Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Well remember George came very close to having a young Han live with Chewie in episode III.

I believe Kathleen Kennedy (I'm not really sure - please correct me if I'm wrong) said there will be no more children (as main characters) involved in future SW movies.

Bond was never a reboot until the Craig years.

When Lazenby's character got married and widowered, it was Connery who went coming for revenge, Moore who laid flowers at his wifes grave, and Dalton and Brosnan who winced at her memory being brought up.

And when Bond was recast, Connery had already appeared in more films as Bond than Ford has as Solo.

This franchise is likely go on forever now, so this wont be the last time they recast the parts, the first time will always be the hardest to accept, and it will be a thankless task, but at the end of the day, kids wont care.
Maybe "soft reboot" may've been a better term to use - Bond's character changed with each actor playing him.

Ford's been the only Han Solo for nearly 39 years now, whereas Connery wasn't even the first Bond.

I thought the stand alone movies were supposed to be about people OTHER than the main characters?

From what I heard this afternoon, about the actor to be chosen, we wont be happy. Han wont have the Falcon as he will be in his teens. The Falcon film set was made to stand for years with trilogy productions scheduled around it to be used in the Han movie. Im wondering if he is to be employed on the Falcon as opposed to owning it. He does offer Rey a job in TFA which also makes me wonder if that gun Han gives Rey is his first sidearm as the Han movie concept art shows something very similar. Sort of ties in the hanging over the Falcon to the next gen. There was also a concept of Han in a flightsuit which I assume will be the Imperial Academy. The other concept I had seen was sort of ranch\/western style in appearance. There was a girl concept as well but I didnt get to see much other than notice it was a girl. There was a major spoiler in the concepts as far as ships go that you guys will likely guess right away.

If the casting holds true, im going to have serious doubts about this one. The look HAS to be right. If not it will be instant fan alienation.

The Bond analogy doesn't apply here as far as I'm concerned. Bond recasting is frankly a special case as each exists in their own continuity for the most part. Bond movies as a whole are not one continuous tale but could almost be seen as an alternate reality and that makes recasting more palatable. This Han Solo movie is most certainly a part of a bigger, existing whole and the time before ANH is far too short to just slap a black vest on some Joe Blow and disregard the fact they look nothing like the character we see 5-10 short years later. If it were 20 years before ANH, then yes, they obviously have room to fudge but the fact of the matter is Han would not look terribly different 5-10 years prior to ANH and I will have a very hard time accepting some "pretty boy" who looks and acts nothing like Ford as Han Solo. Ingruber at least looks like Ford and has studied Ford's quirks and mannerisms. The guys that are supposedly on the short list aren't exactly thespianic powerhouses either so the "Ingruber can't act" argument falls flat for me...

Yes, looking at the claimed shortlist, none of those actors are thespians, more like flavour of the day teen idols.
Regardless of whether a person starts off with impressions or not, its the overall package, if the guy doesn't at least sound or give the vibe of Ford, then it will be a problem, as thats the aim, to have a young Ford type on screen.

It remains to be seen who gets the role, but that Ingruber guy sure can do a good Harrison Ford voice and mannerisms.
Whether a full on acting role is in his capabilities, well thats up to Disney and co.

The other actors on the shortlist though don't strike me as anything special whatsoever, just generic flavours of the month, hardly God's of acting!

We've all been saying it in one way or another - this project will sink or swim based on the casting. If Disney is thinking teen idols then I suggest we vote with our wallets.

It's just a bad idea. Everything about this movie will be contested. They are setting themselves up to fail.

So why do it?

Invent more characters. It will sell. There is no doubt. Look at Deadpool. The casual audience had never heard of him. It sold like hotcakes. Anything with star wars in the title will sell. Once they realize that, the films will get way better

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Totally agree. This movie is happening because Kasdan liked the character but there's just so many ways for this to go terribly wrong that in my mind it will be a miracle if they can pull it off. I just don't see that it's worth opening this can or worms when we have so much more to explore and see that also wouldn't be so highly contentious. Ignoring a guy that looks and sounds like a young Harrison Ford and potentially casting some generic teen idol that looks ripped from the pages of Tiger Beat (is that still around?) lol) certainly isn't an encouraging first step.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I heard this afternoon, about the actor to be chosen, we wont be happy. Han wont have the Falcon as he will be in his teens. The Falcon film set was made to stand for years with trilogy productions scheduled around it to be used in the Han movie. Im wondering if he is to be employed on the Falcon as opposed to owning it. He does offer Rey a job in TFA which also makes me wonder if that gun Han gives Rey is his first sidearm as the Han movie concept art shows something very similar. Sort of ties in the hanging over the Falcon to the next gen. There was also a concept of Han in a flightsuit which I assume will be the Imperial Academy. The other concept I had seen was sort of ranch\/western style in appearance. There was a girl concept as well but I didnt get to see much other than notice it was a girl. There was a major spoiler in the concepts as far as ships go that you guys will likely guess right away.

If the casting holds true, im going to have serious doubts about this one. The look HAS to be right. If not it will be instant fan alienation.

Oh great...:facepalm

And I'm guessing Slave I was in the mix...

Yes, looking at the claimed shortlist, none of those actors are thespians, more like flavour of the day teen idols.

Well one of them was in a very successful film that also featured Mark Hammill.

And let us not forget that prior to star wars, Harrison Ford was in two films, one of which he only appeared in one scene.

Here's a thought. How about everyone relax and just wait and see what they do rather then all the nonsense hyperbole. I'm all for giving them the chance rather then trial by internet nonsense. If you decide to not see a film that hasn't been made based on no information I can't say I'm going to be very interested in your opinion on anything.

Here's a thought. How about everyone relax and just wait and see what they do rather then all the nonsense hyperbole. I'm all for giving them the chance rather then trial by internet nonsense. If you decide to not see a film that hasn't been made based on no information I can't say I'm going to be very interested in your opinion on anything.

Fair enough. We'll see how this turns out. I try to stay optimistic about these things but I'm having a hard time with this one.

I'll just be over the moon if half these future movies appeal to me. Surely they've got to at least get 50% of them right. I'd be really happy with that or above. While this sounds iffy at the moment I'm willing to wait before I judge it. The one I'm looking forward to most at the moment is Rogue One. :)

Ben

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back