Subscribe
  1. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    May 16, 2018, 7:22 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5551

CT1138 said: View Post
    They still could have done it. It would have been odd to see a SW trailer in front of a SW movie, but that's really what they should have done. This movie could use all the positive press it can get, and frankly, it's just not getting it. I love Han Solo. I cried like a baby when they killed off his character in TFA, but I my interest in this movie is nearly nonexistent. I have a piqued curiosity, not much else. I should be hyped as Hell for this movie, but I'm not.
    It's a tough call. They made the decision they did and going forward we'll see if that changes is other realeses come so close together...which I think is likely. I think a 2 films per year release schedule is in the cards eventually, especially with the launch of the streaming serivice in 2019. You were always going to be a tough sell for this film because you love Han and that means Harrison's Han. Just keep in mind this film was a Gerorge Lucas idea, he wanted this to happen, for what it's worth.
    May 16, 2018, 7:53 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5552

Is there going to be any additional filmed Star Wars material the rest of this year or 2019? Or is it all open until 2020?
    From
    Terra Australis
    May 16, 2018, 8:24 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5553

Bryancd said: View Post
    Just keep in mind this film was a Gerorge Lucas idea, he wanted this to happen, for what it's worth.
    Its not worth anything. This information came out about a couple of months ago with no more detail than it was probably just a thought bubble from Lucas among dozens of other ideas he had for future projects. Given that and the fact Disney threw out his basic layout for the sequel trilogy and went with their own failing ones, any attempt to lay the straight up money grab that is Solo at his feet are feeble at best.
  4. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    May 16, 2018, 8:27 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5554

alienscollection.com said: View Post
    Is there going to be any additional filmed Star Wars material the rest of this year or 2019? Or is it all open until 2020?
    Episode IX comes out in 2019, and possibly the Kenobi film is filmed in 2019.
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    May 16, 2018, 8:27 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5555

@The Wook , mate you might get a kick out of the Roz Weston review of Solo on YouTube ... may put a smile on your dial !
    Apologies for not being able to post a direct link to it though .
    I swear , while Rian Johnsonís thought processes on making TLJ confounded / frustrated me no end , using computer related stuff is a close second !

Ged
    Last edited by gedmac66; May 16, 2018 at 8:33 PM.
  6. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    May 16, 2018, 8:27 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5556

Mr Webber said: View Post
    Its not worth anything. This information came out about a couple of months ago with no more detail than it was probably just a thought bubble from Lucas among dozens of other ideas he had for future projects. Given that and the fact Disney threw out his basic layout for the sequel trilogy and went with their own failing ones, any attempt to lay the straight up money grab that is Solo at his feet are feeble at best.
    Wrong, he hired Lawrence Kasdan to come in and write the story. Facts matter.
    From
    Terra Australis
    May 16, 2018, 8:29 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5557

How far did it progress?
    From
    Terra Australis
    May 16, 2018, 9:16 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5558

Obviously not very. Lucas probably had Kasdan and others do preliminary work on a lot of his ideas, goes with the territory I would assume. Facts do matter.

- - - Updated - - -

gedmac66 said: View Post
    @The Wook , mate you might get a kick out of the Roz Weston review of Solo on YouTube ... may put a smile on your dial !
    I swear , while Rian Johnson’s thought processes on making TLJ confounded / frustrated me no end , using computer related stuff is a close second !

Ged
    Saw that as well, seems they got the movie title wrong.
  9. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    May 16, 2018, 9:22 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5559

How far did it progress?
    Kasdan was brought in in 2012 by GL and KK to develop the story treatement. He was working on it up through the aquisition by Disney. He was still working on it when the Arendt and GL story for Ep. VII was vacated and JJ asked Larry to help with that. I have posted the links to support this timeline in this thread, feel free to go back and research.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously not very. Lucas probably had Kasdan and others do preliminary work on a lot of his ideas, goes with the territory I would assume. Facts do matter.
    "I would assume" is a poor substitution for "facts".
  10. The Wook is offline The Wook
    May 16, 2018, 9:25 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5560

Kasdan was brought in in 2012 by GL and KK to develop the story treatement. He was working on it up through the aquisition by Disney. He was still working on it when the Arendt and GL story for Ep. VII was vacated and JJ asked Larry to help with that. I have posted the links to support this timeline in this thread, feel free to go back and research.
    For all intents and purposes, LFL became Disney the moment KK was hired. She was sent there by Disney for recon and to facilitate the sale a few months later.
    From
    Terra Australis
    May 16, 2018, 9:25 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5561

So basically it only moved ahead once Disney and Kennedy became involved.
  12. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    May 16, 2018, 9:51 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5562

The Wook said: View Post
    For all intents and purposes, LFL became Disney the moment KK was hired. She was sent there by Disney for recon and to facilitate the sale a few months later.
    She was hired by George. They have a decades long relationship. Go back and check the history.

- - - Updated - - -

So basically it only moved ahead once Disney and Kennedy became involved.
    Actually George used it to sweeten the deal for the sale. He had a sequel trilogy treatment with a viable 7 script, Solo, and the unproductive TV series.
    From
    Terra Australis
    May 16, 2018, 9:52 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5563

I wonder if he regrets that decision now.

Sweeten the deal. please. That sequel trilogy treatment turned out real sour to them fast.

Hopefully that sequel trilogy treatment from Lucas will be leaked.
    Last edited by Mr Webber; May 16, 2018 at 10:01 PM.
    From
    Chicago
    May 16, 2018, 10:00 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5564

A couple billion dollars later, I don't think the sequel trilogy has been sour for LFL OR Disney at all. Maybe for some fans, but this is the Solo thread so I won't get into that.
    From
    Terra Australis
    May 16, 2018, 10:04 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5565

We were talking about Lucas`s original treatment by the way. Not the actual fiasco that is reality.
  16. The Wook is offline The Wook
    May 16, 2018, 11:00 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5566

She was hired by George. They have a decades long relationship. Go back and check the history.
    I know that. It's so funny you think I don't know that. I know that.

giphy.gif

The bottom line is that KK was going to gain full control of Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise/brand, by hook or by crook, to propagate her own aggro-feminist agenda.
    Last edited by The Wook; May 16, 2018 at 11:09 PM.
  17. The Wook is offline The Wook
    May 16, 2018, 11:35 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5567

gedmac66 said: View Post
    I swear , while Rian Johnson’s thought processes on making TLJ confounded / frustrated me no end , using computer related stuff is a close second !

Ged
    Ged 'day, Ged. Just watched it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I hope he's wrong. The film should not be about Chewbacca, it should be about Han Solo.

Plus, much of what I have seen thus far of Chewie has concerned me. I haven't commented on it here, because trailers can be very misleading, and I don't want to get all riled up over something if it's not even going to be in the movie the way it appears it will--or at all, for that matter.

Cheers,

The Wook.
  18. Universal Greeblie RPF Premium Member Jedifyfe's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    May 17, 2018, 12:28 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5568

19. The Wook is offline The Wook
    May 17, 2018, 12:53 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5569

From
    Chicago
    May 17, 2018, 1:11 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5570

I have a feeling that score is bound to get even lower in the coming months.
    From
    Seattle
    May 17, 2018, 1:20 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5571

Wish I could say I was surprised but honestly I've been disappointed since RO,which I complained about over in that thread. but was like hey.. I'll give TFA a shot.. and after getting out of that I realized they weren't interested in making films for who the fans are but who they wanted the fans to be. I passed on the TLJ and the hype train for this movie didn't even pull into the station and from what little I've read, Not going to lie, kind of hoping for another TLJ backlash on this too so I can enjoy some nice schadenfreude while they try to blame everyone else but themselves.

Seems like they refuse to step back and instead just continue to double down because they're right and everyone else is clearly wrong and a bunch of idiots.
    From
    Northern Ireland
    May 17, 2018, 1:45 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5572

As I keep saying, LFL have no plan....."Making it up as I go" George style doesn't work these days,....the audience deserves better

LFL need to talk to Kevin Feige,....at least for some advice

J
  23. The Wook is offline The Wook
    May 17, 2018, 7:28 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5573

CT1138 said: View Post
    I have a feeling that score is bound to get even lower in the coming months.
    I think you're right. This is supposed to be the giddy season.

So the kind of underwhelming reviews they're getting during this honeymoon period, is not where they want to be right now. Because it's only gonna get worse.
    Last edited by The Wook; May 17, 2018 at 11:06 AM.
    May 17, 2018, 7:49 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5574

My dead serious and sincere Star Wars worst to best:

12. TLJ

11. THE Holliday special

10. ewoks: caravan of courage

9. the Ewok movie

8. TFA

7. AOTC

6. TPM

5. ROTS

4. R1

3. ROTJ

2. ESB

1. Star Wars
    Last edited by OldKen; May 17, 2018 at 7:56 AM.
  25. The Wook is offline The Wook
    May 17, 2018, 8:02 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5575

OldKen said: View Post
    My dead serious and sincere Star Wars worst to best:

12. TLJ

11. THE Holliday special

10. ewoks: caravan of courage

9. the Ewok movie

8. TFA

7. AOTC

6. TPM

5. ROTS

4. R1

3. ROTJ

2. ESB

1. Star Wars
    That's a high-SWIQ ranking you got there, OldKen. I'd have ROTS over R1, and maybe Eps 1 and 2 ahead of it, as well. But that's quibbling.

The Wook