Solo: A Star Wars Story

Han in Rotj... did he consider stabbing his nephew in the back while he sleeps? That was the biggest coward move of ANY hero from ANY movie I’ve ever seen.

Hey, I'm with you there. I was taken aback with how Luke wasn't painted as feeling more contrite regarding what happened with Ben. If nothing else, since his whole thing at the end was about delaying the FO, why not really fall on the sword and engage Ben with more than just a cliché "I failed you Ben", or whatever he says, before some likely inevitable duel. Luke owed him more than that. Luke was such a b!tch by the end of that movie, I'd just as soon Ben actually took him down.

These guys look nothing like each other...

View attachment 794368

...yet, life goes on.

actually they do look vaguely alike. both have similar facial features, a lot more than Alden and Ford have.

Alden has more features in common with Ray Liotta than Harrison Ford.

Like someone said, that was a recasting based on necessity rather than choice.

Disney had the whole world to choose someone who looks vaguely similar to Ford, but decided to go with the person who Spielberg met at a Bar mitsvah, and who has no resemblance to Ford whatsoever.

It doesn't look like a decision based on making the best movie possible for audiences, because if it was, on looks alone, any competent casting director would throw out Alden at the first sight and give him a villian role or something else.

The objective is surely to find someone who looks similar to Ford, otherwise whats the point of the movie? If they have exhausted all possibilities and cannot find anyone suitable, then by all means, go with who they want, but it looks like they didn't try hard enough to be honest.

It isn't as though Daisy Ridley or Kelly Marie Tran or John Boyega are acting powerhouses, so let's not kid ourselves that Star Wars is some franchise that requires Juliard school acting training, when in fact most cast members were unknown. Seems like people like to revise history by talking as though these movies somehow are the peak of acting prowess, in fact far from it. The cheesiness of Star Wars is what gave its charm all those years ago. Even Alec Guiness felt the movies were beneath his talent, so let's not kid ourselves that a fantastic actor was required for this.

Any competent actor who looked, sounded and could bring a version of Han solo on screen would be good enough, but when your chosen actor is more like Goodfellas Ray Liotta than Harrison Ford, then you are just being a bit stupid to be honest.

No wonder Mark Hamill despises the current movies and execs, even he can't stand the way they turned his character into a brooding coward hiding in a cave.

I could even say, why even bother doing a CGI Tarkin or Leia, why not just grab some old codger and let him play the Tarkin part?

Since it seems when it comes to Han Solo, nobody cares if the person even looks like the original actor, then they should have just got any girl to play Leia at the end of Rogue One also. A waste of money really.

Last edited:
Someone else said this, and i agree, that Alden looks more like Ray Liotta than Harrison Ford.

View attachment 794344

View attachment 794345

Whereas here is Ingruber with Ford side by side.
Not sure what Disney was thinking, but it certainly wasn't thinking about giving a more familiar look to Han Solo by choosing Alden, with the aim of making you actually believe the actor is a younger version.

View attachment 794346

let's see what Ronnnie Howard has salvaged from this movie.

This is STILL an issue?
Boy, no matter how many times I explain this people bury their heads in the sand and pout like children because Inbooger didn't get cast.
*sigh* Look, it's NOT about looking like Ford. It's about keeping the spirit of Han Solo alive. The SPIRIT, not a cheap imitation. Think of it as a reboot of the character. Look, Ford will never play Solo again. Embrace it, accept it, love it. If you don't and refuse to let go of the past, well frankly that's your problem. Get over it in your time. Please don't come here pissing on our parade because you're having a hard time letting go. This is a new beginning to the character with a different actor. He may actually pull it off a do a good job. How about giving it a chance.

actually they do look vaguely alike. both have similar facial features, a lot more than Alden and Ford have.

Disney had the whole world to choose someone who looks vaguely similar to Ford, but decided to go with the person who Spielberg met at a Bar mitsvah, and who has no resemblance to Ford whatsoever.

It doesn't look like a decision based on making the best movie possible for audiences, because if it was, on looks alone, any competent casting director would throw out Alden at the first sight and give him a villian role or something else.

The objective is surely to find someone who looks similar to Ford, otherwise whats the point of the movie? If they have exhausted all possibilities and cannot find anyone suitable, then by all means, go with who they want, but it looks like they didn't try hard enough to be honest.

It isn't as though Daisy Ridley or Kelly Marie Tran or John Boyega are acting powerhouses, so let's not kid ourselves that Star Wars is some franchise that requires Juliard school acting training, when in fact most cast members were unknown. Seems like people like to revise history by talking as though these movies somehow are the peak of acting prowess, in fact far from it. The cheesiness of Star Wars is what gave its charm all those years ago. Even Alec Guiness felt the movies were beneath his talent, so let's not kid ourselves that a fantastic actor was required for this.

Any competent actor who looked, sounded and could bring a version of Han solo on screen would be good enough, but when your chosen actor is more like Goodfellas Ray Liotta than Harrison Ford, then you are just being a bit stupid to be honest.

No wonder Mark Hamill despises the current movies and execs, even he can't stand the way they turned his character into a brooding coward hiding in a cave.

I could even say, why even bother doing a CGI Tarkin or Leia, why not just grab some old codger and let him play the Tarkin part?

Since it seems when it comes to Han Solo, nobody cares if the person even looks like the original actor, then they should have just got any girl to play Leia at the end of Rogue One also. A waste of money really.
Good points.

With R1, this was the first Star Wars spinoff attempt and connecting those characters (Tarkin and Leia) to the original actors (RIP) was somewhat more key. Many audience members were clueless on the CGI use here, for others it was somewhat debatable yet accepting.

With SOLO there is a almost clean slate for a "sorta" reboot with actors. As others mentioned, the performance is more key than the facial recognition of actors.

All Hollywood is an illusion. Just has to be a good illusion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't think that they look alike. They definitely didn't act alike. Dick York played the character as a goofy sort of guy whereas Dick Sargent played the role as a straight man (there's a joke in there somewhere).

I get that you aren't happy about the decision to cast Alden Whateverhisnameis. I'm withholding judgment until I see the movie. Many on the internet act like this decision has ruined their lives. If that is really the case, they really need to reevaluate things. It really is not that important.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure do hope that we get Boba Fett in this movie! It'd be so damn cool!

For heavens sake, I hope that he looks like he did before. The internet's head may explode otherwise. :wacko

...I don't even know if its about the SPIRIT of Han Solo...
...All I need to see is a journey where AT THE END we can see glimpses of the Han we know in episode IV...
... I have NO difficulty whatsoever suspending disbelief that Alden is Han Solo, and I find it quite surprising that people are so hung up on this, just like I had no problem accepting River Phoenix as Indiana Jones...
...Even from the tiny amount we saw in the trailer I loved the nuances in his performance, especially the look of dread after his little chuckle at Q'ira's statement of 'knowing what he really is'...

Last edited:
Probably not coincidental...

Attachments

• 309FD3AA-A210-4632-A6B1-2FEC6DA88D0F.jpeg
    309FD3AA-A210-4632-A6B1-2FEC6DA88D0F.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 261
From the EW article: "They [Lord & Miller] are comedy masterminds who made The LEGO Movie, the 21 Jump Street films..."

Masterminds? :behave

From the EW article: "They [Lord & Miller] are comedy masterminds who made The LEGO Movie, the 21 Jump Street films..."

Masterminds? :behave

Maybe. Take a look at their credits. I know its not super long, but they've been pretty damn successful and most of their movies and tv shows (in which they wrote and/or directed) have been well received by audiences and critics alike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Lord_and_Christopher_Miller

This is STILL an issue?
Boy, no matter how many times I explain this people bury their heads in the sand and pout like children because Inbooger didn't get cast.
*sigh* Look, it's NOT about looking like Ford. It's about keeping the spirit of Han Solo alive. The SPIRIT, not a cheap imitation. Think of it as a reboot of the character. Look, Ford will never play Solo again. Embrace it, accept it, love it. If you don't and refuse to let go of the past, well frankly that's your problem. Get over it in your time. Please don't come here pissing on our parade because you're having a hard time letting go. This is a new beginning to the character with a different actor. He may actually pull it off a do a good job. How about giving it a chance.

Actually it doesnt matter to me that much, i'm mainly interested in Disney's reasons for casting,
but it does matter to many of the audience who this movie is aimed at since they are the die hard fans.
Everyone is banging on about the "spirit" of Solo.
Capturing the spirit however means having an actor who at least somewhat remotely resembles the original character, can do similar expressions and mannerisms. It doesn't take a sherlock to work that out :) Its basic acting method.
If i see a Harrison Ford performance, and then see a supposed younger version of him played by someone else, I would at least expect a visual similarity, and voice match that doesn't take me out of the movie. Let's see if Alden is the acting God everyone is proclaiming him to be.

BTW No ones pissing on anyone's parade. If you feel like someone is pissing on your parade, well im afraid you lot need to get over it, just because people don't agree with your opinions.

I didn't pay to watch the previous 3 star wars films, so i'm not too fussed anyway :)

Yes, let's wait and see what Ronnie Howard has salvaged.

Question for those who are struggling with Alden not resembling Han. Do you feel the same way about Glover not resembling Lando? General observation from my social media feed and podcast conversations people seem really excited about Glover as Lando and we haven’t even heard him deliver any dialogue as of yet. It’s a curious bifurcation of responses to what should be a similar issue.

It's not just physical resemblance. No matter how different they look Glover comes off as a friendly and likable person, like Williams. I could believe Glover as a young Lando due to that. Also, Glover is a reliable performer otherwise...no real reason to think he'll do poorly.

AE has nothing of Ford's affability. And, consequently, neither will his Han Solo. Also, he needed an acting coach to teach him how to act. Something that a lot of people are just sweeping under the rug.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back