Solo: A Star Wars Story

Screenshot_2018-02-01-14-34-02.png

Yes but they had a 12 month separation in that case.

Point being, they take great pains to not step on their own toes.

There were complaints of not having trailers of marvel movies with other marvel movies in the past, no R1 with TFA, etc. People are trying to assume it's because it's not done or bad and their past history shoes they try not to step on their own toes.

That said, at this point I don't see putting a trailer out taking 1 cent from the remaining showings of TLJ. But, that's their track record.

Point being, they take great pains to not step on their own toes.

There were complaints of not having trailers of marvel movies with other marvel movies in the past, no R1 with TFA, etc. People are trying to assume it's because it's not done or bad and their past history shoes they try not to step on their own toes.

That said, at this point I don't see putting a trailer out taking 1 cent from the remaining showings of TLJ. But, that's their track record.

absolutely, which is what I have been trying to impress on people who would rather find more nefarious reasons why the marketing hasn't begun yet. But the siren call of a good conspiracy theory is too tempting for some and it better fits a narrative they live within....which is either a basement flat or their parents garage. ;)

Not that I should I talk as I am standing in my kitchen making dinner listening to Erasure on Alexa...

....and drinking a Sonoma Coast Chardonnay.

Last edited:
I love Ron Howard and his first film Night Shift is among my all time favorites but his promotion style is as boring and facile as it gets. I cant believe with all the resources at their disposal, Disney have only allowed him to promote this movie.:facepalm

I love Ron Howard and his first film Night Shift is among my all time favorites but his promotion style is as boring and facile as it gets. I cant believe with all the resources at their disposal, Disney have only allowed him to promote this movie.:facepalm

Thats the point, he's not a promoter but LucasFilm has established precedent starting with JJ to allow the directors to tease stuff before the official marketing efforts begin, which will start Sunday. How many times does it need to be said that no promotion for Solo was going to ocur until TLJ left theaters? I've said it for months and I was exactly right.

Thats the point, he's not a promoter but LucasFilm has established precedent starting with JJ to allow the directors to tease stuff before the official marketing efforts begin, which will start Sunday. How many times does it need to be said that no promotion for Solo was going to ocur until TLJ left theaters? I've said it for months and I was exactly right.

Are you saying that if we do indeed get the first Solo promotion during the Super Bowl, that TLJ will be gone from theaters next week? Or will it disappear gradually. Do you happen to know how many screens it's down to at this point in its run?

But the siren call of a good conspiracy theory is too tempting for some and it better fits a narrative they live within....which is either a basement flat or their parents garage. ;)

CONDESCENDING
adjective

having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority.

There`s no conspiracy here, its only natural for people to wonder why a company would not even release a still from a movie when all the information they are getting is that it is a trouble-plagued production at the very least. If that`s how a film company handles a situation in order to protect another film which is about to drop off the radar forever then I`m glad I dont have a financial stake in them.

For the record, I own my own house and have a one third stake in a vast property on the edge of the city. Not that it is at all important.

Last edited:
All of my friends (45+) disliked TLJ. None of us had anything good to say/discuss about it. The fact that RJ is going to helm 3 future films is a horrific thought. SW isn't about politics,PC notions,feminist movements,or stupid diversity one keeps reading about.

It's about heroes taking on the bad guys and winning the day with awesome spaceships,props, visuals, to back up a great adventure story.

Ouch...... When Kathleen Kennedy decides to show up at star wars events in a T-Shirt that reads "THE FORCE IS FEMALE" yes sir that's a political statement. 4 movies since Disney took over and Kennedy was given the rigns Ep7 Female Lead Rogue One Female Lead Ep 8 Female Lead Then we have Solo 1 of 4 films in 4 years has a male lead. The fact that Johnson had to continue on with a very weak story as well as some of the weakest characters I have seen in the franchise since the holiday special. Johnson decided to take some chances in the end its JJ who set it up and JJ who will finish it off. I still want what George had drafted up to be released on the side. I want to know what basically GOD had intended for his creation. Kathleen Kennedy was a poor choice to lead Lucas Film, I believe she should be removed and David Filoni be given the reigns. if nothing else we will get better quality programs and films and a better expanded universe than Kennedy and her political views can provide for all star wars fans.. Its time to allow entertainment to just be entertainment again. enough of the politics save them for every other thing in life. keep It the hell out of Star Wars.

Ouch...... When Kathleen Kennedy decides to show up at star wars events in a T-Shirt that reads "THE FORCE IS FEMALE" yes sir that's a political statement. 4 movies since Disney took over and Kennedy was given the rigns Ep7 Female Lead Rogue One Female Lead Ep 8 Female Lead Then we have Solo 1 of 4 films in 4 years has a male lead. The fact that Johnson had to continue on with a very weak story as well as some of the weakest characters I have seen in the franchise since the holiday special. Johnson decided to take some chances in the end its JJ who set it up and JJ who will finish it off. I still want what George had drafted up to be released on the side. I want to know what basically GOD had intended for his creation. Kathleen Kennedy was a poor choice to lead Lucas Film, I believe she should be removed and David Filoni be given the reigns. if nothing else we will get better quality programs and films and a better expanded universe than Kennedy and her political views can provide for all star wars fans.. Its time to allow entertainment to just be entertainment again. enough of the politics save them for every other thing in life. keep It the hell out of Star Wars.

I agree

It's a bit like the Force,...balance is what we need

J

Actually, his first film was the low budget Corman classic, "Grand Theft Auto".

There`s no conspiracy here, its only natural for people to wonder why a company would not even release a still from a movie when all the information they are getting is that it is a trouble-plagued production at the very least.

Without a doubt the production has gone far over budget and net profitability will be effected but in the big picture it’s not really that material. Based on Rin’s Tweet they are still editing so again it’s clear that film up until now has been in a unfinished state. It’s hard to decide how to position a marketing effort without a solid idea of what the tone of the film is. Even when Lord and Miller were still at the helm the idea of marketing two films simultaneously was not on the table. A Solo trailer was never going to be attached to TLJ. There was nothing preventing them from throwing together a really brief tease but it wasn’t how they wanted to launch this film prior to now. Usually the simplest answer is the correct one.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you saying that if we do indeed get the first Solo promotion during the Super Bowl, that TLJ will be gone from theaters next week? Or will it disappear gradually. Do you happen to know how many screens it's down to at this point in its run?

My limited understanding had the film in theaters through the end of Jan. as per contractual obligations.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back