AMIE robot form The Red Planet

I have a Santen Flightsuit if you want any reference - I wouldn't bother displaying the clean suit part if I bought Pettengills tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRO, ITS KILLING ME!!! lol just keep in mind (everyone) this is the practical AMEE not the digital AMEE!! if I could get some screen grabs I would post the 2 differences, but I cant right now, just started a new job blah blah blah. but if someone were to watch the very beginning of the movie were they load amee into the ship, that's the real "physical" amee. and it will give you an idea of what she looked like. there is also at the "explosion/self destruct" scene....briefly...were the drone fly's into her chest. if you slow-mo you will see again the practical amee. I will post any other info A.S.A.P. and remember "i don't always drink beer....but when I do...I preffer dos xx's.. stay thirsty my friends" :love

Or...."I don't often talk to Democrats, but when I do, I ask for french fries." Yes it is shown with our most interesting man in the world behind the text....

That one kills me.

Anyway, I am also waiting with baited breath for some on topic (sorry, my fault) pictures!!

one question I have for garyarm about the practical amee that I "heard" way back when, is that the original design was actually a star wars droid. lucas film wouldn't sign off for them to use it. so after already building it, shooting scenes with it, they quickly had to change the design to the very different digital amee. it "sounds" plausible. also there is suppose to be a picture of it, in one of the star wars art or droid/tech books. there are so many damn star wars books out there that I havnt been able to find it.....and I aint gonna buy them all just to check! LOL

Hi guys
To Funboys question, from my recollections there was never a problem with the first robot, from Lucas Film, as it was a totally original design.
The reasons they dropped it at the eleventh hour was robot one was based on a spider and there was a back lash to spiders in the film "The Wild Wild West" with Will Smith. At test screenings of Wild West the comment cards came back with such a high negative response to the sub theme of spiders that the studio re cut the entire film for its release, the result was very detrimental to the release print of Wild Wild West .
The reception from the paying public to the final film meant the studio looked at the film as a failure.
Next came The Red Planet with a spider type robot, the studio panicked and ordered us to trash the fully working robot spider.
(No guys, I didn’t get any photos of that driod, sorry)
Syd Meed was hired to quickly come up with a new design for AMEE , which he did over a weekend.
But the changers kept coming during the week we had to build her.
So there was one after another compromise to the final appearance, like the wings I made for her, you can still see two struts that come out of her back which was the mounting point for the wings.
I hope they stored the spider AMEE so it can be used in another show,
althoughthe teck’ used to drive spider AMEE is 15 years old now, so she would need a total refit to bring her up to a usable level of today’s film needs
Cheers
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been promised pics tomorrow by the owner- hopefully I can negotiate a deal with him to buy AMEE if it looks like it can be salvaged on some way. Apparently the front legs/arms are in good shape and the head but the rear legs are in pieces - as excited as you guys and you will be first to know when I have some photos

Have been promised pics tomorrow by the owner- hopefully I can negotiate a deal with him to buy AMEE if it looks like it can be salvaged on some way. Apparently the front legs/arms are in good shape and the head but the rear legs are in pieces - as excited as you guys and you will be first to know when I have some photos

I think my heart just skipped a beat...:thumbsup

Wow to see prop AMEE again that is amassing guys
Then I wonder where she has been all this time

o.k. It seems all the amee parts were in a jam packed garage all this time and pic's ARE coming soon.... believe me....I just received a couple. :D and GaryArm apparently he has a set of wings for it. :thumbsup RED PLANET holy grail day will be coming soon to the rpf! :cheers

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back