Poncho's Mulit-shot Grenade Launcher from Predator

This is a really neat coincidence and an excellent find. I'm glad that somebody who realized the history picked it up. Predator '87 was one of my favorite movies and this brings back a lot of fond memories.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build on the piece.

It would be interesting to see what happened to some of the other pieces used in the film. It's unlikely that this was the only one cannibalized for other productions.

It looks more like sticks of something in some kinda cloth pouches wrapped over the grip area, rather than just a solid structure.

It is tough to say since there are multiple guns and each is different, but I think you are close to correct. I believe on the original there is a thin metal shell and they have wrapped some sort of ribbed rubber matting around it. It is the only explanation I have been able to come up with that answers all the discrepancies. From what I can see there are at least three guns in the film... all slightly different.

I spent the entire holiday weekend working on this project. Made for serious headway on the receiver and the barrel.

predator-poncho-grenade-launcher-receiver-progress-2.JPG

predator-poncho-grenade-launcher-barrel-progress.jpg

Man how on earth did you initially match your item to the item from 'Braddock III: Missing in Action'? That is a niche movie to say the least.

Some days are simply better than others! I couldn't screen match the launcher until today. The launcher you see in the most clear scenes of the movie has a unbroken weld mark all the way around the barrel (as seen in the top photo). However, my barrel has a broken weld line around the barrel. Last night, I found a screen match (bottom photo)! You can even see the matching nib of the weld and the matching curvature of the weld marks which would be unique for each gun. While I was never in doubt about what this was, being able to match it makes it all that much more special to me!

And... this is why I went through 180,000+ frames in that movie.

Poncho Predator Grenade Launcher Match.jpg

It won't be long before it has been ten years that I have owned this piece. I am determined to get it completed for that date.

I am very close to finalizing the connector and upper receiver. I can't believe how long this has taken or the endless revisions it has gone through, but we are nearing the end of the project!
MGL-Model Update 2023.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back