Solo: A Star Wars Story

...some woman from GoT.

Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, rightful heir to the Iron Throne, rightful Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just curious, why wouldn't Disney confirm or deny if there's gonna be a Solo commercial/trailer during the Superbowl? Is there any upside to withholding that sort of information?

Marketing is a funny “science”. To maximize impact sometimes decisions at made that from the outside don’t make sense.

Yeah, it just strikes me as a strange thing for them to be coy about (and I know it's not just Disney, all the big studios seem to do it now).

I know for a fact companies like Disney spend a ton of money on market research to figure out how to have the biggest impact. My wife once worked on a Disney research project.

I'm just curious, why wouldn't Disney confirm or deny if there's gonna be a Solo commercial/trailer during the Superbowl? Is there any upside to withholding that sort of information?

Yes, the upside is clear. It keeps people guessing, which fuels the online speculations and water cooler conversations. Marketing is all about creating a buzz around something's arrival--whether that something be a trailer, a product on the shelves (like the latest phone), or even news (like news of a launch date, or film title, or phone screen size, etc.).

If there's no trailer slated for the Super Bowl, why tell us that? Once we get the news, it's disseminated and discussed briefly, but that's it, the buzz dies down, until the next "logical" time when the trailer could arrive. By saying nothing, in contast, it makes us keep wondering and speculating online and with our real-life friends. It keeps the buzz alive.

The Wook

Yes, the upside is clear. It keeps people guessing, which fuels the online speculations and water cooler conversations. Marketing is all about creating a buzz around something's arrival--whether that something be a trailer, a product on the shelves (like the latest phone), or even news (like news of a launch date, or film title, or phone screen size, etc.).

If there's no trailer slated for the Super Bowl, why tell us that? Once we get the news, it's disseminated and discussed briefly, but that's it, the buzz dies down, until the next "logical" time when the trailer could arrive. By saying nothing, in contast, it makes us keep wondering and speculating online and with our real-life friends. It keeps the buzz alive.

The Wook

Case in point here we all are going around and around discussing it.

The Wook

That, and they're probably airing a trailer (or two or three) for other movies of theirs. Telling people this one won't be there will mean fewer people watching and thus fewer people to see their other adds.

BTW, didn't we have the same discussion over R1's trailer? It was not out by the SB either. Maybe have been april IIRC. Not because it was/wasn't ready, but they didn't want to step on TFA's toes.

That, and they're probably airing a trailer (or two or three) for other movies of theirs. Telling people this one won't be there will mean fewer people watching and thus fewer people to see their other adds.

BTW, didn't we have the same discussion over R1's trailer? It was not out by the SB either. Maybe have been april IIRC. Not because it was/wasn't ready, but they didn't want to step on TFA's toes.

Yes but they had a 12 month separation in that case.

The Wook

I guess my earlier thought was if you're Disney and you know you're running a spot during the Superbowl, wouldn't announcing that ahead of time turn it into an event? But I see your point. In online marketing terms, I guess that's ancient thinking these days. There probably is a whole lot more buzz in keeping people guessing.

Here we go, probably teaser during Super Bowl, full trailer Monday on GMA as per Jason at Making Star Wars.

Attachments

• B48A9A33-5B9B-4521-A8FC-F47828BC0FAB.jpeg
    B48A9A33-5B9B-4521-A8FC-F47828BC0FAB.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 86
Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, rightful heir to the Iron Throne, rightful Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains.

Like I said, some woman. :)

"... and this is Han Solo. He captains the Millennium Falcon."

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back