Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

A member of the Trek Prop Zone designed and sells a leather pouch for The Wand Company Communicator. Here are some pictures and a contact email address if you'd like to order one.

karl@skin-job.com
USD $99.00 each with or without arrowhead logo
USD $15.00 insured, tracked shipping

View attachment 639838View attachment 639839View attachment 639840

Since the pouch was designed around The Wand Co. communicator, it's a perfect fit.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spent several hours with the communicator on my belt, hanging out at the Air and Space Museum, checking out the excellent restoration job on the Enterprise. The Velcro works great, loved the delight on people's faces when they asked me if they could take a picture and I pulled the communicator out from behind me. :)

I wondered if it would stick to the charger and actually charge through the extra thickness of some Velcro, so I tried it with a piece of Velcro just placed behind it. Works fine.

So I stuck Velcro on it. :)

On one hand, I feel like I'm adulterating a beautiful prop. On the other hand, the originals had Velcro on them, so on some level I'm making it more accurate. ;)

Update: It appears to charge just fine but doesn't know when it's done. It kept glowing red/yellow past the point where it should have been done charging. Peeling the Velcro off the back, it glows blue/green. Put the Velcro back, red/yellow. So it looks like if I do use it with Velcro I'll have to peel it off before charging or (possibly) risk overcharging it. A bummer, but oh well.

(A holster is a nice idea but I'm trying to be accurate to the show.)

Last edited:
I have a charging question. Does the charging LED ever stop showing brief periods of red/yellow once the charge level starts showing (mostly) green/blue?

-tnx,
Jeff

I have a charging question. Does the charging LED ever stop showing brief periods of red/yellow once the charge level starts showing (mostly) green/blue?

-tnx,
Jeff

The base will stop charging when complete, but start again as needed so you will see a red/yellow indicator from time to time.

Update: It appears to charge just fine but doesn't know when it's done. It kept glowing red/yellow past the point where it should have been done charging. Peeling the Velcro off the back, it glows blue/green. Put the Velcro back, red/yellow. So it looks like if I do use it with Velcro I'll have to peel it off before charging or (possibly) risk overcharging it. A bummer, but oh well.

According to someone else's post about the same thing on trekpropzone, it isn't that it doesn't know when to stop, but that it's taking longer to charge in the first place. The thickness of the Velcro is enough to block enough of the, um, juice signal (?), so that it only charges very slowly. In theory if you left it long enough it would fully charge. But it seems that would be a very long time.

In my case, as soon as I removed the velcro, it did the green/blue glow (fully charged), putting the Velcro back, it went to red/yellow (charging), and removing the Velcro it went back to green/blue. So I'm not 100% sure what's going on.

I'm happy as a clam with my wand comm..I don't personally see any need for any "upgrades" as for me its just a TV watchers version..

I'm hoping that if you ordered from think geek through UPS and have yet to recieve it, you are aware that a handful of communicators were involved either along the track or onboard one of the two trains that derailed leading to loss of life and a fire, in Texas June 28th. UPS has yet to release details so if you want, check tracking info to be sure yours is not possibly lost/delayed like mine and another's so far. I am hoping that they will be delivered intact. 2 are confirmed dead in this incident and 1 missing. This is very sad, and please join me in condolences to the families of the lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, have any of you had this problem with your Wand communicator? I flipped it open and Spock said "Enterprise, Spock here" and I told him to beam me up, and I've been standing here for, like, an hour, and they haven't beamed me up yet. Is there some other button I should be pressing?

Yes, I see the problem, Spock did not run the transporters, duh...................................

:lol :thumbsup

I'm really digging my shiny new piece of 1960s tech! ;) However...one thing I've noticed when paired to my Android Motorola, the volume of the responding Google voice (e.g. when asking for the weather forecast or similar) starts low then gradually gets louder. Anyone else noticed this? Not sure if it's a quirk of the phone or the Communicator.

I like the idea of putting velcro on the back of mine in order to attach it to my belt, but I worry about the charging situation. Has anyone tried adding a piece of metal/earth magnet to loop a belt through and have the magnet hold it (seeing as that is how it stays on the charger)? Not sure if the magnet is strong enough, but I thought it would be one way to go.

Last edited:

(A holster is a nice idea but I'm trying to be accurate to the show.)

Any updates on the velcro situation. Have you tried cutting a bit from the bottom area? I don't like the idea of a holster for it and hoping to find a fix to attach it to my belt.

I bought some velcro and tried every configuration possible: full piece on back, half piece on back, only thin strips on the back around the perimeter (thinking it would not block the charging cell), and nothing worked as far as the communicator taking a full charge and the light turning to the green/blue light. I would rather not use a case and have it attach to the belt as it did in the series. I also tried attaching it to a piece of metal that would loop on the belt, but I don't think the magnet is strong enough to hold it on the belt if bumped, etc. Let us know if anyone comes up with something that actually works.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back