Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

That's my thoughts exactly. Unless they get someone that all the fans will immediately say "That's Han Solo" it's going to be awful.

Totally agree. There are just so many possibilities with this Anthology format that they could've quite easily avoided this can of worms...With Han Solo being such a beloved character, there are just way too many ways this can go horribly wrong. It will be quite a feat if this turns out decently.

I'd rather see tales of characters we have never seen before. I thought that was what this Anthology series would be, not delving into origin stories of existing characters.

Last edited:

I'd watch a SW movie if it was just Palpatine reading the Tatooine phone book, but my issue with this is that by the end of the film, he has to be a selfish jerk.

A B.A. jerk, but a jerk nonetheless.

We could end up with one of the same complaints about the PT. We all knew how Vader ended up, but some folks didn't like the way he got there.

Did anybody see that life of adeline or whatever it's called movie with Ingruber ? Was he good ? Because yeah he looks like Ford, but I'd rather have a talented actor that looks less like Ford than a sosie with mediocre acting skills.

Yup, good movie. Anthony looked and sounded just like a young Harrison. But he appeared in the film in flashbacks which contained only a few lines of dialogue and only like one close-up of his face. So it was not much to judge him by. I hope he can indeed act, because if he can and he lands the role, I expect he'll be awesome. Here's a screencap of his close-up in the film.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/17/d3/a4/17d3a4c196df1cbc0e5e791b4316bd8e.jpg

The Wook

This is essentially an origin film. Why do we need origin films? Didn't Disney learn anything from the prequels? This Han Solo movie has the potential to be either really awesome or really awful. Next thing we'll see is a Yoda origin movie. Now that would be truly awful. What makes these characters so wonderful is that they have a bit of mystery to them. Not everything about them is told. We as an audience infer depth to them which gives them their richness. If we are told everything it makes them less powerful.

I just don't see this turning out well. The star wars universe is enormous. Why not tell a story about characters not tied to ANY of the principles? I thought that was the point of these anthology films. To explore areas we haven't seem yet. Rogue One sounds pretty awesome and is not going to rely on the Jedi or lightsaber battles. A gritty war film set in the galaxy far far away. That sounds pretty great to me. I'd like to see them make more anthology films like that. Take risks. A Han Solo origin movie is playing it too safe to my mind.

wonder if this movie will explain the boba feet solo connection?

Totally agree. There are just so many possibilities with this Anthology format that they could've quite easily avoided this can of worms...With Han Solo being such a beloved character, there are just way too many ways this can go horribly wrong. It will be quite a feat if this turns out decently.

I'd rather see tales of characters we have never seen before. I thought that was what this Anthology series would be, not delving into origin stories of existing characters.

They seem to be doing just that with Rogue One.

Wow....lots of good choices. The directors have already worked with Pratt on The Lego Movie so thats gonna work well for him. This Anthony kid.....never heard of him before seeing his impersonations earlier in this thread. Put a scar on his chin and he could play Ford all day long. Star Wars is known for casting lesser known actors, so that will bode well for Anthony. Pratt might be too big at this point, but he has a huge 'likeable' factor.

For a brief second I though about Nathon Fillian. I get a kick out of his acting........maybe put him in an Uncharted franchise.

Speaking of scars....is there a story about Solos chin scar? It would be kinda cool if he got it rescuing Chewie.

Wow....lots of good choices. The directors have already worked with Pratt on The Lego Movie so thats gonna work well for him. This Anthony kid.....never heard of him before seeing his impersonations earlier in this thread. Put a scar on his chin and he could play Ford all day long. Star Wars is known for casting lesser known actors, so that will bode well for Anthony. Pratt might be too big at this point, but he has a huge 'likeable' factor.

For a brief second I though about Nathon Fillian. I get a kick out of his acting........maybe put him in an Uncharted franchise.

Speaking of scars....is there a story about Solos chin scar? It would be kinda cool if he got it rescuing Chewie.

I don't think that the Anthony kid would necessarily be a good choice, at least not based on his impersonations alone. Just because he's good at impersonation Harrison Ford as Han Solo does not necessarily mean that he can act. If the Han Solo movie was to be nothing but a rehash of all of Harrison Ford's lines and scenes from the OT then this kid would be a shoe in, but it won't, it's going to have all new lines in all new scenes and the kid would have to come up with his own readings and reactions of them instead of simply imitating what Harrison Ford did. It's sort of like saying that someone who is awesome at copying the works of the Masters is a great artist in their own right and can create original works of their own as good as the Masters.

I don't think that the Anthony kid would necessarily be a good choice, at least not based on his impersonations alone. Just because he's good at impersonation Harrison Ford as Han Solo does not necessarily mean that he can act. If the Han Solo movie was to be nothing but a rehash of all of Harrison Ford's lines and scenes from the OT then this kid would be a shoe in, but it won't, it's going to have all new lines in all new scenes and the kid would have to come up with his own readings and reactions of them instead of simply imitating what Harrison Ford did. It's sort of like saying that someone who is awesome at copying the works of the Masters is a great artist in their own right and can create original works of their own as good as the Masters.

I get what you are saying and agree. But, he has had steady acting work according to his IMDB account. Ill get flamed for this but, SW isnt know for its in depth acting.

Riceball, I guess you didn't even read that he had film work and was actually the young version of Ford in movie Age of Adeline. Chris Pratt is already older than Han was in ANH. For continuity Anthony is the best candidate other than a time machine to get get a younger Ford. Anthony should at least be given a screen test.

I love Chris Pratt a ton for his work. That being said, I would rather Pratt not be considered for Han Solo. I'd much rather give that to Anthony as well.

I think there is little chance this film takes place during the OT or after and that would make Pratt too old. He'd be great for an Indy reboot, though.

I was just thinking today that if they show when he gets the Falcon, which I don't know why they wouldn't, they would also have to find a young Lando. So you have two very iconic personalities that they're going to have to try to recreate with younger actors.

That's my thoughts exactly. Unless they get someone that all the fans will immediately say "That's Han Solo" it's going to be awful.

You mean like the X-Men fans did with the casting of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I went with a friend to see X-Men. He grumbled all the way. THEN the claws came out and he looked at me and said "Holy SH-- that's F-ing Wolverine". As always give whoever they cast a chance before hurling invectives about it.

Maybe it will be obvious before the movie or maybe it will become obvious during it. But either way it has to be the right actor. The whole project hinges on it.

I also vote that Han Solo origins/movies are an iffy idea period.

Why can't they make a decent Wolverine movie? It's at least partly because Logan works better as a side character than the primary. Some comparisons could be made between Wolverine's role in the first couple of X-Men movies and Han Solo in ANH & ESB.

Ingruber for Solo and Indy. Mark my words.

Reel

mark-hamill-2011.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider your words Mark'd.

The nice thing about them doing a Han Solo "prequel" is that the Han Solo we all know and love was probably a bit different as a young man. I'm definitely on the Ingruber train because even though he can do a decent impression, he won't have to (if he got the part). If you think Han in ANH was cocky and a bit ruthless, what was he like 10 years or so before that? There's plenty of space for a young actor to do their version of Han Solo without having to do an impression of the older version. Just have to throw in the little things that make Solo so appealing to everyone and build around that.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back