Subscribe
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 12:54 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5526

Bryancd said: View Post
    Brief and a hologram. Probably dropped in to potentially feature in a future film.
    Are we sure it's Maul? Is he mentioned by name? If it is a hologram then pretty much any average Zabrak could be mistaken for Darth Maul.

Just a thought. Maul is just one of a species, after all.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 12:56 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5527

Coop said: View Post
    Are we sure it's Maul? Is he mentioned by name? If it is a hologram then pretty much any average Zabrak could be mistaken for Darth Maul.

I’m not sure.
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 1:18 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5528

Thanks, fellas.

The main spoiler I'm seeking is the film's description and handling of the Kessel Run.

* What is the Kessel Run?
    * How is it done in less than 12 parsecs, given parsecs measure distance, not time?
    * Who's piloting the ship when the sub-12 feat is achieved?
    * Is the sub-12 KR accomplished deliberately? In other words, does the pilot set out to do a sub-12 (or otherwise impressive) KR? Or is it accomplished accidentally, during some unrelated mission, or escape from Imperials?

If anyone finds credible answers to any of these questions, I'd appreciate the link.

Thanks!

The Wook
    From
    Chicago
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 1:21 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5529

Coop said: View Post

From what I've heard, the features are modeled after Ray Parker, but he's voiced by Sam Witwer.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 1:24 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5530

CT1138 said: View Post
    From what I've heard, the features are modeled after Ray Parker, but he's voiced by Sam Witwer.
    Realky? I knew about the voice but figured it was the actor as he was at the premiere.
    From
    Chicago
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 1:31 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5531

Not sure of the validity of it, but it's what I heard.
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 2:36 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5532

A 71% is considered "Fresh"? Gotta love left wing thought. A "C" is the new "A" and losing is better than winning because then you can claim victim status. So much potential utterly cast into the void without so much as a thought with these films. Shame.
    From
    Chicago
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 2:40 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5533

Jedi-72 said: View Post
    A 71% is considered "Fresh"? Gotta love left wing thought. A "C" is the new "A" and losing is better than winning because then you can claim victim status. So much potential utterly cast into the void without so much as a thought with these films. Shame.
    >Clearly doesn't understand how aggregating works.
  9. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 3:28 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5534

>Clearly doesn't understand how aggregating works.

Well he definitely understands how "aggravating" works and I would agree
    From
    Chicago
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 3:33 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5535

I have neither the inclination nor the crayons to explain this to you.
    Last edited by CT1138; 3 Days Ago at 3:50 PM.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 3:50 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5536

Also can't resist throwing some politics into it.
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 4:32 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5537

Also can't resist throwing some politics into it.
    You've gotta be kidding. Sorry, but Kathleen Kennedy and Co. launched that ship. Want to criticize bringing politics into it? Then I'm certain you know how to contact Disney and Lfl.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 4:35 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5538

You've gotta be kidding. Sorry, but Kathleen Kennedy and Co. launched that ship. Want to criticize bringing politics into it? Then I'm certain you know how to contact Disney and Lfl.
    This isn't Lucasfilm, its the RPF there is a policy for that.
    From
    Terra Australis
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 5:19 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5539

I`m getting the vibe that this is not going to be the kind of movie that people are going to see multiple times. as its so far behind the eight ball in terms of the massively blown out budget Disney must be very concerned.
    From
    Chicago
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 6:38 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5540

Mr Webber said: View Post
    I`m getting the vibe that this is not going to be the kind of movie that people are going to see multiple times. as its so far behind the eight ball in terms of the massively blown out budget Disney must be very concerned.
    If WE have our reservations, I'm certain Disney has concerns. The fact that this movie has been so massively under marketed shows. As a buddy of mine off site said, Disney is probably prepared for the worst, while hoping for the best
    From
    Northern Ireland
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 6:44 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5541

Over all it’s getting 6.5 out of 10...most reviewers (Sci Fi fans) say it’s good...not great

J
  17. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 6:47 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5542

RT's fresh or rotten rating is a 50/50 up or down thing. Always has been. How that becomes a comment on left wing politics is beyond me.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 6:53 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5543

If WE have our reservations, I'm certain Disney has concerns. The fact that this movie has been so massively under marketed shows. As a buddy of mine off site said, Disney is probably prepared for the worst, while hoping for the best
    I would very much disagree it's under marketed. Since TLJ left theaters they have thrown a decent amount of marketing budget at it, it's become pretty ubiquitous across TV, print media, and online. Keep in mind theses financial costs to Lucasfilm are small and to Disney de minimus. Without question the budget was severely blown out by the change of directors but unless the film stalls at $400M global they will be profitable. There is a inevitability to variation in box office performance for Lucasfilm releases going forward due to the sheer volume of content. Its also worth noting that Lucasfilm as a company is hugely profitable across so many different lines of business beyond the studio. I know some wish Lucasfilm to fail but that is widely unrealistic. Just like Marvel, some films will be great, some ok, some not so good but that;'s only a part of their revenue. This franchise will endure for decades to come regardless of how an one film is received.

- - - Updated - - -

batguy said: View Post
    RT's fresh or rotten rating is a 50/50 up or down thing. Always has been. How that becomes a comment on left wing politics is beyond me.
    Yet here we are.
    Last edited by Bryancd; 3 Days Ago at 7:04 PM.
    From
    Chicago
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 7:05 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5544

I would very much disagree it's under marketed. Since TLJ left theaters they have thrown a decent amount of marketing budget at it, it's become pretty ubiquitous across TV, print media, and online. Without question the budget was severely blown out by the change of directors but unless the film stalls at $400M global they will be profitable.
    I only meant in terms of in comparison to TFA, R1, and TLJ. All of those seemed to have much bigger marketing campaigns than Solo. Not saying there's a conspiracy or anything, but the movie just hasn't gotten nearly as much exposure as any that has come before it. We didn't even get a teaser trailer until February. To put it in perspective, the first teaser for TFA came out 13 months prior to the film, Rogue One's came out 7 months prior to release, and TLJ's came out 14 months prior. Disney's had only 4 months to sell this movie to a nervous post-TLJ audience, many of whom are aware of the the in production troubles this movie has had. If we were marketing this movie like normal, we should have had a teaser out by last Thanksgiving, and the first trailer out with TLJ in theaters. For a Star Wars movie, this has indeed been undersold.

Yet here we are.
    Don't you know? Everything is a liberal conspiracy! Global Warming, racism, Star Wars, puberty.
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 7:06 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5545

Psab keel said: View Post
    They could just try making movies that have nothing to do with any characters that we already know and about events that have nothing to do with anything we've seen before. Set in the same universe but a different time or place and with new characters and nothing to do with the rebellion/ empire conflict.

We already knew that Rogue One would end with the characters succeeding in getting the plans for the first Death Star. We already knew that Anakin turned to the dark side in the prequel trilogy. I just gave everyone the essential synopsis to Solo. Since we know the end to each of these stories then they aren't really adding anything substantial to the mythos. That's 5 movies where we already knew the end.
    Can't like this enough, been saying it for years. We haven't gotten a "new" Star Wars movie since the OT, it's like nobody has any faith in this franchise to stand on it's own without these characters.
    From
    Chicago
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 7:08 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5546

By that logic, doesn't that mean that we technically haven't gotten a "new" Star Wars movie since 1977? I mean, ESB and RotJ both used recurring characters too.
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 7:09 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5547

By that logic, doesn't that mean that we technically haven't gotten a "new" Star Wars movie since 1977? I mean, ESB and RotJ both used recurring characters too.
    Absolutely, they were the continuation of a trilogy, an extension of the first film.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 7:12 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5548

I only meant in terms of in comparison to TFA, R1, and TLJ. All of those seemed to have much bigger marketing campaigns than Solo. Not saying there's a conspiracy or anything, but the movie just hasn't gotten nearly as much exposure as any that has come before it. We didn't even get a teaser trailer until February. To put it in perspective, the first teaser for TFA came out 13 months prior to the film, Rogue One's came out 7 months prior to release, and TLJ's came out 14 months prior. Disney's had only 4 months to sell this movie to a nervous post-TLJ audience, many of whom are aware of the the in production troubles this movie has had. If we were marketing this movie like normal, we should have had a teaser out by last Thanksgiving, and the first trailer out with TLJ in theaters. For a Star Wars movie, this has indeed been undersold.
    Yeah but the difference being they have NEVER released two films in such close proximity. TLJ was still in theaters at the start of Feb. It was always going to be the case they would wait until they cleared that deck before even beginning the Solo campaign in earnest.

- - - Updated - - -

Grey said: View Post
    Can't like this enough, been saying it for years. We haven't gotten a "new" Star Wars movie since the OT, it's like nobody has any faith in this franchise to stand on it's own without these characters.
    Oh, also inevitable. 20 years from now Star Wars will be entirely unrecognizable in terms of characters to what we know today.
    From
    Annapolis MD
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 7:17 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5549

I hear we finally...
    see Chewie rip a guys arms out of their sockets. An anonymous guard in an elevator
    From
    Chicago
    3 Days Ago  May 16, 2018, 7:17 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #5550

Yeah but the difference being they have NEVER released two films in such close proximity. TLJ was still in theaters at the start of Feb. It was always going to be the case they would wait until they cleared that deck before even beginning the Solo campaign in earnest.
    They still could have done it. It would have been odd to see a SW trailer in front of a SW movie, but that's really what they should have done. This movie could use all the positive press it can get, and frankly, it's just not getting it. I love Han Solo. I cried like a baby when they killed off his character in TFA, but I my interest in this movie is nearly nonexistent. I have a piqued curiosity, not much else. I should be hyped as Hell for this movie, but I'm not.