Solo: A Star Wars Story

"I have a nephew who lives around here". Character's name is Aaron Davis. In the comics, that's the name of Miles Morales' uncle, who Miles admires and spends a lot of time with (not knowing his uncle's a career criminal). In the comics, it's at his uncle's house that Miles gets bit and acquires his powers. On top of that, Donald Glover was one of the inspirations for Miles Morales, and Brian Michael Bendis -- who co-created Miles Morales -- started a campaign to get Glover an audition when Sony last re-booted Spider-Man. So he's heavily involved. I was happy enough to see him finally in a Spider-Man film because of this, and while he isn't actually playing Miles Morales, I get that he's kinda too old now to play a teenager.

It's a bit meta, kinda like the guy who played the Flash in the '90s series playing the father of Barry Allen in the new series. And I expect this is Marvel's way of making sure they get to keep having a Spider-Man in the MCU after the rights package that includes Peter Parker reverts to Sony. I expect Miles to be part of the next generation of heroes in Marvel's universe-building, along with Sharon Carter and Cassie Lang.

Now back to waiting for more info for Solo...

--Jonah

Why are their first names on the posters except Solo? Maybe, even LFL don't see him as Han.

1. The movie is called Solo....
2. Chewie doesn't have a last name
3. Calrissian is too big for the style
4. The female characters is probably referred to in the flick by her first name 99% of the time.

1. The movie is called Solo....
2. Chewie doesn't have a last name
3. Calrissian is too big for the style
4. The female characters is probably referred to in the flick by her first name 99% of the time.

Yeah....I know. I was just being flippant. :unsure

"I have a nephew who lives around here". Character's name is Aaron Davis. In the comics, that's the name of Miles Morales' uncle, who Miles admires and spends a lot of time with (not knowing his uncle's a career criminal). In the comics, it's at his uncle's house that Miles gets bit and acquires his powers. On top of that, Donald Glover was one of the inspirations for Miles Morales, and Brian Michael Bendis -- who co-created Miles Morales -- started a campaign to get Glover an audition when Sony last re-booted Spider-Man. So he's heavily involved. I was happy enough to see him finally in a Spider-Man film because of this, and while he isn't actually playing Miles Morales, I get that he's kinda too old now to play a teenager.

It's a bit meta, kinda like the guy who played the Flash in the '90s series playing the father of Barry Allen in the new series. And I expect this is Marvel's way of making sure they get to keep having a Spider-Man in the MCU after the rights package that includes Peter Parker reverts to Sony. I expect Miles to be part of the next generation of heroes in Marvel's universe-building, along with Sharon Carter and Cassie Lang.

Now back to waiting for more info for Solo...

--Jonah
Thanks for the detail!

I'm a fan of Ultimate Spiderman (Miles Morales) but haven't read the book in a long time. I got issues 1-100 collected. The first 10 issues or so are in a tpb. But still a nice collection.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Disney will pay and we won't hear another thing about it...

Quite possibly. Although as someone noted, it's possible the appropriate rights were already obtained from the rights-holder (read: NOT the artist, who likely created the work under contract and so does not own the rights and is not on the list of "people we need to consult")

That said, I sure hope the rights were obtained, because I feel bad for the people at the agency who created this poster series, if not. There are good people there.

If that was supposed to be funny, it was absolutely terrible. How could they see any of that effort being funny at all? SNL sorely needs a new group of writers.

On the subject of the artwork, I'm not sure if there will be much legal trouble on this, but that they'll just get noted for being unoriginal in this case. You can copyright a character and name, but I don't think you can copyright an illustration arrangement. At best I think it will be copying someone's design layout, but I don't know how you can get sued for re-creating a look and making the internal elements your own. You see stuff like this in spoofs all the time.

They definitely didn't have any originality in creating the posters if anything else, but I don't see Disney paying out money for something that technically isn't ripping off any of the direct original album artwork other than how it was laid out. The artist should be canned, though.

Last edited:
If that was supposed to be funny, it was absolutely terrible. How could they see any of that effort being funny at all? SNL sorely needs a new group of writers.

On the subject of the artwork, I'm not sure if there will be much legal trouble on this, but that they'll just get noted for being unoriginal in this case. You can copyright a character and name, but I don't think you can copyright an illustration arrangement. At best I think it will be copying someone's design layout, but I don't know how you can get sued for re-creating a look and making the internal elements your own. You see stuff like this in spoofs all the time.

They definitely didn't have any originality in creating the posters if anything else, but I don't see Disney paying out money for something that technically isn't ripping off any of the direct original album artwork other than how it was laid out. The artist should be canned, though.

You'd be surprised how it works. I don't work at the agency that created that poster series, but quite often they're creating what the client asks for. If the client says "make it like this" and gives that art as an example, the agency complies with the client's request. Many times, the artist will simply come up with something "loosely inpsired by", and the client will say "no, more like THIS!" and a few rounds later you end up with nearly an exact copy. I've watched it happen.

It IS possible that the artist in question simply found that as a reference and copied it too closely, and the Disney rep was unaware, but chose that design. But it's equally possible, in fact, generally more likely, that the client gave the direction and the agency simply delivered what was requested. And now that it's blown up a bit, Disney is like "Hey, it wasn't us, we used an outside agency!"

From ten feet away he was pulling it off. They should of had the Ingruber kid play it just to rub salt in Disneys wound.

Ingruber looks and sounds like Ford but i dont know if hes that good of an actor.
Hes done a couple of SW and Indiana Jones scenes on youtube but its hard to tell if he could carry a movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrightenedBoldAmmonite-size_restricted.gif

L337 as well. SMH

Dear god, SW story group or whatever, just STOP with the pop culture references! I didn't need Beastie Boys showing up in any form, and I don't need this.

(And I don't even dislike Duran Duran)

L337 as well. SMH

Dear god, SW story group or whatever, just STOP with the pop culture references! I didn't need Beastie Boys showing up in any form, and I don't need this.

(And I don't even dislike Duran Duran)

Please, all these references are so subtle and easily missed unlike the Trek films.

Ehrenreich's face looks like bad CGI. This trailer is like a train wreck. It's entertaining in the worst possible way. There's something appealing about being witness to a disaster.

Talk about a WTF statement! How can Ehrenreich's face look like CGI? How can a trailer that doesn't reveal all that much be a train wreck? Your brain must be frozen up there in Vermont.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back