Solo: A Star Wars Story

Im sure the trailer will look great. There will probably be a little film made before release much in the same vein that TLJ had, you know, the one with all the slo mo stuff and the red stuff exploding all over the camera. Even made me want to go and see it. Then the harsh reality of seeing the final product......

Theres no way Im going to pay good money to see this till well after the first week at best. Fool me once........

Lets be honest, given the number of changes to this through reshoots and script changes does anybody have a clue what the story will be like?
Remember "Rogue One" ?

I imagine Lucasfilm and Disney are very well aware just how much antipathy exists towards this film, particularly over the choice of the lead actor. So getting it in some way towards the rightside of the original trilogy will have to have been a huge priority for them.

Given that they fired the first two directors ,have heavily rewritten and extensively reshot alot of it , then faced a barrage of very heavy critisism from some quarters of the fanbase over decisions made with both character and story choice in "The Last Jedi", its not really surprising they are taking their time over this.

Even the slightest whiff that there is something a bit off is going to whip up a storm over the social media platforms. Nothing sells on the internet these days like bad news or even just a hint of it, because it acts as clickbait and it racks up the earnings of everybody who posts and gets good viewing figures , especially on You tube. Call me Mr Cynical but it seems to really pay these days to drive people into a kind of mass hysteria that feeds of the vitriol or rumours. Not that its not funny to watch on occasion.

The main cast, with the possible exception of Alden, is pretty strong. And given that he has been given more time and direction to get Solos character closer to expectations is probably a good thing,even with the rumoured additional coaching. The effects work is going to be well up to scratch, given that most of the major effects scenes will have been unaffected by the reshoots and tend to be worked out in previz months before anyway.

Remember this movie is not in anyway on the scale of the new trilogy, its a much smaller cast, more character focused and driven and its therefore likely the performances and scripting have got to be better with the reshoot. I'll bet a fair number of uncredited writers have been quietly brought in to doctor the script. I doubt the star salaries are anyway near as vast as the cost of TLJ, and alot of the FX and propwork will have been recycled from other SW movies anyway, so this isn't going to damage bottom line critically.

Its probably as much a strong test on how a live TV series could be done in the future as much as anything else by my reckoning.

And overall, with that in mind this may help to establish whether making movies (and TV shows) specifically tailored towards the OT fans are worth the investment. It certainly worked with R1, which is by far my favorite of all the new movies, and I would bet we don't get a decision on an Obi wan film or the live action series until well after Solo makes its debut and the feedback roles in.
I share many peoples concerns posted here. I didn't hate "TLJ", I was just hugely disappointed in it, what it did with the story and ultimately I don't give a damn about the outcome of any of the remaining characters . Others love it and at $1.3 billion in BO receipts Disney and Lucasfilm are not going to be going collapse into crisis any day soon.
But I really do hope that Solo goes someway to restoring my enjoyment of these movies by being a bit of a throwback to the OT.

Theres no way Im going to pay good money to see this till well after the first week at best. Fool me once........

I said that too, after TLJ. But I think my compromise is going to be that I'm still going to do a late night show on opening day, but I'm going alone. I think I've found that wondering what my guest thinks of the film is as much of a stressor as anything.

I said that too, after TLJ. But I think my compromise is going to be that I'm still going to do a late night show on opening day, but I'm going alone. I think I've found that wondering what my guest thinks of the film is as much of a stressor as anything.

I always try and go to the important movies alone the first time and on opening day, much better for focus. But I dont deem this important enough for opening day and if you get burned enough you know to keep away from the flame.

ADDITION..Besides, I`m saving my money for Deadpool 2

Last edited:
Lets be honest, given the number of changes to this through reshoots and script changes does anybody have a clue what the story will be like?
Remember "Rogue One" ?

I imagine Lucasfilm and Disney are very well aware just how much antipathy exists towards this film, particularly over the choice of the lead actor. So getting it in some way towards the rightside of the original trilogy will have to have been a huge priority for them.

Given that they fired the first two directors ,have heavily rewritten and extensively reshot alot of it , then faced a barrage of very heavy critisism from some quarters of the fanbase over decisions made with both character and story choice in "The Last Jedi", its not really surprising they are taking their time over this.

Even the slightest whiff that there is something a bit off is going to whip up a storm over the social media platforms. Nothing sells on the internet these days like bad news or even just a hint of it, because it acts as clickbait and it racks up the earnings of everybody who posts and gets good viewing figures , especially on You tube. Call me Mr Cynical but it seems to really pay these days to drive people into a kind of mass hysteria that feeds of the vitriol or rumours. Not that its not funny to watch on occasion.

The main cast, with the possible exception of Alden, is pretty strong. And given that he has been given more time and direction to get Solos character closer to expectations is probably a good thing,even with the rumoured additional coaching. The effects work is going to be well up to scratch, given that most of the major effects scenes will have been unaffected by the reshoots and tend to be worked out in previz months before anyway.

Remember this movie is not in anyway on the scale of the new trilogy, its a much smaller cast, more character focused and driven and its therefore likely the performances and scripting have got to be better with the reshoot. I'll bet a fair number of uncredited writers have been quietly brought in to doctor the script. I doubt the star salaries are anyway near as vast as the cost of TLJ, and alot of the FX and propwork will have been recycled from other SW movies anyway, so this isn't going to damage bottom line critically.

Its probably as much a strong test on how a live TV series could be done in the future as much as anything else by my reckoning.

And overall, with that in mind this may help to establish whether making movies (and TV shows) specifically tailored towards the OT fans are worth the investment. It certainly worked with R1, which is by far my favorite of all the new movies, and I would bet we don't get a decision on an Obi wan film or the live action series until well after Solo makes its debut and the feedback roles in.
I share many peoples concerns posted here. I didn't hate "TLJ", I was just hugely disappointed in it, what it did with the story and ultimately I don't give a damn about the outcome of any of the remaining characters . Others love it and at $1.3 billion in BO receipts Disney and Lucasfilm are not going to be going collapse into crisis any day soon.
But I really do hope that Solo goes someway to restoring my enjoyment of these movies by being a bit of a throwback to the OT.

As I am of the opinion Lawerence Kasdan initiated the Lord and Miller firing, and since he wrote the script, I doubt they had to do a lot of additional story work.

As I am of the opinion Lawerence Kasdan initiated the Lord and Miller firing, and since he wrote the script, I doubt they had to do a lot of additional story work.

I dont think the story work will be the problem. Great actors can play a terrible story and still make it a good movie.

While we all wait for any bit of footage of this movie, I just feel the need to offer up my two cents:

I don't know how many of you feel, as I haven't perused this thread much at all, but my expectations for this film couldn't be any lower. Amidst what I've believed to be a stupid idea for a film from the start AND the crazy drama that happened with the production, I would be surprised if it ends up being decent. To be honest, I have no interest in seeing a movie featuring Han Solo played by anyone but Harrison Ford, even if Han Solo is one of my favorite SW characters. Additionally, the fact that we are just 4 months away and still no trailer is extremely worrisome.

I do know that I'm in the minority here in that I felt that Rogue One was not very great. Underneath its beautiful OT-esque filter, I think it's an overrated film. As much as I love the OT, and believe me I love the OT, I don't have much interest in continually revisiting the same 4-5 years in this universe. Even though the ST has its flaws, I'm much more interested in seeing that story continue.

I'm starting to wish that Disney/LFL would dial back on this franchise. And that's coming from someone to which Star Wars is practically oxygen... Until Disney/LFL convinces me that they can crank out new, fresh, and good ideas that aren't undermined by bad writing and unnecessary characters cough TLJ cough, I'd much rather them release a movie every 2-3 years. Eventually, general audiences are going to get A) confused where we even are in the timeline and B) burned out of the franchise altogether. And that is the last thing I want to happen.

Here's hoping that Solo: A Star Wars Story is actually pretty good and not Solo: Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid.

While we all wait for any bit of footage of this movie, I just feel the need to offer up my two cents:

I don't know how many of you feel, as I haven't perused this thread much at all, but my expectations for this film couldn't be any lower. Amidst what I've believed to be a stupid idea for a film from the start AND the crazy drama that happened with the production, I would be surprised if it ends up being decent. To be honest, I have no interest in seeing a movie featuring Han Solo played by anyone but Harrison Ford, even if Han Solo is one of my favorite SW characters. Additionally, the fact that we are just 4 months away and still no trailer is extremely worrisome.

I do know that I'm in the minority here in that I felt that Rogue One was not very great. Underneath its beautiful OT-esque filter, I think it's an overrated film. As much as I love the OT, and believe me I love the OT, I don't have much interest in continually revisiting the same 4-5 years in this universe. Even though the ST has its flaws, I'm much more interested in seeing that story continue.

I'm starting to wish that Disney/LFL would dial back on this franchise. And that's coming from someone to which Star Wars is practically oxygen... Until Disney/LFL convinces me that they can crank out new, fresh, and good ideas that aren't undermined by bad writing and unnecessary characters cough TLJ cough, I'd much rather them release a movie every 2-3 years. Eventually, general audiences are going to get A) confused where we even are in the timeline and B) burned out of the franchise altogether. And that is the last thing I want to happen.

Here's hoping that Solo: A Star Wars Story is actually pretty good and not Solo: Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid.

Many of us have also lowered our expectations. They literally had to rush and remake nearly the whole thing because they hired two comedy directors and got a comedy. They should have found a movie with the tone they liked and hired that guy. And I agree, no trailer, no press tour, no anything. Just Ron Howard sending out the occasional picture from on set...and of course news about all the problems on set.

R1 is a whole topic unto itself, but I also did not think it was all that great a movie.

It seems more like they are accelerating the schedule on SW movies. we got a year between TFA, R1, and TLJ, but only half a year to Solo. Ewan McGregor's new beard might as well be a billboard for the Kenobi movie. Part 9 is also presumably being worked on for a 2019 holiday release and RJ is doing his trilogy. I foresee a two-per-year schedule, like Marvel.

I have to admit, I might already be a little burned out. And I'm not even interested in RJ's trilogy anymore. I just don't think he can handle it, based on how TLJ turned out.

Zero chance of a Johnson trilogy. Either as writer or director. Its back top small budget stuff for him.

His performance on twitter is as terrible as the wallpaper in his rather modestly stocked library.

Given the length of the reshoots and the fact they have had to add even more scenes into it recently I'd say its a fair bet alot of it has been rewritten and additional writers have been brought in to add to the script. Thats not uncommon but we'll never know the extent of it (remember Carrie did alot of that kind of work).
And whilst Lawrence and Jon Kasdan no doubt influenced the removal of the original directors, theres a good chance the dailies heavily tipped the balance as well and given all the changes I'd bet they were rewriting all the time to make character scenes and dialogue better.
I personally like the fact its a small cast and the story more like a "western". Apart from my obvious misgivings about Alden I really like the rest of them and of course I'm strongly influenced by the fact the Falcon is stage and centre in this, so there is going to be alot of spacecraft action. Certainly the number of stunt people used on this shoot seems a bit higher than you'd expect to see.
And the locations are glorious. I've only been through the Dolomites once in my life and they are stunning . Fuertevntura looks beautiful as well though whether they shot towards the shoreline or on the more volcanic parts is one to guess at. But I can easily picture the Falcon sailing over and into the distance in any of those shots. Thats primarily why I don't think it will be a real disappointment for me, there are the more familair OT elements that I enjoy amoungst the newer.
We'll have to wait and see.

it reaks of desperation on Disney's part.

We all saw what Warner did with Zack Snyder's movie, they butchered it and in the end you get a bastardised version of what should have been a non cheesy take on the characters.

I expect no different here, you have a movie where the lead actor apparently has to be coached in how to act, and then have to get Ron Howard to come on board to reshoot everything.
And some of Ron Howards last few outings have been suspect.

All in all, its not really something thats exciting or worth watching on cinema. I'd wait for the dvd or blu ray.

I expect no different here, you have a movie where the lead actor apparently has to be coached in how to act, and then have to get Ron Howard to come on board to reshoot everything.
And some of Ron Howards last few outings have been suspect.

What gives me a little bit of hope is the fact that Ron Howard IS A SEASONED DIRECTOR!!! Something you cannot say of Rian Johnson. Ron Howard is old school. He knows his stuff. While I am not too fond of a lot of the stories he told in his movies, his craftsmanship is top notch. I can say that I am really curious about Han Solos story, I hope they do not retcon his character too much into a doofus, but show what made the man. Ron Howard can do this, because he has a few character pics under his belt. He knows how to do comedy and fantasy. He is a fracking veteran. And I must say that I feel that we NEED veterans!!!

I’ll just chime in with a different take here: I’m super excited for Solo.
I’m hoping for a really fun adventure movie. I love Ford as much as the next guy but like anything in life, if it’s not able to be put through a different prism, it’s doomed to be forgotten. I, at this point, can look past a different person playing the role.

I’m most excited, however, at the prospect of what designs could be in this film. What I’m assuming will be Han’s world at this stage of his life will lend itself to what I love about Star Wars - the weapons and armour and vehicles and costumes and make-up of a bunch of smugglers, bounty hunters, criminals and alien races that I’m HOPING this movie will feature.
I loved TLJ but a lot of that was very organic - lots of water and rock and fire and not enough ‘cantina’ type grime.

Anyway, hanging out for this trailer guys! I can’t wait to check my phone and see that it’s online for me to watch!

Cheers,

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What gives me a little bit of hope is the fact that Ron Howard IS A SEASONED DIRECTOR!!! Something you cannot say of Rian Johnson. Ron Howard is old school. He knows his stuff. While I am not too fond of a lot of the stories he told in his movies, his craftsmanship is top notch. I can say that I am really curious about Han Solos story, I hope they do not retcon his character too much into a doofus, but show what made the man. Ron Howard can do this, because he has a few character pics under his belt. He knows how to do comedy and fantasy. He is a fracking veteran. And I must say that I feel that we NEED veterans!!!

Ron Howard is the only thing that gives me any hope for this movie.

Ron Howard has the chops to flip this thing, but that STILL won't get me to pay my hard earned money without seeing a handful of audience reviews. He's a great director, but he isn't infallible.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back