Solo: A Star Wars Story

Finally, something else for people to complain about. I don't think the TLJ thread has actually gone 14 hours without a post since the movie came out.

It’s nice to see the general tone of this thread become more considered, rational, reasonable. Even if someone can get to cautious optimism is better than the alternative and improves the quality of the conversation. It may not turn out good but let’s at least give it a chance.

Bryan - begone! Your reasonableness has no place here.

All that being said – I finally caught the trailer and, while I have had high hopes for this, I can’t say that I am not a little put off by the fact that Alden’s delivery reminds me more of Jack Nicholson/Christian Slater than even a vague artistic reinterpretation of Harrison Ford. That might be harder for me to get past than I originally anticipated.

M

Really liked the look of it all from the trailer! Feels very similar to Rogue One. Loved the footage of the Star Destroyer in the storm especially. Just excited to have a new 'Han' adventure to look forward to!

Maybe a younger version of her ? After all , in TFA Han talks about her as if he’s known her for quite awhile , and she’s pretty fond of Chewie too !

Not to mention she'd be 40 some years younger in this than TFA as well. She may not age much in that time frame, but A LOT can happen in 40 years

Last edited:
My 11 year old son came home from school today and I wanted to show him the new trailer. As he's watching it he says, "that guy doesn't look like Han Solo". Now I'm not one of the ones here on this forum with their panties in a bunch because AE doesn't look or sound like Harrison Ford. In fact I've never seen a movie with AE. I am by no means anti-AE and I really don't know anything about the other guy either. But as I was thinking about what my son said I thought to myself, is it really wrong for some fans to want the actor portraying Han Solo to, you know, look and sound like Han Solo? Mannerisms, attitude, body language, etc do help a little, but is it wrong to want more of a connection? One that maybe feels more believable?

I get that River Phoenix didn't look like Ford when he played young Indy, but he wasn't carrying an entire film. And when Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade came out Ford was around 47 and River Phoenix was about 19. Considering Harrison Ford was around 34 when SW filmed and AE is 28, I get why some people may feel there is a disconnect because that isn't much of an age difference. Even if Solo in this movie is supposed to be "younger" than the real age of the actor portraying him, I can see how it would be hard to accept. It's hard to do an origins type story when we already had a small glimpse into the younger character some 40 years ago. I guess maybe it would be easier to swallow if Solo in this movie was supposed to be in his early teens, but not sure that's the case.

Again, I am not anti-AE, I hope he does a great job. But I got to thinking how would I have reacted if they did Solo as CGI? I didn't mind Tarkin in Rogue One, that was definitely one of the longest screen time performances by someone CG I can think of. I know it's not financially practical to do an entire movie with the lead as CG. But I liked seeing the young Leia in Rogue One, a younger Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy, a younger Michael Douglas in Ant Man, hell, they even un-****** Steven Tyler in that car commercial during the Super Bowl and made him look younger! Again, those were all short performances, so I get it. Or how would I have reacted if they chose an actor who just looked and sounded like Ford? I think they did a great job finding a young actor who looked like a young Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man Tell No Tales. I think it just tied the characters and the story together better IMHO, it felt believable which makes the attempt that much more pleasing. For me, I don't know anything about AE or AI, never seen either of their performances. So I guess as a Star Wars fan, I only want to see an actor who can make me believe I am watching a young Han Solo, so at this point I am crossing my fingers.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    578.3 KB · Views: 151
I was ready to be excited for this, but it's not doing much for me. The production design of the OT era is like a character in itself, and it's always exciting to see again, like it was in R1. One nice thing about standalones is if they are bad, at least the damage is contained and it doesn't nuke a whole trilogy from orbit.

Not gonna lie. I'm kind of hoping that they're in some other YT, and they pull the old bait and switch, and have han win a beat up older YT, that's the falcon, right before credits roll.

Yes! As soon as we saw the toy leaks with this YT I've been hoping thats the case! Besides, not that it matters all that much as its more of an easter egg, but the Falcon looks nothing like this in Revenge of the Sith ;)

I just watched the trailer again after thinking about what it was that rubbed me the wrong way and it's Ehrenreich's voice primarily. He sounds nasally and almost as if he's affecting some kind of accent. He (to me) sounds like a foreigner putting on a really bad American accent. I know he's American but that's what I'm hearing. His inflection, tone and line delivery are just all weird.

I liked the rock into music and seeing the Falcon all purdy and new. The Solo actor wouldnt have been my first pick and I think there was some back door deals going on but I digress. Howard is going to do a great job and make a film that will appeal to the masses and most of the fans. It may not tick off all the boxes for us hard core fans, but I honestly think it will be a great stand alone movie.

You know, I have to say that I really don’t get the all white interior at all.

This ship is a freighter and always has been – says so right there in the model name. It was never a luxury yacht, even when Lando was the owner. So, given that, I assumed that the padding throughout the ship was there strictly for a functional purpose – to protect the walls and the cargo when it was being moved in and out of the ship, stored, etc - basically it’s all just one big ship full of padded cargo liner. So, even though it was noticeably dirtier in the later films, I always assumed it was always just a functional off-white because it was just going to get marked up over time anyhow. Having it look pristine and elegant like the blockade runner just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever to me. This is one of those instances were showing something shiny and new just to make clear that the time. Is 20 years before doesn’t make sense – even 20 years before, this was still just an ugly, practical freighter.

That’s why I’m almost wondering if the ship that Lando owns isn’t actually the same as the ship that Han later owns - there are enough physical differences that are not easily explained away that it may be that this is a different ship and Han, falling for it, acquires a similar, but not the same, ship later. (Of coarse, then we get into that whole “you lost her to me fair and square” thing - but I’d rather they retcon around that by saying that Lando had a second ship that he lost rather than try to tell us that this beautiful ship is really just a crappy freighter that Lando decided to pimp out like a nice hotel and then Han both structurally reengineered and completely trashed within 10 years).

M

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back