Subscribe
    Apr 9, 2018, 8:01 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4751

TheMechanic said: View Post
    it looks like a live action cartoon with all the cleverness and appeal of a candy coated dog turd.
    Unfortunately, I think that is the point.
    It is not meant for original Star Wars fans and I suspect the Han shot first acolytes.

This is intended for younger viewers and while Star Wars required less thought than Star Trek... neither franchise requires any thought now a days since they have been reduced to a linear series of flash bangs.

I hope to be surprised but as of right now I doubt that I will see this in the theater.
    Apr 9, 2018, 8:32 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4752

Rogue1Luvr said: View Post
    Um, we already have that.
    Where? And even if they did do that for one film, why wouldn't they do it in all of them? World building, ya know?

Lucas created a whackload of creatures and droids that we've seen throughout his franchise.

Now all I see are bits of set dressing.

Imagine if a new LOTR spinoff only centred on humans.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    From
    Dallas, TX
    Apr 9, 2018, 9:21 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4753

From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Apr 9, 2018, 9:32 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4754

The more I watch the trailer, the more (cautious) good vibes I'm getting about AE. But for the life of me, I can't get the internet gushing Glover. Billy Dee Williams should be fairly easy to mimic in a "Urban as Bones" kind of way, and I'm just not hearing it at ALL. Now, I know Glover has to make the character his own and blah blah blah, but...I'm not on board with his voice/mannerisms from what I've seen so far. Oh well, as long as Chewie is awesome (and Disney has used him very well I say), then that's a win.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Apr 9, 2018, 10:24 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4755

My ONLY concern about SOLO is the idea of taking away WHO SOLO actually is. GL TRIED to do this with the whole "Han Shot First" fiasco. If they steer SOLO away from him being a womanizer, scoundrel, swindler, etc... I'll throw my hands in the air and snort with derision.
    From
    The Outer Rim
    Apr 9, 2018, 10:43 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4756

7. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Apr 9, 2018, 11:15 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4757

I'm willing to buy into AE as a yong Han if it's a good story. For me I'm really hung up on the Falcon. I like the look but I wanted to see the real deal. I've always wanted a Han Solo/Chwebacca movie. Tried to like the books but wanted something better. I wanted a Han and Chewie adventure movie with THE Falcon. Busted and beat up hunk of junk flying like we saw in ESB. I think the train heist is a good premise keep it true to Solo being the cowboy we got in the OT and a western set in Star Wars should work well. If done right.
    Im just hoping the entire movie isn't an act of AE trying to be the coolest guy in the room. Ford didn't have to act being cool and witty because he just was.
    Visually movie looks great. I'm excited to see Chewie in action and get some real screen time.
    I hope I'm proved wrong about the Falcon and AE as Han Solo, and I hope this doesn't rewrite the character of Han Solo.
    From
    San Diego
    Apr 9, 2018, 11:21 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4758

Movie looks good, but the guy playing Han cant freaking act. Also, is anyone else bothered that they retconned Chewie to have actual hands? I hate it.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Apr 9, 2018, 11:30 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4759

CessnaDriver said: View Post
    I'm just not seeing Han Solo in this guy. It's breaking my heart each new peek. There is no presence. Maybe they should have just
    called it Space Pirates and started with new characters.
    Wasn't there a movie back in the 80's with that title already?
    Still not convinced watching new trailer first one had the Falcon batting a tie fighter, this trailer has a speeder spinning 360 or whatever - why put this sh@t in it, keep it simple and if it actually turns out to be good might just have some longevity. That stuff always spoils the action and just looks stupid.
  10. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Apr 9, 2018, 11:39 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4760

It's amazing, no wonder the stick factory is out of sticks. They can't keep up production and they keep disappearing somewhere dark! Where could they have gone?!
    Apr 9, 2018, 12:08 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4761

Falcon might be the best character
    Apr 9, 2018, 12:23 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4762

Wow, lots of Debbie downers here! Not surprised.

I've been saying since the prequels that they need a Star Wars universe Western. This could be it.

Giddy-up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Apr 9, 2018, 1:00 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4763

Funny how the tides turn after just a trailer. This needs to come on out so the haters can keep on hating. I hear lack of hate can have serious withdrawals.
    From
    Orlando
    Apr 9, 2018, 1:12 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4764

Toadmeister said: View Post
    Wow, lots of Debbie downers here! Not surprised.

I've been saying since the prequels that they need a Star Wars universe Western. This could be it.

Giddy-up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Looks like train heist western.

THe fact that Lawrence Kasdan wrote the script gives me hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Apr 9, 2018, 1:14 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4765

I was watching the trailer at 240p until 1:54 when Chewie picked up that guy with one hand and head-slammed him.

I had to immediately pause the trailer and re-watch that shot in full-screen 480p. Then I could continue with the trailer.
    Apr 9, 2018, 1:16 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4766

I'm sorry I have never been down on AE. I have never been down on the idea of a Solo movie. I think this looks entertaining. I think it will be a good popcorn movie. I guess I just forgot SW's had to be "The Ten Commandments" or "Gone with the Wind". WTF can't we give it a chance?
  17. blakeh1 is offline blakeh1
    Apr 9, 2018, 1:47 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4767

I like what I saw in the trailer. I actually have more hope for it then I ever had for it previously

This could wind up being like the Thor: Ragnorok of the Star Wars universe.
    Apr 9, 2018, 2:03 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4768

Chewy looks GREAT! I love seeing him DO STUFF.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Apr 9, 2018, 2:12 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4769

Axlotl said: View Post
    Chewy looks GREAT! I love seeing him DO STUFF.
    Agreed. I never cared about the character whatsoever until TFA (and I was born in 1975), then all of a sudden I was like "woah, Chewie is kinda awesome!"

I really hope this movie doesn't bring the hate that TLJ did. I love nerding out over SW, and it's such a drag to read vitriol. I don't mind debate, dorky nitpicking (within sane, rational reason...), but I really hate reading unhinged fury. I can't grasp why some people seem to thrive on negativity.
    From
    Austria
    Apr 9, 2018, 2:23 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4770

Taking the just released image of Hasbros Black Series 6 inch Chewie, I start to really love his new bandolier and his shotgun like rifle.

Btw, I am already so much excited about that movie. Still makes me wonder if we will see the falcon full transformation to the look we know or will we end up just hinted for it
    Last edited by Real Scooby; Apr 9, 2018 at 2:30 PM.
  21. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 9, 2018, 2:29 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4771

Marv said: View Post
    Wasn't there a movie back in the 80's with that title already?
    Ice Pirates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  22. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Apr 9, 2018, 2:29 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4772

Well, I've watched the new Solo trailer about a dozen times now, and I have yet to see, I have yet to hear, and I have yet to sense the presence of, Han Solo. To add insult upon injury, Glover's Lando Calrissian is nearly as much of a fail as is Alden's Solo.

But put Lando aside. Because as much as I love Billy Dee's Lando, that's not why I'll be going to see this movie. I'll be seeing Solo mostly for its eponymous character. And the film will fly or crash based on whether or not I can buy that Alden is a 20-something Han Solo. So far, I ain't getting that. What I see is a twerp in elevator boots, who exudes about as much coolness and danger as the underclassmen I used to initiate with atomic wedgies and lunch money shakedowns in the halls of Hoover High.

The Wook
    Apr 9, 2018, 2:30 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4773

Well, sadly I have no hope for this film, especially after The Last Jedi debacle.

This will be the first Star Wars film in 40 years that I won't be going to see in the theaters, and neither will my kids.

UNLEESSSS... it gets 8 plus/ 10 ratings from audience members. I don't trust the 'official film reviewers' anymore after how they rated TLJ.

If it comes onto Netflix I might watch it if I am bored.
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    Apr 9, 2018, 2:42 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4774

My expectations have been lowered so much that Iím actually kind of looking forward to it. Thought TLJ was junk. Did t care for rogue one. TFA was fun. Suffering from extreme star wars fatigue at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 9, 2018, 2:52 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4775

It’s amazing how one’s level of hate for Star Wars can be considered a legit quantification for being a big Star Wars fan.

(i.e. hating one trilogy, but loving another, etc)

It’s so odd to me that one can say I’m a Star Wars fan, and expend daily energy to making sure everyone knows they have that hate in them online... and I am not exempt from this, just observing.