Solo: A Star Wars Story

Isn't NFL viewership down quite a bit? Have ad rates fallen in response to that? OT I know...
The drop in NFL viewership matches the drop in overall broadcast primetime. A thirty second Super Bowl ad costs $7.7 million, up from last years' $5 million.

The drop in NFL viewership matches the drop in overall broadcast primetime. A thirty second Super Bowl ad costs $7.7 million, up from last years' $5 million.

And if you think about it, Disney doesn't really need to spend that premium to get eyes on a Star Wars trailer. It will happen no matter when they release it. Not saying they won't still opt to do something for the Super Bowl, but they certainly don't have to.

Such as? Please give a few examples.

Half of Will Smith, Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Karl Urban, Nicolas Cage, Gerard Butler movies are not that great a story. But I like those actors. Maybe "terrible" was the wrong word. More like unappealing.

But thanks for asking :D

Half of Will Smith, Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Karl Urban, Nicolas Cage, Gerard Butler movies are not that great a story. But I like those actors. Maybe "terrible" was the wrong word. More like unappealing.

But thanks for asking :D

With the exception of Nic Cage, none of those people are great actors like you said in your previous post. And even Nic's best days are behind him. I get that you like them and enjoy their performances, but great actors? C'mon.

I halfway wonder if this film won't be a rehash of Cannonball Run...

If only we were so lucky...

IMG_4991.JPG

Zero chance of a Johnson trilogy. Either as writer or director. Its back top small budget stuff for him.

His performance on twitter is as terrible as the wallpaper in his rather modestly stocked library.
Oh the trilogy is totally happening. The majority of audience's (nixing china) did like 8.

But LF did say Rian was only writing and directing the first installment, and producing the others. He may write and direct the the two but we dont know.

Oh the trilogy is totally happening. The majority of audience's (nixing china) did like 8.
I don't disagree with you one bit - I think there's a small group of "haters" - they're a small group but they can be very, very loud voicing that opinion. There are those among us that will dispute this from now until doomsday.

While I'll agree that monetary intake doesn't always equate quality, it still made more money domestically than any other movie last year (and in only two weeks time). Actual scoring from moviegoers show an 89% and 5 stars from Cinemascore. Rotten Tomatoes* shows a 91% favorability rating from reviewers, and a 49% from the "audience." ComScore has 1,000 people grade the film upon exiting the theater - 89% rated it positively. Even the poll here on the RPF also shows a very close race between liking/not liking...

*I'll put on my own tinfoil hat for this one :lol ... Rotten Tomatoes has shown that it's audience score is... unreliable. There have been posts either in Facebook groups, 4Chan and places like that bragging about bot bombing the site to give TLJ a bad audience scoring. Some sites have investigated to find a substantial number of TLJ reviews come from new accounts with no other reviews. One site said they found 61% of TLJ reviews where new accounts and a third of those accounts either deleted their accounts or had their accounts deleted after registering (suggesting RT deleted them). Whether this is true or not... I don't know - I do tend to believe that there was some tampering, others might not. I'll take off my tinfoil hat now.

How are you defining "majority"?
What figures are you using?
And where did you get them?

I had said this in the TLJ thread and although off topic here you asked the question. There are three objective measures you can use to gauge a films popularity. Box office total, critical reviews, audience opinions. These are data points that can be quantified. For TLJ, two of the three were very positive. Audience reaction data has been an outlier only in the RT score. That data isn’t supported by the other entities which track audience opinions. So it makes the numbers suspect. When in doubt you then toss out the audience scoring and rely on the other two to come to a conclusion.

There are three objective measures you can use to gauge a films popularity. Box office total, critical reviews, audience opinions. These are data points that can be quantified. For TLJ, two of the three were very positive. Audience reaction data has been an outlier only in the RT score. That data isn’t supported by the other entities which track audience opinions. So it makes the numbers suspect. When in doubt you then toss out the audience scoring and rely on the other two to come to a conclusion.

FWIW, for anyone that doesn't frequent the Jedi Council message boards, it's pretty much the de facto "official" SW board. Some hardcore fans there; lots of them.

After TFA, that place was buzzing; lots of love, some hate, but conversation aplenty, as the new characters were interesting and woven with enough mystery to sustain months of fun dialogue. Just weeks after TLJ, that place's ST section ground to a freaking halt. No one cared. What's to discuss? I mean, these are people that know how to dissect a SW movie, and have fun doing it. But they didn't.

TLJ had so much raw material to work with and somehow managed to dial it all back. It introduced a couple of new characters that no one really cared about. No sense getting into details (again).

So, yeah...numbers. If every marginal SW fan/parent/friend goes and sees it once, there's your box office (you can thank TFA for a lot of that). Critical reviews...there are conspiracy theories supporting Disney and critic's press screening access to combat those of these "bot fan reviews".

But as a fan, the numbers (to me) are actually what is shadows and dust. Being a niche item to a lot of us old-school fans, a proper Star Wars movie might not even top the box office anymore; it now incorporates a lot of whiz-bang optical stuff, suffering narratives, and heightened pace to appeal to the masses. So when I want to gauge where SW is at quality-wise, I look at the people that really hang their hat on Star Wars, and too many of those people simply don't seem to give a damn right now.

Sorry if that reads kind of pissy; it's not meant to be towards you at all; I guess I'm still angry that SW is quickly becoming a non-factor with many people (me?), and it sucks to write that out. :-\

If they're smart, they'll base the trilogy ENTIRELY on new characters that will be accessible to new audiences, and perhaps even make it a sci-fi adaptation of some beloved Chinese epic that Chinese audiences are comfortable with. Kinda like if the movies were tanking in Japan so they did a 47 Ronin version of Jedi in the aftermath of Order 66 or something. That might draw in those Chinese customers without any real risk to worldwide sales (no Americans scoffed at TLJ for riffing on Kurosawa, to continue the Japanese analogy, for instance).

There are three objective measures you can use to gauge a films popularity. Box office total, critical reviews, audience opinions. These are data points that can be quantified.

If the industry had half a brain then "audience opinion of the previous installment of the series" would be the 4th factor on that list. You cannot expect to follow huge audience disappointment (even if that previous one sold well) without losing some money on the next one over it. And vice versa.

They mess up their predictions & appraisals of franchise movies on a regular basis because of its effects. It amazes me that this still hasn't sunk in.

I had said this in the TLJ thread and although off topic here you asked the question. There are three objective measures you can use to gauge a films popularity. Box office total, critical reviews, audience opinions. These are data points that can be quantified. For TLJ, two of the three were very positive. Audience reaction data has been an outlier only in the RT score. That data isn’t supported by the other entities which track audience opinions. So it makes the numbers suspect. When in doubt you then toss out the audience scoring and rely on the other two to come to a conclusion.

Metacritic has a user score of 4.5/10. That would be like a 45% score for TLJ on RT. A lot of people just didn't like TLJ, Bryan.

And critics will like anything if you give them favors like opening night passes and bags of swag. Which makes them even more suspect than any audience score.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of my friends (45+) disliked TLJ. None of us had anything good to say/discuss about it. The fact that RJ is going to helm 3 future films is a horrific thought. SW isn't about politics,PC notions,feminist movements,or stupid diversity one keeps reading about.

It's about heroes taking on the bad guys and winning the day with awesome spaceships,props, visuals, to back up a great adventure story.

All of my friends (45+) disliked TLJ. None of us had anything good to say/discuss about it. The fact that RJ is going to helm 3 future films is a horrific thought. SW isn't about politics,PC notions,feminist movements,or stupid diversity one keeps reading about.

It's about heroes taking on the bad guys and winning the day with awesome spaceships,props, visuals, to back up a great adventure story.

There`s absolutely no doubt that a new trilogy will be made but its becoming more and more obvious that Johnson will not be involved so all hope is not lost it wont inspire and entertain everyone.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back