Subscribe
    From
    Midwest
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 2:49 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3926

If SOLO is being tagged as "the funniest Star Wars film," then I have very low hopes for it. I had heard several people say TLJ was super funny as well. I didn't laugh once during the film, and neither did anyone else in the audience...
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 2:49 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3927

The Wook said: View Post
    Lol...no it doesn't.

And as long as you persist in being the leader of your ilk, I will reference you.
    Can I get a scepter or something official?
    From
    Portland OR
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 2:50 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3928

your double standard selectivity has exposed your prejudices.

The Wook
    Some people could say the same about you
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 2:52 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3929

TheDavisBros said: View Post
    Some people could say the same about you
    They'd be wrong. I'm open about my prejudices. You try to conceal yours.
    From
    Portland OR
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 2:53 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3930

Bryancd said: View Post
    Isnt this supposed to be a prop forum, I'm sure someone can hook you up with a nice crown and staff thingy
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 2:54 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3931

Bryancd said: View Post
    You get something more valuable (to you) than that! You get to do KK's laundry for a year!
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 2:57 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3932

Oh wait...you're already doing that.
    From
    Portland OR
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 3:03 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3933

Oh wait...you're already doing that.
    I wish
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 5:37 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3934

Nobody liked that second Darren.
    I liked him fine, but the really important part of that quote was the "life goes on" part. The world didn't end because they replaced Darrin, and the world won't end with another actor playing Han Solo. Maybe you won't like the movie. Maybe it would have been better if they cast someone else. It will be ok either way. It's not that important.
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 6:04 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3935

tcsmit29 said: View Post
    I liked him fine, but the really important part of that quote was the "life goes on" part. The world didn't end because they replaced Darrin, and the world won't end with another actor playing Han Solo. Maybe you won't like the movie. Maybe it would have been better if they cast someone else. It will be ok either way. It's not that important.
    I find your lack of passion disturbing.
    From
    Terra Australis
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 6:04 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3936

Are we seriously comparing a change of Darren Stevens to a change of Han Solo`s? The two galaxies are so far far away from each other its laughable.
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 6:18 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3937

I find your lack of passion disturbing.
    First Becky or second Becky?
    First Vivian Banks or second Vivian Banks?
    First James Rhodes or second?
    First Bruce Banner or second?
    First Rachel Dawes or second?

Choose wisely, your WTFIQ score depends on it.

I'm being glib of course, but recasting comes in two different flavors-- those recast early in the history of the character, and those that come later. Then there's whether or not there was a change to the character along with it.

The first Darren was pretty well established and the second changed the character significantly. The first Becky was around longer, but the second was a much better actress. Hard one to call. Marvel's recasts may have seem jarring at first, but now their second string has much more screen time than the first.

But none of these are truly iconic characters that are also played by one actor primarily. On the opposite end of the spectrum, James Bond or Batman are major icons, but their recasting is a given at this point.

The only time I think we've seen something like this before is when the new Star Trek films were made. Kirk had only ever been played by one man. No matter how good or bad of job Chris Pine would do, to most people he would never be Kirk.

I wonder if we'd have been flipping out had the internet existed when River Phoenix or Sean Patrick Flannerly were cast as Young Indiana Jones. To me, that's the difference-- they aren't replacing Harrison Ford as Han Solo, they are casting a younger version of himself. It's not like this is going to be a series, or that he's going to star in more films (OR WILL HE). For now it's a one-off story about Solo's past, so ultimately I don't think it's a big deal.

It comes down to the role being so iconic, that the basic idea of recasting, under any excuse, the question becomes should you even bother doing it. Obviously, for a lot of people, that alone was a reason to not make this movie.

You guys are going to lose your minds in Indy 5 when Harrison Indy finds the Fountain of Youth and regenerates into Chris Pratt to continue the series....
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 6:25 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3938

Dudes....your really derailing this thread.

I love to hear from all of you here but can we stay a little more focused on subject instead of making things personal?

Don't care who started it or finishes it, move on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 10:38 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3939

Sorry!

I'm still all in on this movie and expect to come out wanting LANDO A Star Wars Story multigenerational take with Donal Glover and Billly Dee Williams.
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 11:03 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3940

If this movie goes well for Lando, I'd like to hear a little story about the Battle of Tanab.

16. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 12:29 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3941

Lol...no it doesn't.

And as long as you persist in being the leader of your ilk, I will reference you.

The Wook
    You guys can’t stop taking the ‘ Mickey ‘ out of each other huh !?

Seriously , No Offence Intended to either of you gentlemen ( @Bryancd & @The Wook ) , but I swear , reading the semi - affectionate slings you throw at each other at times , can’t help but remind me of Felix & Oscar ! ... But , which is which !?

Now , back to the Earth Shattering Issue at hand ...
    Last edited by gedmac66; 1 Week Ago at 12:37 AM.
  17. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 12:34 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3942

.... oops .... double post !
  18. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 1:14 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3943

SethS said: View Post
    I'm still all in on this movie and expect to come out wanting LANDO A Star Wars Story multigenerational take with Donal Glover and Billly Dee Williams.
    Donald Glover seems like a talented guy, but filling Lando's shoes seems just as hard as filling Han's. Billy Dee Williams has a singular charisma. Talk about carving a lot out of a few lines... just him saying "Hello, what have we here?" was like, Damn: a SW Legend is born.
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 1:28 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3944

Toadmeister said: View Post
    If this movie goes well for Lando, I'd like to hear a little story about the Battle of Tanab.

Accompanied by a young Lobot scandalously played by Tom Hardy.
  20. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 1:37 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3945

First Vivian Banks or second Vivian Banks?
    As hilarious as this example is, strangely it was one of the first recastings I experienced watching TV as a kid, and it was quite jarring for the same reason I find the HS casting with AE jarring: they simply look/speak/move nothing alike. I get that they don't have to be mirror images of each other, but they could have dared to achieve something besides "brown haired white guy" as their standard of commonality IMHO.

I mean, for Leia and Tarkin in Rogue 1, they created digital reproductions. It seems inexplicably inconsistent to go to this extreme to mesh a character's appearance between two films in one case, and then recast a character using a completely different looking actor in another case as if commonality of appearance means nothing.
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 1:49 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3946

To be honest, Theres a couple looks in the trailer, mainly when he looks over his shoulder in the speeder chase, and the final shot where I think he totally looks the part.

...and I always liked how Jazz knew she was different. He also noticed how Nicky did the sitcom baby to toddler shift.
  22. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 6:36 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3947

I mean, for Leia and Tarkin in Rogue 1, they created digital reproductions. It seems inexplicably inconsistent to go to this extreme to mesh a character's appearance between two films in one case, and then recast a character using a completely different looking actor in another case as if commonality of appearance means nothing.
    It's about what is better for each situation.

The less time we spend with the replacement actor, the more the physical appearance matters. The more screen time, the more their overall mojo starts to take top priority.
    From
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 7:03 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3948

batguy said: View Post
    It's about what is better for each situation.

The less time we spend with the replacement actor, the more the physical appearance matters. The more screen time, the more their overall mojo starts to take top priority.
    True.

But in addition to that, the environment matters. When CGI characters are in a dimly lit environment, they tend to look better, compared to when they're in a brightly lit environment. Tarkin was in a dimly lit dark walled ship, and looked much better than Leia, who was in a brightly lit, white walled ship.

It's tough to hide the main character of a movie in dimly lit environments for 2 hours. Unless you're Gollum, in The Two Towers.

The Wook
    From
    Burlington Vermont U.S.A.
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 11:37 AM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3949

How much dialogue do we think Han will really have in this movie? It is his film but there is a huge support apparatus built around him. Strong supporting cast as well as fight scenes, chase scenes, 'splosions, space battles etc. I suspect he won't be monologuing like Macbeth. For that reason I think it would have made more sense to get someone who looked more like Ford for the role. Although it is called 'Solo' I don't think he alone is going to carry the movie.
    From
    Portland OR
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 12:04 PM - Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story #3950

To be honest, Theres a couple looks in the trailer, mainly when he looks over his shoulder in the speeder chase, and the final shot where I think he totally looks the part.

...and I always liked how Jazz knew she was different. He also noticed how Nicky did the sitcom baby to toddler shift.
    I thought the exact same thing with the over the shoulder speeder shot