. His father, despite some stumbles, still has it within him to produce a good script.
    Jun 6, 2018, 3:14 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6458

Moving forward, I really wonder what Disney will do next, with this movie turning out as badly for them as it has. I’ll admit here that when I mentioned a “minority” of fans who were unhappy about TLJ and to a lesser extent much of the other stuff produced since Disney bought the franchise, I may have underestimated just how widespread the sentiment was. It’s difficult to gauge anger on the internet, since the most vocal people tend to be on one extreme or the other.

A question for anyone here, whether you have liked the last few movies or not: what would you rather see going forward? Brand new characters, worlds, and stories, all far removed from what has come before, or more attempts to “get it right” with familiar heroes/villains/places and the frequent nostalgia callbacks we’ve been seeing?

Personally, the way things have been going, I’d opt for the former. I’m curious if Disney has it backwards. Instead of mining the OT for every bit of nostalgia they can (and missing the mark on “doing it right” according to many, many fans), maybe they should try something entirely different? I’m sure early discussions centered around the idea that the OT was the best loved part of the franchise and that tying new films to it was somewhat crucial to fan happiness and monetary success. Maybe they were wrong?
    Last edited by Jagjaguwar; Jun 6, 2018 at 3:22 PM.
    Jun 6, 2018, 4:23 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6459

el toro said: View Post
    The industry "analyst" Creutz doesn't seem to be well equipped to be analyzing Solo's box office issues. Particular when he dismisses: " lingering fan animus toward TLJ, “If the franchise was able to survive Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, we have a hard time believing Last Jedi could have done that much damage,” Creutz writes." The difference is that TPM and AOTC didn't wipe out the existing Star Wars universe and thus alienate long-time fans in the process. (Full disclosure: I actually like the prequel trilogy.)

I think that rather ignores the comments of fans around the time of the PT. I know I felt like "Star Wars was dead" and that my Star Wars had been abandoned for some crappy new version that I wanted nothing to do with. I mean, I still paid to see ROTS in the theater, but I did so just feeling kind of...empty about it. I've come to appreciate the Prequel era, if not all of the prequel films (ROTS is watchable, though). But when those films came out and especially for a few years after, there was absolutely fan backlash.

Is Creutz tone deaf. Although I can appreciate how marketing may have exacerbated Solo's box office woes, I do believe that push back from TLJ did affect Solo to some degree.

I doubt it, to be honest. I think that the box office is pretty anemic right now altogether. Other than Infinity War, nobody's doing mindblowing numbers. Deadpool 2, for example, dropped the same percentage weekend 1 to weekend 2 as Solo: 65%. Solo has topped the box office the last two weeks, which suggests to me more that people just aren't going to the movies that much, rather than that they are specifically bothered by Solo. You might see some Star Wars fatigue (into which I would also lump TLJ dissatisfaction), but I think that's only affecting things at the edges.

Within the fandom, I think it could also be that people are like "Really? A Han Solo prequel? I mean...I guess I'll see it at some point, but...eh...whatever." That's more about the concept that nobody was ever really asking for. That's been my response. I want to see it, but more because I'm curious to see the Star Wars universe itself be expanded, not because I give a crap about who Han Solo dated when he was drag racing cars or whatever.
    From
    Chicago
    Jun 6, 2018, 7:32 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6460

Finally got around to seeing Solo myself:

-L3 is super annoying and basically throws "droid equal rights" in your face for half the movie. Now I've heard it's deliberate, but it doesn't come across as such at all. It's just annoying. I'm actually kinda happy when she is destroyed so we don't have to listen to her excessive jabbering.

-The showing was too dark, which I've heard is a prominent problem with this movie. I could hardly make out any details, and everything looked desaturated. It was not visually enticing at all.

-There's waaaaaay too much "wink wink nudge nudge" thrown into the dialogue. The amount of callbacks was almost every other line. It comes to the point of being annoyingly superfluous. Like, we get it, this is what's going to happen in the OT. It's terrible. The dialogue in general isn't great though.

-Fortunately Alden Ehrenreich makes it work. He's not a terrible Han, but he's not a great Harrison Ford either. He's his own character at points who occasionally throws out dialogue with a Han-like inflections.

-Are we really supposed to believe that Lando's been hanging on to that same Jabba Palace guard costume for 15 years? Really? That was a terrible callback.
    From
    california
    Jun 6, 2018, 7:46 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6461

Jagjaguwar said: View Post
    A question for anyone here, whether you have liked the last few movies or not: what would you rather see going forward? Brand new characters, worlds, and stories, all far removed from what has come before, or more attempts to “get it right” with familiar heroes/villains/places and the frequent nostalgia callbacks we’ve been seeing?
    I would rather have stories not immediately connected to the old characters. Not that I didn’t want eps 7,8, and 9. I do. Regarding other Star Wars stories, there is a problem with ALL prequels, and that is you know what’s going to come. The PT gave us really bad explanations of what had happened before.....and while I liked Solo, it wasn’t necessary. Rogue One was fairly decent, but again, not exactly full of surprises. I don’t need to see a Boba Fett film, and even an Obi wan film, while intriguing to a point, better be damn good.
    I’ll happily take a Rogue Squadron type of film, or some ancillary in universe story where the outcome is mildly in doubt.
    From
    Herald, Kalifornia
    Jun 6, 2018, 8:36 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6462

Finally saw it. Yes, it was too dark, speaking illumination-wise.

I saw it with my folks for my birthday. I'm 44 today. However, the overt sexual references weren't funny, and even at my advanced age, made me super uncomfortable. Why? Why did that have to be in there? It was just weird and useless. It may be Disney's biggest affront to George's creation yet. Making a movie that kids might feel awkward watching with their folks is not something that was ever in the cards for him, that I can imagine. Was glad L3 wasn't in it for too long.

It makes me sad that Howard will probably not be allowed to direct another "Star Wars" movie. I enjoy him as a director, and for him to take any blame for it's perceived failure is unfair. He did the best he could with a troubled production.

There was plenty I enjoyed. Most of which I'm sure is easy to guess and has probably been pointed out here. The anthology films are where it's at for me so far.
    Last edited by PantheraGem; Jun 6, 2018 at 8:46 PM.
    From
    Terra Australis
    Jun 7, 2018, 12:25 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6463

Happy 44th Birthday @PantheraGem.
  14. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Jun 7, 2018, 1:43 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6464

Mr Webber said: View Post
    Happy 44th Birthday @PantheraGem.
    Yes, and many more!!!
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Jun 7, 2018, 3:19 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6465

Moving forward, I really wonder what Disney will do next, with this movie turning out as badly for them as it has. I’ll admit here that when I mentioned a “minority” of fans who were unhappy about TLJ and to a lesser extent much of the other stuff produced since Disney bought the franchise, I may have underestimated just how widespread the sentiment was. It’s difficult to gauge anger on the internet, since the most vocal people tend to be on one extreme or the other.

Personally, the way things have been going, I’d opt for the former. I’m curious if Disney has it backwards. Instead of mining the OT for every bit of nostalgia they can (and missing the mark on “doing it right” according to many, many fans), maybe they should try something entirely different? I’m sure early discussions centered around the idea that the OT was the best loved part of the franchise and that tying new films to it was somewhat crucial to fan happiness and monetary success. Maybe they were wrong?

Agree with your your thoughts about future SW films ... as long as RJ and his ‘ brand ‘ of filmmaking isn’t involved with any of them .

Ged
    Jun 10, 2018, 3:44 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6466

I loved everything about Solo. I think some extra back story about Han and his “dad” would have been a little more pulling at the heart strings. Especially since his own son kills him. Some sort of irony could have been exploited. That’s just a side note. I was however disappointed at the lack of blue milk.

The Easter eggs and AND legends connections.....whoa.

I’m super excited to see a Mandalorian Star Wars film.

I also liked L337. I’m a droid fan, the Legends of Luke Skywalker book highlights some droid perspective that I think is a fascinating philosophical element of Star Wars.

The DVD will make a fine addition to my collection.
    Jun 10, 2018, 9:46 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6467

‘Solo’ Director Ron Howard Responds To Fan’s ‘Star Wars’ Lament

https://deadline.com/2018/06/solo-di...nt-1202407302/
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Jun 16, 2018, 1:39 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6468

I heart Scientist Man

Jun 16, 2018, 1:45 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6469

Saw it for a third time with my other kid and his friend. Lol!
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Jun 16, 2018, 2:41 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6470

Clutch said: View Post
    Saw it for a third time with my other kid and his friend. Lol!
    I'm up to four so far, and still hoping to see it as many more times as I can in theaters. Incidentally, everyone I've seen it with has liked it a lot and, with the exception of the teenaged kid of one friend, and another friend who turns 30 this summer, everyone I've seen it with so far has been in their late 30s to early 40s (including me *sigh*) and a pretty much lifelong SW fan, casual to fairly immersive.
    From
    The Outer Rim
    Jun 17, 2018, 7:07 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6471

Pleasantly surprised. Didn't love all of it and found that the plot meandered and it was overly long in spots, but still exceeded expectations. Ron Howard did a good job. I would have prefered showing Han being a wiseguy at the academy instead of the romantic opener. The actor playing Han lacked Ford's natural charm, but he was good enough and, as always, Chewie is the secret sauce that makes it work. The guy playing Lando was having a great time.

Thumbs up for me.
    From
    Chicago
    Jun 18, 2018, 11:38 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6472

A question for anyone here, whether you have liked the last few movies or not: what would you rather see going forward? Brand new characters, worlds, and stories, all far removed from what has come before, or more attempts to “get it right” with familiar heroes/villains/places and the frequent nostalgia callbacks we’ve been seeing? ...
    Honestly? A healthy mix of both. I'd love a more in-depth backstory on the TPM Jedi Council, The more I learn about it, the more i'd love to see what they do with a Master Sifo Dias character. However, R1 is absolutely my favorite of the new string, and it seemed like it was born off of a single, "toss-able" line from Mon Mothma. So, to that respect, Absolutely flesh out some of these hinted at stories from the EU and Offhand Comments.

Solo, while my lowest marked SW Movie (seen in one sitting) to date, Is definitely a movie I enjoyed overall. Hit the target but not the mark. Long story short, He should've stayed dead.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Jun 18, 2018, 11:50 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6473

If the PT didn't ruin Darth Vader (though it tried...oh MAN did it try), then TLJ didn't ruin Luke and Solo didn't ruin Han. If the OT is the only thing you love about SW, then, well, you'll always have Paris.

Oh nevermind, Lucas, who some of you want back, ruined and suppressed the OT.

Any word on Solo's bluray date?
    Jun 18, 2018, 12:46 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6474

September is the Blu-Ray release estimate, I think.

To add to what you said, I find the “new Star Wars is ruining my childhood!” argument from fans in their 40s and 50s to be the most puzzling of all. Really? Retroactively ruining it?

Who is forcing these poor fans to keep watching?

In my own case, I can look back to the fourth Indiana Jones movie. I loved the original 3, and didn’t feel like the literal “ride off into the sunset” at the end of Last Crusade could be topped. Did I watch the new movie anyway? Did I complain about how it was terrible, and ruined the others, and ruined my life? No. I just didn’t go see it. Plenty of people seemed to enjoy it. Nothing lost for me by letting others enjoy things.

edit: also wanted to add that I’m not suggesting that people who haven’t loved every one of these new movies should quit watching them altogether. Just that it often sounds like people feel obligated to go to each new film as it comes out. It’s ok to take a break or skip one. It’s easier than ever to catch up on what you may have missed. I think I have a copy of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in my box set. Who knows, maybe someday I’ll feel like watching it.
    Last edited by Jagjaguwar; Jun 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM.
    From
    Terra Australis
    Jun 18, 2018, 6:47 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #6475

It’s ok to take a break or skip one.
    Its funny you say that as the largest group in Star Wars history recently did exactly that. Whether that is just confined to one movie is something I`m sure Disney are worried about even though there will be those who would straight up lie and say they are not.