Solo: A Star Wars Story

Hey Bryan ,

This is slightly off topic ( apologies ) , but with all this chatter about cultural significance and expected monetary returns from various markets ...
Just wondering , how well are the animated films received in China - are they popular & profitable for Disney ?

Ged

Hey Ged, yeah Zootopia in 2016 did $235M in China. This past year the live action Beauty and the Beast did $85M. But Inside Out only did $15M. So it depends. Guardians 2 didi $100M, so maybe that's clearly resonating well with audiences there. So Disney in China is far more then just Star Wars. It would be awesome for SW to get traction there but not a deal breaker.

- - - Updated - - -

It was right before the camera collectors on e-bay realized Star Wars fans wanted them to make lightsabers and the prices shot up to $800+. :)

Why I Want 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' To Fail - one Forbes writer details his issues with the movie. I do agree with him on so many points... but, it was the Ehrenreich casting that was the finishing touch for me. I'm still holding on to some bit of hope that we'll all be surprised by it.

Star Wars Han Solo movie: Trailer release next weekend? Here’s the big clue - I hate posting these speculative posts about the trailer since so many have been proven wrong.

'Solo' Is Already Healing 'Star Wars' Rifts Left by 'The Last Jedi' - is THR trolling or are they that out of touch?

I got my first Graflex shortly after I started here - and on ASAP - I don't think I paid anymore that Bryan paid for his. Always on the hunt for another at a good price, but I think those days are long gone. I've got three versions of that classic Skywalker saber now, the OG Graflex in ANH glory, an MR Hamill signature ESB and a Korbanth TFA - I'm itching to add a chassis to one and get another Korbanth to slice in half ala TLJ. I also bought two Denix Mausers years ago - one's been converted to Han's ANH blaster, the other is still sitting in the box waiting for the right project.

Why I Want 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' To Fail - one Forbes writer details his issues with the movie. I do agree with him on so many points... but, it was the Ehrenreich casting that was the finishing touch for me. I'm still holding on to some bit of hope that we'll all be surprised by it.

Star Wars Han Solo movie: Trailer release next weekend? Here’s the big clue - I hate posting these speculative posts about the trailer since so many have been proven wrong.

'Solo' Is Already Healing 'Star Wars' Rifts Left by 'The Last Jedi' - is THR trolling or are they that out of touch?

I got my first Graflex shortly after I started here - and on ASAP - I don't think I paid anymore that Bryan paid for his. Always on the hunt for another at a good price, but I think those days are long gone. I've got three versions of that classic Skywalker saber now, the OG Graflex in ANH glory, an MR Hamill signature ESB and a Korbanth TFA - I'm itching to add a chassis to one and get another Korbanth to slice in half ala TLJ. I also bought two Denix Mausers years ago - one's been converted to Han's ANH blaster, the other is still sitting in the box waiting for the right project.

Both Randy (Korbanth) and Richard Coyle live here in the metro Phoenix area. I’ve been to their homes and shops. :)

Hadn't seen this photo of Lando yet...

lando_crop_1.jpg

Whoa. From the shooting script if ANH. Misinformation? You know, Han never said he piloted the ship for the Kessel Run, just that the ship completed it...

Attachments

• F29A8086-77CF-45C9-951D-2299C73CB07C.jpeg
    F29A8086-77CF-45C9-951D-2299C73CB07C.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 230
Nothing's convinced me that Solo won't be to the Star Wars franchise what Cars was to Disney Animation. At best I expect it to be "just fine."

The central conceptual flaw behind the entire project is that Han Solo is best as a supporting character. In ANH he was the peripheral character who got some of the best gags because he didn't have to carry the emotional weight of the story - c.f. Genie in Aladdin, Kramer in Seinfeld, Hulk in Avengers etc.

What they really should have done was a Lando/Millennium Falcon film which has more creative potential with deeper roots. In that film there may be a Solo cameo at best.

Nothing's convinced me that Solo won't be to the Star Wars franchise what Cars was to Disney Animation. At best I expect it to be "just fine."

The central conceptual flaw behind the entire project is that Han Solo is best as a supporting character. In ANH he was the peripheral character who got some of the best gags because he didn't have to carry the emotional weight of the story - c.f. Genie in Aladdin, Kramer in Seinfeld, Hulk in Avengers etc.

What they really should have done was a Lando/Millennium Falcon film which has more creative potential with deeper roots. In that film there may be a Solo cameo at best.

Based on what I posted above I wonder if it will be Lando making the record setting run.

This would have made much more sense. Does anyone remember rumors that Donald Glover's role was expanded during the reshoots? I think I remember reading something about that a while back.

Rylo's Logan's run flame gun. Very nice.

I do! Props and models. Building ANH real graflex is what brought me here back in 2002. I have a Coyle BR blaster, a working Rylo Sandman flame gun, a Coyle original BSG blaster. A few E-11’s, helmets, and a lot of models including 2 Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprises. :) I have pictures in threads appropriate to those topics.

After The Last Jedi's Poor Showing, Solo: A Star Wars Story Is Getting A Different Name in China[/h]

https://io9.gizmodo.com/after-the-last-jedis-poor-showing-solo-a-star-wars-st-1822481547

While every Star Wars film released thus far in China has included the characters for Star Wars in its Chinese Title, Solo is being referred to simply as Ranger Solo. No Star Wars need apply.

I never thought I`d live to see the day when this would happen.
And when you take on board the success TFA and R1 had there, its incredible.

Last edited:
Soo... where is the trailer?

I have the feeling Lando will be made out to be the better pilot, more skilled, more intelligent, better with women, and will just flat out be the star of the movie.

After destroying everything about Luke, Vader and palpatine that made them such powerful unique and just flat out awesome characters for all these years... they really need to destroy Han a bit more too. Really just show what a loser he is. We need a movie about that...

Seriously, if Disney isn’t worried... where is the trailer? A teaser? An announcement?

Soo... where is the trailer?

I have the feeling Lando will be made out to be the better pilot, more skilled, more intelligent, better with women, and will just flat out be the star of the movie.

After destroying everything about Luke, Vader and palpatine that made them such powerful unique and just flat out awesome characters for all these years... they really need to destroy Han a bit more too. Really just show what a loser he is. We need a movie about that...

Seriously, if Disney isn’t worried... where is the trailer? A teaser? An announcement?

Super Bowl. Can we say that or is it The Big Game?

Is that confirmed Bryan? Thanks for the heads up. I would LOVE to be wrong about this one and it turn out just amazing.

I actually want this to be good as well, to see the brand suffer further damage is not something any one who has invested a large part of their lives in Star Wars wants to see.
All the problems that it has experienced during its production and the complete lack of any official promotion of any kind is not encouraging though.

I actually want this to be good as well, to see the brand suffer further damage is not something any one who has invested a large part of their lives in Star Wars wants to see.
All the problems that it has experienced during its production and the complete lack of any official promotion of any kind is not encouraging though.

But you can’t compare marketing efforts to previous releases as they have never had two SW films release in such close proximity. Most people on the inside of the film industry seem to agree even without the change of director and reshoots we still wouldn’t have seen anything promotional earlier than this week as they waited for TLJ to end its theatrical run.

I doubt that very much in such a promotion driven industry. In fact the industry survives and only thrives on promotion. Not even a still? Cmon.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back