Solo: A Star Wars Story

The box office figures I used in my comment are very easily quanitified.

No, what's unclear is how much revenue is lost due to piracy in the three weeks after the premiere to any film launching in China.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to go off subject, but how is Hong Kong Disney doing? Last I read, its down by 20%. Then up again. IDK...Maybe thats a reflection of how China is reacting to TLJ.

I think this subject might need to be a separate thread. Interesting enough though

Hong Kong Disney attendance peaked in 2014 and has been down the last two years. We will know 2017 numbers soon when they announce earnings. In general through the first half of 2017 park attendance was up 8% but they don't break out each park. Although attendance was down in Hong Kong over the past 2 years, revenues are up as they focus on profitibalilty. It's not a function of TLJ or any one film, it's just less mainland Chinese making the trip.

I just dont think its reasonable to label potentially millions of people internet pirates without any evidence to support it. I dont think that is very unreasonable.

I just dont think its reasonable to label potentially millions of people internet pirates without any evidence to support it. I dont think that is very unreasonable.

The MPAA has filed law suits in China to combat piracy losses that could be in the $Billions range across all studios. The Chinese have begun to crack down on file sharing services in country so hopefully it's a situation which can be turned around.

I think this subject might need to be a separate thread. Interesting enough though

This subject relates to why the name Star Wars has been dropped from the title and why there was a need to change the name of the Solo movie. Why would it need a seperate thread?

This subject relates to why the name Star Wars has been dropped from the title and why there was a need to change the name of the Solo movie. Why would it need a seperate thread?

Since the name Star Wars carries no cultural significance in China it's not a bad idea to try no linch Solo this way.

But TFA and R1 had a great significance in China, whats so different now?

Well, no, TFA was disappointing in regards to what Disney had hoped for, it fell well short of estimates. Rogue One had two very well known Chinese actors which may have helped a bit but still was lower then TFA. Two films with declining revenue it's not surprising the third continued that trend. TLJ has a lot of Luke in it and Luke isn't a revered known entity in China. The Chinese cinema goer is very different from their western counterpart. Look at the top grossing box office films in China and it's obvious their tastes in film entertainment are a bit different. I mentioned before, maybe Solo as a standalone story not steeped in meta knowledge of Star Wars will do better. We'll see.

Well, no, TFA was disappointing in regards to what Disney had hoped for, it fell well short of estimates. Rogue One had two very well known Chinese actors which may have helped a bit but still was lower then TFA. Two films with declining revenue it's not surprising the third continued that trend. TLJ has a lot of Jake in it and Jake isn't a revered known entity in China. The Chinese cinema goer is very different from their western counterpart. Look at the top grossing box office films in China and it's obvious their tastes in film entertainment are a bit different. I mentioned before, maybe Solo as a standalone story not steeped in meta knowledge of Star Wars will do better. We'll see.

FTFY.

Btw, he was new (and lame) to us, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sure that many Studios would have been very happy with a combined revenue of over 200 million on just two movie releases but I guess Disney is a different beast altogether.

Im sure that many Studios would have been very happy with a combined revenue of over 200 million on just two movie releases but I guess Disney is a different beast altogether.

Well, they recognize the size of the Chinese market and like other studios they are trying to find the sweet spot for films that have true global appeal as opposed to just western. Those Fast and Furious films make major money in China.

Well, they recognize the size of the Chinese market and like other studios they are trying to find the sweet spot for films that have true global appeal as opposed to just western. Those Fast and Furious films make major money in China.

Does that include condoning racism, by allowing Finn's photo on the TFA poster to be shrunken down?

Hey Bryan ,

This is slightly off topic ( apologies ) , but with all this chatter about cultural significance and expected monetary returns from various markets ...
Just wondering , how well are the animated films received in China - are they popular & profitable for Disney ?

Ged

I havent been able to find any actual data or even a comment from Disney themselves that would help to support that theory.

Star wars is still in the theatres, if Disney even mentions that there is a watchable copy out there, it will attract people who were not aware of it, to go looking for it, potentially further cutting sales in countries where it is still showing.

Also

maxresdefault.jpgChinese illegally copied star wars is not without precedence.

Star wars is still in the theatres, if Disney even mentions that there is a watchable copy out there, it will attract people who were not aware of it, to go looking for it, potentially further cutting sales in countries where it is still showing.

Also

View attachment 790432Chinese illegally copied star wars is not without precedence.

They do fake Rolex watches and IPhones too.

Still no proof, only speculation behind the theory that illegal copies of TLJ were so rife that it caused the film to be withdrawn after only two weeks. I`m sure there may have been illegal copies of Transformers and Fast and Furious movies as well but that didnt seem to stop huge financial returns for the respective studios. I`m also sure that the people who look for illegal copies of movies hardly need Disney to tell them they are available.

Last edited:
bryan, all seriousness not trolling or flaming. but i was curious do you collect any props? or do you just use this forum for movie and entertainment? i was just curious if you have a collection thread or something i can check out

bryan, all seriousness not trolling or flaming. but i was curious do you collect any props? or do you just use this forum for movie and entertainment? i was just curious if you have a collection thread or something i can check out

I do! Props and models. Building ANH real graflex is what brought me here back in 2002. I have a Coyle BR blaster, a working Rylo Sandman flame gun, a Coyle original BSG blaster. A few E-11’s, helmets, and a lot of models including 2 Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprises. :) I have pictures in threads appropriate to those topics.

I do! Props and models. Building ANH real graflex is what brought me here back in 2002. I have a Coyle BR blaster, a working Rylo Sandman flame gun, a Coyle original BSG blaster. A few E-11’s, helmets, and a lot of models including 2 Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprises. :)

cool, i was just wondering. not to get off topic, but do you remember how much you paid for that graflex back in 02?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back