I've got Gonk fever!

greedo

Not sure what took me so long, but I've caught the gonk fever.

After being inspired by celebration, our local builders are putting together a more themed area for our shows. One of my contributions will be a gonk droid.

Super cheap budget, super easy found parts, super cool droid.

A quick trip to Home Depot

**EDIT** Lost this pic, so just imagine a clear tub and drainage pipe in the back of a SUV

Now for all of you purist canon type personalities, be forewarned.... This gonk is a total custom, one-off, and born from my imagination. Not a screen grab. Don't worry... I still love you guys, and the world needs people like you.... I just wanted to give you an early enough warning to bail out if you need to

The goal of this droid is two things.

1.)Background filler for our show area
2.) controller storage while working our shows.

Going to make the bins hinged together and have the inside lined like a guitar case.... Only for DX6i's
From Old Photobucket by chris stephens, on Flickr

Feet are made from 1/2" ply and then filled with sand to weigh it down and keep from tipping

For my droid, I wanted a TON of wires and connectors. I took apart an old direct tv receiver to get some circuit board looking filler. Also took an old furnace control board for the top.

GNK by chris stephens, on Flickr

Fast forward to the end ( because I'm horrible at taking progress pictures and don't have any more)

Here he is:

Last edited:
Awesome Gonk droid! Love the red.

Also, love the thread title, although it sounds painful and not something one would want to have (unless knowing the context) haha.

YES!

I love Gonk, and holy crap, never thought of storage THAT way (my gaming controllers?).... Love the red too....

Subscribed for down the road reference...

That's very cool. Awesome job. :)

I really need to get started on my PLNK. I have a lot of the parts for it, including the fuel hose and nozzle, so I should really get started on it sometime. I've been hoping to find someone who might make the feet (probably four sets of GNK feet that I can cut in half and glue together) but so far I haven't found anyone. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to make the feet myself.

Love this!
Any chance you'd provide us template patterns for the feet?
Many thanks if possible!

I dont mind mind doing that, but you guys would need to know that I just eyeballed these to look proportional to my build. They weren't taken from screen shots or screen used measurements. If you give me a few days I will put a foot tutorial together in a different thread

Very kind of you! Thanks.
As far as screen accuracy, I'm not too concerned as I like the custom nature of what you've accomplished. It's given me a lot of ideas on what could be held inside one of these little guys!

This Gonk build is great. I love the red coloring and all the wires. It gives me an even worse case of Gonk fever which I've already contracted through another Gonl thread!
I need to stop being lazy and go buy some bins so I can get started.

Oh my goodness! I love your gonk droid! That weathered look, the color, and the wires all give it the feeling of a droid in some backwater part of the universe, where spare parts are rare, so the fixes when something breaks are sort of haphazard and using whatever is to hand. AND it's useable storage? Top notch!

If I could ask, what did you do to age it so nicely? Even the wires look sort of grody and old, and the coloring is great, with the chipped paint and sort of oily splotches. Those touches really are what make it look real, to me

Can I please get a few pictures of the hinges in the rear, internal and external? I'm interested in how you mounted those. I'm planning something similar. Cheers.

Can I please get a few pictures of the hinges in the rear, internal and external? I'm interested in how you mounted those. I'm planning something similar. Cheers.

So so sorry about the delay....

heres a pic. I just used cabinet hinges because I have a bunch on hand already. You can see I dust added some wood for the hinge and the plates to attach to.

IMG_7383.JPG

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! I love your gonk droid! That weathered look, the color, and the wires all give it the feeling of a droid in some backwater part of the universe, where spare parts are rare, so the fixes when something breaks are sort of haphazard and using whatever is to hand. AND it's useable storage? Top notch!

If I could ask, what did you do to age it so nicely? Even the wires look sort of grody and old, and the coloring is great, with the chipped paint and sort of oily splotches. Those touches really are what make it look real, to me

and to you, i am also sorry about the delayed response. Somehow I missed the comments/questions.

for the weathering, I just used a watered down black acrylic mix and caked it on like oil. For the chipped paint look, I used liquid latex. You just cover an area and then paint over it. When the paint is dry, you just peel off the latex and it makes that effect

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back