Subscribe
    From
    United Kingdom
    Mar 13, 2018, 2:58 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4401

Vader’s rampage in R1 was nothing more than fan service and by no means the best scene of that movie. It also detracts from his confrontation with Kenobi less than 48hours later.
    How high does a SWIQ have to be to acknowledge that?
  2. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:47 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4402

Greenie said: View Post
    Vaderís rampage in R1 was nothing more than fan service and by no means the best scene of that movie. It also detracts from his confrontation with Kenobi less than 48hours later.
    How high does a SWIQ have to be to acknowledge that?
    I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I want to hear you out some more, so I'm clear about what you're saying.

1) Which scenes in Rogue 1 were better than Vader's rampage?
    2) How does his rampage detract from his confrontation with Kenobi 48 hours later?
  3. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:52 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4403

Btw, take your time in answering, as it's late here and I'm about to hit the hay.
    From
    Portland OR
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:53 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4404

This SOLO thread is getting pretty amusing.
  5. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:59 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4405

TheDavisBros said: View Post
    This SOLO thread is getting pretty amusing.
    For Chrissakes, you're only 15....go to bed!

Sheesh.
    From
    Portland OR
    Mar 13, 2018, 4:22 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4406

Much to my parents dismay, I'm nocturnal.
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mar 13, 2018, 9:04 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4407

The Wook said: View Post
    Yep, post counts mean a whole lot in the real world too.
  8. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Mar 13, 2018, 9:32 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4408

Robinson said: View Post
    If that’s the case, @The Wook must look up to me as I look down on him...
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 13, 2018, 10:19 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4409

The results of Halliwax's SWIQ test are in. His SWIQ is:

High.

And bordering on very high, but not quite there. Here's a snapshot breakdown of his SWIQ profile. If you're a sports fan, consider it like a Scouting Report, of sorts. A SWIQ Scouting Report. lol

High SWIQ Strengths:

* Recognizes that ANH and ESB represent the gold standard of Star Wars films.

* Places sufficient quality gap between ESB/ANH and ROTJ. (See "SWIQ Weaknesses" for caveats.)

* Places sufficient gap between the OT films and the remaining 6 films.

* Places sufficient gap between ESB/ANH and TFA. (See "SWIQ Weaknesses" for caveats.)

* Correctly critical of many of the low-SWIQ elements in TFA, such as Rey's Mary Sue treatment by the writers/diretor. (See "SWIQ Weaknesses" for caveats.)

* Accurately identifies Vader going berserk at the end as one of the only good scenes in an otherwise awful Rogue 1.

* Vehemently voices proper contempt for TLJ--the worst Star Wars movie ever made.

* Extremely high Star Wars knowledge base. And even though canon is all that matters, he boasts an extensive EU knowledge, and gets a small nod for that.

Low SWIQ Weaknesses:

* Professes far too much love for TFA. And so even though, to his credit, he was turned off by Mary Sue Rey and some other ridiculous elements in the film, he still, oddly, considers the film, to use his direct words, an "awesome reboot". True, he normally hates reboots, so this praise is diluted by that fact. But after listing some things, both important and trivial, which he didn't like about the film, he went on to say, "Other than that, I love TFA.". This is a concern, although it is mitigated by the large gap he placed between ESB/ANH and TFA.

* Gap he places between ESB/ANH and ROTJ should be greater, but he was born in '84, so he has a certain nostalgia for ROTJ. He didn't experience the three-year wait between films, he was super young when he watched the first three films on VHS over and over again, and he didn't see the films in the theater until he'd already seen them each umpteen times on the small screen. So this was considered as a mitigating factor when reducing his SWIQ on this point. But, he's not a fan of the Ewoks, so at least he dislikes the lowest-SWIQ parts of the film.

Conclusion:

High-SWIQ fan who borders on being a Very High-SWIQ fan, but is held back by his weaknesses--especially the weakness regarding his erroneous belief that TFA is mostly a good Star Wars movie. Without drilling down deeper into his SWIQ, it remains a firm, "High-SWIQ" rating. But based on the current available data, not higher than that. I would recommend him to make a Star Wars movie. But with supervision.
    wook that was a lot of fun!!! thanks for taking the time and doing this!
    From
    Michigan
    Mar 13, 2018, 11:00 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4410

The results of Halliwax's SWIQ test are in. His SWIQ is: <snip>
    I know a lot of this is done tongue-in-cheek(?), but it always makes me smile (and I have to confess, the fact that I'm on board with most of what you define as "strengths", is somewhat - if not embarrassingly - gratifying)

FWIW, I found the Vader scene a huge letdown as well. When I first heard this scene to be rumored, I envisioned finally being able to see Vader "let his hair down" and move with a shock-and-awe aggression; flying through the air like Palpatine and the like. Nothing too CGI-rific, just a major amped-up Vader going nuts.

I know that wouldn't square with the OWK scene, but you could chalk it up to Vader toying with him (and maybe even playing it more conservative being that he DID have respect for OWK's powers). But the whole cheesy, slow "introduction", igniting the saber and then with the slow promenade down the corridor (when time was of the essence) was just, well, stereotypically Vader. Seen it. I can see where "Vader at the height of his powers" might equate to "always looking effortless" for some, but I was underwhelmed.

I thought the exchange between Cassian and Jyn back in the ship after the clash on Eadu, was extremely intense, and one of the best SW scenes ever in terms of really "feeling it".
  11. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Mar 13, 2018, 2:36 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4411

In the REAL world, you would report to me. Like a schoolboy...your hands sticky, from candy.
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mar 13, 2018, 2:37 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4412

In the REAL world, you would report to me. Like a school boy...your hands sticky, from candy.
    Ha, now I know your either senile or delusional.
  13. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Mar 13, 2018, 2:42 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4413

Ha, now I know your either senile or delusional.
    Those are not mutually exclusive!
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:58 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4414

Bryancd said: View Post
    Those are not mutually exclusive!
    Trying to give the benefit of doubt.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Mar 13, 2018, 5:40 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4415

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I want to hear you out some more, so I'm clear about what you're saying.

1) Which scenes in Rogue 1 were better than Vader's rampage?
    2) How does his rampage detract from his confrontation with Kenobi 48 hours later?

The scenes that were 'better' or worked for me were space battles over Scarrif. The inclusion of red and gold leaders was unnecessary but was an addition to continuity and made me smile. The hammerhead ramming the SD was something not seen before in SW and pretty cool. It doesn't say much for the story or characters, I guess praise goes to ILM but they are the ones propping up Disney's Star Wars.
    I'm not saying I didnt like the Vader scene, it also had me smiling, but his presence didn't add to his character or that story. I't did, however, poke a hole in the real story that my high SWIQ rejected
    He came down that corridor swinging his lightsaber like Anakin PT, force pushing and pulling rebels around like rag dolls yet he is no longer that person.
    'He's more machine now than he is man' Obi Wan Kenobi told us and when they met again in their final confrontation, the way Vader moved and their style of fighting (sparring) was that of an old man and guy with disabilities, both shadows of their former selves. This is what we were shown and told as the story unfolded. A story that now occurs hours after the fan pleasing rampage.

So, will I get a rating as well?
    From
    Burlington Vermont U.S.A.
    Mar 13, 2018, 5:43 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4416

We're still talking about 'Solo' right?

Let's get this back on track and tear this movie a new one.
  17. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Mar 13, 2018, 6:11 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4417

Keycube said: View Post
    I know a lot of this is done tongue-in-cheek(?)
    No. It's not.

...but it always makes me smile (and I have to confess, the fact that I'm on board with most of what you define as "strengths", is somewhat - if not embarrassingly - gratifying)
    Then you have a high-ish SWIQ. (see caveat below)

FWIW, I found the Vader scene a huge letdown as well. When I first heard this scene to be rumored, I envisioned finally being able to see Vader "let his hair down" and move with a shock-and-awe aggression; flying through the air like Palpatine and the like. Nothing too CGI-rific, just a major amped-up Vader going nuts.

I know that wouldn't square with the OWK scene, but you could chalk it up to Vader toying with him (and maybe even playing it more conservative being that he DID have respect for OWK's powers). But the whole cheesy, slow "introduction", igniting the saber and then with the slow promenade down the corridor (when time was of the essence) was just, well, stereotypically Vader. Seen it. I can see where "Vader at the height of his powers" might equate to "always looking effortless" for some, but I was underwhelmed.
    Greenie said: View Post
    The scenes that were 'better' or worked for me were space battles over Scarrif. The inclusion of red and gold leaders was unnecessary but was an addition to continuity and made me smile. The hammerhead ramming the SD was something not seen before in SW and pretty cool. It doesn't say much for the story or characters, I guess praise goes to ILM but they are the ones propping up Disney's Star Wars.
    I'm not saying I didnt like the Vader scene, it also had me smiling, but his presence didn't add to his character or that story. I't did, however, poke a hole in the real story that my high SWIQ rejected.

He came down that corridor swinging his lightsaber like Anakin PT, force pushing and pulling rebels around like rag dolls yet he is no longer that person. "He's more machine now than he is man", Obi Wan Kenobi told us and when they met again in their final confrontation, the way Vader moved and their style of fighting (sparring) was that of an old man and guy with disabilities, both shadows of their former selves. This is what we were shown and told as the story unfolded. A story that now occurs hours after the fan pleasing rampage.
    Dang, you two guys have total opposite takes on what Vader's rampage scene should've looked like. lol FTR, I agree with Greenie. Vader flying around would've been horrible. That's not his style. So I'm afraid Keycube loses some SWIQ points for that. And to Greenie, remember, in halliwax's SWIQ Scouting Report, I referred to the scene as "one of the only good scenes in Rogue 1". The key word is, "good". It's not "great", when compared to ANH/ESB greatness. It's not like I rank that scene among the best scenes in the franchise. No, all those are from ANH and ESB. But, as far as the PT and Disney movies go, it was one of the best scenes. I have the same issues you have with it. So I think we're on the same page.

So, will I get a rating as well?
    Lol...read my answer to Inquisitor. But it's high, you know that. And you know I know that. Well, high-ish, anyway. lol

The Wook
    Last edited by The Wook; Mar 13, 2018 at 6:16 PM.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Mar 13, 2018, 6:16 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4418

TheMechanic said: View Post
    We're still talking about 'Solo' right?

Let's get this back on track and tear this movie a new one.
    One trailer and some CD sleeves.....I mean posters and still no sign of HAN SOLO! Not a lot to go on.
    From
    Capt. Kirk's home state
    Mar 13, 2018, 6:46 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4419

https://youtu.be/6_s7jRFPEcQ?t=3m3s

I knew I had heard that before somewhere. Nice pull, Wook.
  20. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Mar 13, 2018, 7:02 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4420

Solo said: View Post
    https://youtu.be/6_s7jRFPEcQ?t=3m3s

I knew I had heard that before somewhere. Nice pull, Wook.
    Lmao...thanks. One of my favorite lines ever!

You obviously have a high 30 ROCKIQ.
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Mar 13, 2018, 7:03 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4421

@The Wook and @Solo:

This is how I pictured it:
    CANDY.JPG
  22. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Mar 13, 2018, 7:07 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4422

MooCriket said: View Post
    @The Wook and @Solo:

This is how I pictured it:
    CANDY.JPG
    LOL...but I picture him more like a dapper little boy, in a fancy school uniform with knickers, every hair in place wet-ly combed to the side, every button buttoned, but his hands (and mouth) sticky from candy.
    From
    Terra Australis
    Mar 13, 2018, 7:17 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4423

When are Disney going to spend some of that $48 Million they saved from Iger`s bonus denial and start promoting this movie?
  24. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Mar 13, 2018, 9:18 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4424

Mr Webber said: View Post
    When are Disney going to spend some of that $48 Million they saved from Iger`s bonus denial and start promoting this movie?
    Maybe they know it stinks. And they don't want to throw good money after bad.
  25. Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Mar 13, 2018, 9:45 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #4425

Mr Webber said: View Post
    Trust me, they don't want anything to distract a potential consumer of a TLJ Blu Ray. The sun is rapidly setting on the amount of time they have to sell this movie with a straight face.