Obi Wan ANH Crystal Chamber Lightsaber build.

Spirit of ob1

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone out there who has built these crystal chambers for the inspiration to make one of these :)

Here is a version of the crystal chamber I'm currently working on. This is a prototype, the final version will be machined from Aluminum.
And will be able to be connected to Romans Obi sabers without having to modify the actual saber. when done if anyone is interested will probably do a small run.
Since this is in its early stages, any ideas are welcomed.
also just wanted to point out that there will be more detailing to the chamber so its not so plain.

here are some of the early stage pics. ( forgive the imperfections, the final version will be machined )

basic cut out,

utf-8BSU1BRzAzODFfMS5qcGc_zps1f8452e6.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAzODQuanBn_zps8ce0bc82.jpg

Trying to figure out what to use for the 'crystal part" looking for something different instead of the standard crystal???
utf-8BSU1BRzAzODYuanBn_zpsc1707d2d.jpg

Side glowing fiber optics
utf-8BSU1BRzAzODcuanBn_zps49e4df67.jpg

Led on,
utf-8BSU1BRzAzOTAuanBn_zps28c25e5b.jpg

Here is a photshoped pic with the brass tubes installed so the wires can pass through...
Currently looking for some more detailed tubes so they don't look so plain.
brass_zpsq4rj70ud.jpg

brass_zpsq4rj70ud.jpg

Last edited:
I like your crystal design over the usual chunk-o-crystal.

It looks like something that would actually focus energy into a saber blade.

How do you plan to hold the booster and hand wheel together with this chamber in the middle of the saber? Without the fx versions that screw together, I can't figure out how you'd do it. I've been trying to figure it out to do something like this myself.

How do you plan to hold the booster and hand wheel together with this chamber in the middle of the saber? Without the fx versions that screw together, I can't figure out how you'd do it. I've been trying to figure it out to do something like this myself.

The chamber will actually be able to hold the booster and hand wheel by set screws, but this first version will need to have the Fx Version from Roman. But I do have something for everyone else that do not have the Fx version. :) for the most part people use the threaded rod, so the alternate version will have a threaded rod at the end of the chamber

Looking great! I did like the "braided" version more than the straight look though.
Just my two credits.

I'm a crystal fan.
But what about a combination of both.
Something like a lit crystal on the pommel side of the saber and your fibers lit from the other side facing the crystal from above (the emitter side)?
I think the fiber would be great to absorb the energy beam after focused by the crystal.

good idea, I might try that,

here is a painted version of where this is going. I know it looks a little rough.. but as soon as I can get a aluminum machined proto it will look
a lot better. There will be groves on the chamber sides. I just need to figure out how to dress it up before we start with the real proto.

anyone know of any nice looking copper tubes I could use? I know I could machine them, but I need the wires to feed through them and the walls are extremely thin.
any ideas?

utf-8BSU1BRzA0MzlfMS5qcGc_zps8d8d1174.jpg

this side is not done yet, just wanted to show the glow effect.
utf-8BSU1BRzA0NDVfMS5qcGc_zpsba6e35f4.jpg

if I use these the tips will light up,
utf-8BSU1BRzA0MzMuanBn_zps199f5fb8.jpg

Indeed . . . though it's very funny to see how the set up of a chrystal chamber are mostly much derived from the ones made by Howard and Slothfurnace positioned in the clamp section ... instead of the grenade in the much older schematics made by Brian Lewis in the book Mechanismo by Harry Harrison :

Chaim

It is much easier under the clamp and there is much more space than inside the grenade.

I had problems to get some cables and electronics inside the geenade and wasn't able to construct a chamber for this small space.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back