Solo: A Star Wars Story

I just don't like what I'm seeing...
I thought Leigh Brackett and Edmond Hamilton wrote Empire? Didn't they died?

Brackett started working on Empire but died rather suddenly. But according to Lucas and Gary Kurtz, she wasn't really getting the right tone for the characters in the script she turned in (the Rinzler book cites a few, small samples). And she was married to Hamilton but he didn't contribute, as far as I know.

So after Brackett, Kasdan took over and by most accounts, he's the one who really whipped Empire into shape (with an assist from Irvin Kershner). Kasdan also scripted Raiders, fwiw. Despite all of that, the marketing silence on Solo seems like a bad sign.

Brackett started working on Empire but died rather suddenly. But according to Lucas and Gary Kurtz, she wasn't really getting the right tone for the characters in the script she turned in (the Rinzler book cites a few, small samples). And she was married to Hamilton but he didn't contribute, as far as I know.

So after Brackett, Kasdan took over and by most accounts, he's the one who really whipped Empire into shape (with an assist from Irvin Kershner). Kasdan also scripted Raiders, fwiw. .

Agreed. I haven't read it in a few years but, from what I recall of the transcripts of the ESB story meetings attended by GL, Kasdan and (I believe) Kershner as reproduced in "The Secret History of Star Wars", Kasdan played a very large and active role in crafting ESB as we know it today. He was also pretty vocal on pushing back on certain of George's story points and proposals - some of which Kasdan won on, others of which he lost on.

M

I don't know if this has already been addressed but do we know if this is going to be a buddy movie or is it going to be young naïve Han learning from master smuggler Lando? I hope it's at least the former because we don't need another Master/Apprentice relationship in this franchise.

I don't know if this has already been addressed but do we know if this is going to be a buddy movie or is it going to be young naïve Han learning from master smuggler Lando? I hope it's at least the former because we don't need another Master/Apprentice relationship in this franchise.

Kinda figured it would involve, at least to some extent, "young naïve Han learning from master smuggler Beckett" (Woody Harrelson's character who has been described as "mentor" to Han). But who knows?

We know it takes place over about a 10 year period of time broken into 3 different segments of Han’s early life. So perhaps we start with him as a late teen and being recruited by the Empire as a pilot. Then jump ahead a few years to find him running from that life and into the Underworld possibly involving Chewie, and finally meeting Lando and getting the Falcon.

Speculation about the trailer has all gone quiet again. Want to see it, more for curiousity than anything else, but the lack of any marketing with the release mere months away seems very suspect.

Add to that Glover still had his Lando face on at the Grammys also suggests that they are still shooting stuff or at least fear they may have to.

Since TLJ was a tad too long maybe they decided to make SOLO shorter. But they cut so much material that there was practically nothing left to show in a trailer that was not a major spoiler. :D ;)

Last edited:
Just like the Marvel and "Ant man" had issues because this Solo project has been widely targeted as a likely" miss-step" by a fair few SW fans and others they know they need to get it dead right. No ifs or buts about it.
Given the some of deserved flack the "TLJ" has recieved from the OT SW fans, they are hugely aware that this movie will be in for some VERY critical analysis and if it fails even just slightly to be better than average , its going to be torn apart on social media.
So I don't blame them for taking their time.And I don't give a damn about getting a trailer "soon" PROVIDING the final film is actually reasonably watchable.
I am well prepared for the fact that Alden may not capture the character of a younger Han Solo perfectly, but I hope the rest of the cast around him and the story may be strong enough, along with some great VFX sequences with the Falcon.
All this kind of worry posting was almost exactly the same as with R1 , and I personally need something good to rekindle my faith in SW, which is currently quite low incomparisson to alot of the great movies and TV coming out these next few months.

Last edited:
We need to remember that this is a reinvention. Roger Moore didn't physically resemble Connery.

The Han Solo recasting isn't quite that much of a reboot but it's more than halfway there. The intention was not the same as if they were casting somebody to do young Harrison for 5 minutes.

If this movie is a success then you can bet they will start looking for other ways to run with their new casting. Maybe a young Lando movie. Or a Boba Fett movie. Or make an appearance in an Obi-Wan movie somehow (I sure hope not).

The fanboy media is starting to ask what's the deal with Solo....

Alright Disney, Enough’s Enough: What’s Happening With SOLO?

Yet while Disney fine-tunes this first promo, the fact still remains: Solo is now supposed to come out in five months. There have been rumors circulating that the date might move (easy way to tell: if this initial spot includes a number at the end), which might be wise considering the precarious position Star Wars is currently in (The Last Jedi being a critically lauded, financially successful sequel still viewed as a franchise black eye thanks to an overly vocal minority).

Is It Time to Worry About the Han Solo Movie?
The current rumor holds that Solo will not even get a Super Bowl LII television spot, which would have been a perfect, if not late, time to get the ball rolling.

...and a new Twitter account to keep everyone updated.

We need to remember that this is a reinvention. Roger Moore didn't physically resemble Connery.

Yes, but they were the same height. Every Bond actor has been around 6'2". Except this latest one, who's a bulky, stumpy 5'9". If his too short stature for the character is not bad enough, the man looks Russian. He looks like he should be playing a Bond villain's henchman. I realize he is British--Welsh, to be precise, IIRC--but he sure doesn't look it.

The Wook

with all this secrecy to this movie, all the negativity, i hope this movie blows all the others out of the air... i seriously doubt it will happen, but i would laugh my hardest coming out of the theater if it was really good, and thinking back at all the negativity wasted over it

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back