Solo: A Star Wars Story

As for the AE argument, I agree the hatred and vitriol is unwarranted from those who haven’t even seen the film.

Have you seen any hatred and vitriol regarding AE on this site? If so, please quote it here, because I must've missed it. If you cannot find a quote you're thinking of, just paraphrase it based on your best recollection.

Thanks.

The Wook

That was one of my biggest groans in R1 too. Made no sense whatsoever! Essentially they knew where the hidden Rebel base was all along but didn't mention anything to Luke or Obi-Wan, LOL. Had they actually been captured, the Empire would have interogated them, melted them down, and ended the Rebellion in one swift stroke!

Hopefully Darth Kennedy learned from that mistake.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i thought the droids had their memories wiped or altered prior to Star Wars ‘77 ?... IIRC 3PO even states to Luke that they were the property of Cap’n Antilles before the Tantive was captured ?

:cheersGed

i thought the droids had their memories wiped or altered prior to Star Wars ‘77 ?... IIRC 3PO even states to Luke that they were the property of Cap’n Antilles before the Tantive was captured ?

:cheersGed
They likely had their memories wiped after Episode 3 ROTS, at least 3P0 seems to have. R2 is a little more of a wild card and there is always been a question how much memory was whiped. R2 doesn't seem to regognize an older Obi-Wan for example but is fiercely dedicated to the Rebel cause and his mission to find Kenobi.

In any case, so little time transpires between R1 and Episode 4 ANH, it's not likely Captain Antilles could have had their memories whiped again between their time on the Rebel base and the battle of Scariff, as they had to go in a hurry.

The droids comeradery and bikering suggests they have been working together for some time aboard the Tantive IV. 3PO also tells Luke a little of the Rebellion, but: "There's not much to tell, I'm not much more than an interpetor". LOL.

Fan throries and old EU stories abound that both droids have some selective programming and memories in ANH. Case in point: 3PO in Ben's hut when confronted with Obi-Wan's Jedi lore stories and lies of Luke's father (from a certain point of view) decides to shut down for a bit. But not R2, who us always more curious and independent. R2 exceeds his programming from time to time exhibiting his "personality" likely from decades of adventure. Yet it's not like R2 ever spills the beans to Luke that he is a droid veteran of the Clone Wars and such and served his father.

So it was already a mystery just how much the droids know of SW history prior to EP4 ANH. Dumping more fuel on the fire in R1 just seems like poor decision making by writers, directors, efitors and producers just to wink at the audience. Sort of like breaking the 4th wall almost.

If I was told I MUST include the droids in R1, I would have had the Rebel Blockade Runner troopers just run past them in the hallway after their narrow escape and blast-off from Vader. Just like what happens when we first see them in early ANH in the hallway. "Did you hear that, they shut down the main reactor'" scene. That would have had a beautiful symmetry to it.

If I was told I MUST include the droids in R1, I would have had the Rebel Blockade Runner troopers just run past them in the hallway after their narrow escape and blast-off from Vader. Just like what happens when we first see them in early ANH in the hallway. "Did you hear that, they shut down the main reactor'" scene. That would have had a beautiful symmetry to it.

Yeah, or I would have had it be an easter egg that you had to look for and not make obvious and in-your-face. I don't think those 2 need to have a cameo in every film. The universe is too large for R2-D2 and C-3PO to just happen to be where the action is,

Yeah, or I would have had it be an easter egg that you had to look for and not make obvious and in-your-face. I don't think those 2 need to have a cameo in every film. The universe is too large for R2-D2 and C-3PO to just happen to be where the action is,
I agree. I'm sure in R1's case Darth Kennedy told them though shall present full on screen a gratuitous shot of the droids with speaking parts. To sell toys, it's for the children...

As for the AE argument, I agree the hatred and vitriol is unwarranted from those who haven’t even seen the film.

"Good! Your hate has made you powerful."

Powerful enough to improve the toy line now just need to do
this for the entire movie. George is good at digital correction after the fact, right?

Than again, the droids are George's storytellers and effectively together become the SW universe's Forrester Gump.

Run 4RST run!

So I got to thinking about this as I was watching some old off-screen Boba Fett footage, thinking how, if there was a character that could be made truly interesting, that taps into remotely relatable emotions for us earthbound sorts, and could make for a dark and interesting movie, that would probably be the one (for me). IMHO.

And then I started thinking how a lot of SW fans would be barking (rightly or wrongly, I'm not judging) that his whole MO is as a mystery man, that it's a story that doesn't need to be told.

And THEN...I started thinking about the entire EU...some facet of which is beloved by most(?). And it struck me - aren't those all stories that didn't need to be told? So, okay, the difference being, "Yeah, but, those were at least all done well, with a respect for the original subject matter". Now, I think we all know that this isn't necessarily true; this was a desperate time for SW folks; many of us were latching on to anything. And yet, we've always had our triggers; "Hot chocolate" in Dark Force Rising was one of mine. (I didn't read any EU on principle - aside from dabbling in the Han Solo trilogy as a kid - until a couple of years ago, and when I ran across that, I knew I screwed up, and ultimately didn't make it out of the book). Was I being ridiculous? Maybe. Point being, our triggers all reside in a very grey, very individualistic area.

But I guess my takeaway from all of that, is how much easier it is to be forgiving of books - or even parts of books - that don't square with "Our Star Wars". People are ripping SOLO after 3 minutes of footage, when I know there were parts of these books - annoying phrases/words used multiple times ("sardonically"..UGH!), characters behaving in an inconsistent fashion, etc. - that were jarring, but I seem to get a sense of more of a forgiving, "Eh, it was really good, in spite of itself at times" vibe from book sorts. Damning with faint praise is still praise, eh.

Which is all fine, of course. My question though is, do we attribute more "weight" to the movies, and is that fair? I mean sure, the movies are "canon", but they don't have to be (to you). Take what you like from the movie (if anything), and dismiss the rest. OR...is this just more of a "Sign of the times" thing, with social media just exacerbating the negativity by creating an anonymous voice, and almost - dare I say - creating folks hoping for failure in the name of their "transcendent fandom"? And don't get me wrong - guilty as charged on voicing my hate...but at least it's always been post-release hate! :)

Is there an inherent respect given to books simply because of their attempt at depth (whether they achieve it or not)? Maybe we let our imagination fill in the blanks more, to take a so-so scene and make it awesome, as opposed to a movie's visuals removing all ambiguity?

Have you seen any hatred and vitriol regarding AE on this site? If so, please quote it here, because I must've missed it. If you cannot find a quote you're thinking of, just paraphrase it based on your best recollection.

Thanks.

The Wook

No, on this forum we're pretty good. But I have seen comments on other social media platforms, mostly Facebook and YouTube, saying how he's a talentless actor, he'll ruin the character, etc, hell, I saw a post when the movie was still filming that said, "wish AE would die so they would be forced to replace him with someone else". That was what I was referencing. I've never seen him in any movie, so my hang-up is not that I don't think he can act, I just don't buy him as a young Solo.

I don't think that the EU books dodged that much scrutiny. Because I remember hearing a lot of chatter about how bad some of it was. I think at least two factors are at play with what you observed. The first is that books are easier to dismiss, especially if one didn't read it. For myself, I read the Zahn trilogy when it came out. I remember liking it very much at the time, and as an aside, I wish the sequel trilogy was as good. I bought one other EU book, I don't remember which at the moment, and thought it was awful. I never finished reading it.

The other factor I think is that a lot of that stuff came out pre-internet. In spite of being a very useful resource for things, the internet does have a bad side. Suddenly everyone with an opinion is a screen writer/director and doesn't mind voicing their opinion about "hack" writing, ect. I'm guilty of this myself. Its best to just ignore as much of this as possible. :D I come on here sometimes and see people trashing movies that I love, and also see people loving on movies that I think are trash. Everybody's mileage varies.

PS. After reading your post, I think a little chocolate syrup could do wonders for green Sea Walrus milk. :)

No, on this forum we're pretty good. But I have seen comments on other social media platforms, mostly Facebook and YouTube, saying how he's a talentless actor, he'll ruin the character, etc, hell, I saw a post when the movie was still filming that said, "wish AE would die so they would be forced to replace him with someone else". That was what I was referencing. I've never seen him in any movie, so my hang-up is not that I don't think he can act, I just don't buy him as a young Solo.

Well, I tried watching a couple of things Alden starred in so I could warm up to him and I felt he had about as much presence as a wet dish rag. So, I really don't get the appeal of this kid. And I think it just goes to show that Spielberg must be going senile.

oMG !!! It just hit me, by closeup-examining images of the train What if, the train is a prisoner transport and the whole "job" is nothing else but freeing a large number of Wookiee slaves from the clutches of the empire ?

oMG !!! It just hit me, by closeup-examining images of the train What if, the train is a prisoner transport and the whole "job" is nothing else but freeing a large number of Wookiee slaves from the clutches of the empire ?

I assumed it was after seeing Malla(?) in the trailer.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back