Solo: A Star Wars Story

Well, I've got a buddy with a super high SWIQ (in many respects, equal to my own, if you can believe that), who's not on the RPF, but who I talk Star Wars with all the time. He's pointed out to me something I missed in this new Japanese trailer. The voice dubbing for Alden has begun...but NOT in Japanese, in ENGLISH.

In the top trailer, the American one that was released the day after the Super Bowl, listen to Alden say, "Get ready.". And then listen to the line in the new Japanese trailer, and tell me if they sound different to you. Of course they do. They (Disney? The Japanese? The Freemasons??) got a voice over actor to dub that line over Alden's weak, high-pitched, shrill delivery of it.

Check it out. :lol

The Wook

It’s pitched down but still sounds like all the other dialogue he says which is the same in both trailers. Since they are still editing it’s also possible an alternative take is now being used for that sequence where he says the line somewhat differently. If they were going to over dub him why just those two words?

All we have to do is get Harrison Ford to dub the voice and where half-way there. Now what to do about that face?

There will be fan edits with the face replaced using an updated version of Deepfake's FakeApp and the voice replaced with voice cloning technology like Baidu Research's Deep Voice neural voice cloning. A crude face replacement version has already been generated of the trailer footage and posted on Youtube.

It’s pitched down but still sounds like all the other dialogue he says which is the same in both trailers. Since they are still editing it’s also possible an alternative take is now being used for that sequence where he says the line somewhat differently. If they were going to over dub him why just those two words?

Doesn't sound like him to me.

There will be fan edits with the face replaced using an updated version of Deepfake's FakeApp and the voice replaced with voice cloning technology like Baidu Research's Deep Voice neural voice cloning. A crude face replacement version has already been generated of the trailer footage and posted on Youtube.

How 'bout a link for that?

And won't the Mouse shut down such a fan edit?

Anyone see Donald Glover on Colbert last night? It was a full piece (not just a pop-in thing), and unless I missed it, there was absolutely no mention of SOLO at all. Kinda weird?

How 'bout a link for that?

And won't the Mouse shut down such a fan edit?

Probably, but it will survive somewhere on the internet if it is any good.

Your link, as requested.

https://youtu.be/zERvVZXoaSA

Solo2.jpg

Solo.jpg

Last edited:

What is that voice cloning program? Has it been used in any movies, to date? Where have you heard it?

Probably, but it will survive somewhere on the internet if it is any good.

Your link, as requested.

https://youtu.be/zERvVZXoaSA

View attachment 799284

View attachment 799281

Thanks!

The Wook

What is that voice cloning program? Has it been used in any movies, to date? Where have you heard it?

Thanks!

The Wook

There are several programs in development but as far as I know, none have been used to edit a movie. It is still early days for voice cloning examples, but they exist on youtube. I'll look for a link later and update this post.

Update: May 2017 article about Lyrebird, Adobe Voco and Google WaveNet
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-ai-tech-can-mimic-any-voice/

February 2018 article on Baidu's voice cloning.
https://thenextweb.com/artificial-i...ice-and-give-it-a-different-gender-or-accent/

Last edited:
Just watched it. Not a word. Hmmm...

Even beyond hmmmm

Like WTF???!!! are you kidding me?
The man is playing freekin' Lando Calrissian in a Star Wars movie and not a word?

Conspiracy hats on......
Is there an industry buzz it's going to suck and they are intentionally avoiding the 800lb gorilla in the room?

Even beyond hmmmm

Like WTF???!!! are you kidding me?
The man is playing freekin' Lando Calrissian in a Star Wars movie and not a word?

Conspiracy hats on......
Is there an industry buzz it's going to suck and they are intentionally avoiding the 800lb gorilla in the room?

This bizarre omission from Glover, on top of Howard saying, "Ya know, It's really hard to come into a production mid-stream.", and Woody saying, 'Well, the film's not gonna be epic.", surely is pointing to them anticipating this film will go over like a lead balloon.

The Wook

So how much over budget do we think this thing has gone?

They had to pay out two directors and then pay an A grade new one to try and clean up the mess and re shoot up to 80% of the entire movie. With China totally out of the equation I`d hate to be the one who has to face the Board and major shareholders when that time comes.

So how much over budget do we think this thing has gone?

They had to pay out two directors and then pay an A grade new one to try and clean up the mess and re shoot up to 80% of the entire movie. With China totally out of the equation I`d hate to be the one who has to face the Board and major shareholders when that time comes.

If if only there was someone here who could break down the numbers for us. ;)

Just watched it. Not a word. Hmmm...

Didn't see it myself... What was he promoting? The new season of "Atlanta"? The network that produces that may not want him pushing another studio's product. Or maybe it's the standard veil of secrecy that's descended around SW movies, that's more about story than production issues. Or not.

There are several programs in development but as far as I know, none have been used to edit a movie. It is still early days for voice cloning examples, but they exist on youtube. I'll look for a link later and update this post.

Update: May 2017 article about Lyrebird, Adobe Voco and Google WaveNet
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-ai-tech-can-mimic-any-voice/

February 2018 article on Baidu's voice cloning.
https://thenextweb.com/artificial-i...ice-and-give-it-a-different-gender-or-accent/

Could that be used to re-create the infamous voice of the classic Cylons, too?

Didn't see it myself... What was he promoting? The new season of "Atlanta"? The network that produces that may not want him pushing another studio's product. Or maybe it's the standard veil of secrecy that's descended around SW movies, that's more about story than production issues. Or not.

I think that was it. They did show a clip of something.

You can criticize his voice, his presence, his height etc, but at least give the guy a chance. We've seen all of 10 seconds of his performance. There was always going to be a degree of looking the other way with this. It's NOT Harrison Ford any more. You're just going to have to deal with that.

This. Heck, even Harrison Ford is "NOT Harrison Ford any more". While there were a few here-and-there glimmers of the original "Ford" in TFA. much of his performance in that film bore no resemblance to the OT Han Solo (I'm looking at you, early scenes on the Falcon, talking to Rey outside the ship on Takodana.) And that had zero do with the writing, but rather how the actor had changed and how his approach to the role had changed, (Same for Leia throughout both films - I still see barely any aspects of the performance that I can recognize as "Leia" from any of the OT films). Alden's performance is no more - or less - a reinterpretation of "Solo" than Ford's was.

M

This. Heck, even Harrison Ford is "NOT Harrison Ford any more". While there were a few here-and-there glimmers of the original "Ford" in TFA. much of his performance in that film bore no resemblance to the OT Han Solo (I'm looking at you, early scenes on the Falcon, talking to Rey outside the ship on Takodana.) And that had zero do with the writing, but rather how the actor had changed and how his approach to the role had changed, (Same for Leia throughout both films - I still see barely any aspects of the performance that I can recognize as "Leia" from any of the OT films). Alden's performance is no more - or less - a reinterpretation of "Solo" than Ford's was.

M

I agree, 100%.

But, in this new film, they had the unique opportunity to cast an actor who bears an uncanny resemblance to a young Ford, in face, voice and build/height. An actor who had already played a young Ford in a feature film, starring Harrison Ford. The universe presented KK with this extraordinary prize offering, gift-wrapped on a silver platter, but she turned her nose up at it, because her buddy Spielberg called her up and said, "Kathleen, I was at a bat mitzvah and found your young Han Solo.".

It is the most egregious and disgraceful example of nepotism I've ever seen.

Open this photo. This is what could have been. This is what should have been.

https://goo.gl/images/CjV8St

The Wook

Last edited:
I agree, 100%.

But, in this new film, they had the unique opportunity to cast an actor who bears an uncanny resemblance to a young Ford, in face, voice and build/height. An actor who had already played a young Ford in a feature film, starring Harrison Ford. The universe presented KK with this extraordinary gift, but she had no interest, because Spielberg called her up and said, "Kathleen, I was at a bat mitzvah and found your young Han Solo.".

It is the most egregious and disgraceful example of nepotism I've ever seen.

This is what could have been. This is what should have been.

https://goo.gl/images/CjV8St

The Wook

Yeah, I just don’t know enough about that bar mitzvah story to offer an opinion as to whether it’s nepotism or not. But my only point was “finding a guy at a bar mitzvah and thinking he’d be perfect for Solo” isn’t a big change over what they did for TFA - which was “we found this really grumpy-ass old dude and think he’d be perfect for Solo.”

I’ll say in all candor that I don’t have any enthusiasm for this film (which surprises my significant other, as she thought it would be right up my alley.) But it’s not because of Alden playing the role – I just think the entire exercise is a bit unnecessary. Would I see a “young Solo” film if they were magically able to use 1980-era Ford? Sure. And would I see an “old Solo” film starring current Ford? Sure, again – because old grumpy Harrison Ford is still “Harrison Ford” and it’s not like he’s gonna be around forever. But if you don’t have that magic element - even if you fill it with the best impersonator ever – it just doesn’t hold much interest for me personally, and seems pointless to try to reinvent the wheel on the character.

(Similar idea – certain bands I love are still out there touring - but with some personnel changes. Even where it's just the replacement of a bass player or other "less recognizable" front-line member, it's no longer the same band to me, and now equivalent to a cover band in my mind. Take Queen – easily one of my favorite bands, and Brian May is the guitarist who most inspired my own playing. They’ve toured the U.S. with various singers multiple times in the past decade – never once did I have even the slightest urge to buy a ticket.)

M

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I just don’t know enough about that bar mitzvah story to offer an opinion as to whether it’s nepotism or not. But my only point was “finding a guy at a bar mitzvah and thinking he’d be perfect for Solo” isn’t a big change over what they did for TFA - which was “we found this really grumpy-ass old dude and think he’d be perfect for Solo.”

I’ll say in all candor that I don’t have any enthusiasm for this film (which surprises my significant other, as she thought it would be right up my alley.) But it’s not because of Alden playing the role – I just think the entire exercise is a bit unnecessary. Would I see a “young Solo” film if they were magically able to use 1980-era Ford? Sure. And would I see an “old Solo” film starring current Ford? Sure, again – because old grumpy Harrison Form is still “Harrison Ford” and it’s not like he’s gonna be around forever. But if you don’t have that magic element - even if you fill it with the best impersonator ever – it just doesn’t hold much interest for me personally, and seems pointless to try to reinvent the wheel on the character.

(Similar idea – certain bands I love are still out there touring - but with some personnel changes. Even where it's just the replacement of a bass player or other "less recognizable" front-line member, it's no longer the same band to me, and now equivalent to a cover band in my mind. Take Queen – easily one of my favorite bands, and Brian May is the guitarist who most inspired my own playing. They’ve toured the U.S. with various singers multiple times in the past decade – never once did I have even the slightest urge to buy a ticket.)

M

I love a great cover band. I saw the Jason Bonham band play a bar here in Whale's Vagina some years ago, and when I closed my eyes, I felt like I was at a Zeppelin concert in the '70s. Were they perfect? No. But they were great--and given I was not old enough to see the real Led Zeppelin live, it was a very special evening.

Solo could've been a very special film. If they'd have just cast the right guy.

The Wook

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back