My try at building the 1/6 Scale Falcon Cockpit

IzzyMel

Sr Member
My children bought me a 3D printer for Fathers Day and I put it to good use. I started to work on my 1/6 Scale Falcon Cockpit. I started to print off the captains chairs. However, in the process of doing the 1st one a tree fell on the power lines and killed my 1st print ( shown next to the that is finished)

IMG_20150622_095324 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150622_095348 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150622_095357 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Had to do a lot of sanding to get rid of the spiderwebs. Here is a picture of it on the printer:

3d printed Falcon seat by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Here is a quick vid of the printing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXdVPVYCuB8

One more of these to print off then it's he Nav Seats. :)

Thanks for the bump Sofaking01 and for the help with my project :)

And then there were two.
IMG_20150630_212415 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

I was away. Now I'm back and able to continue. I'm in the process of printing off the back seats. I'll post pics once I have them done. :)

Those are looking good. As for the sanding, are you using acetone, or it's just sand paper to remove those lines?

How do you use acetone to get rid of the lines without damaging any of the detail???

The acetone is a slow "smoothing" process - slowly melts the plastic. You can use a small paint brush in certain areas - simply brush the acetone over and over. I would use a practice piece to get the hang on it.

Check out this vid (be sure to watch others for more detail)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLVyGDvisM

Last edited:
The acetone is a slow "smoothing" process - slowly melts the plastic. You can use a small paint brush in certain areas - simply brush the acetone over and over. I would use a practice piece to get the hang on it.

Check out this vid (be sure to watch others for more detail)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLVyGDvisM

No luck with Acetone. All it did was change the color of my black pla to White. Sad Face. At least I tried it on a small pice and not on the main seats. I think Acetone works well with ABS. Not so good with PLA. :(

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the back Nav seats done. I think I'm going to have to do a combination of scratch build and 3d print.

You can see the detail on the prints are good on side only next to the scratch build post. I do like the Base for the seat and the hoods.

IMG_20150707_104349 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

However, I'm not to crazy about the back side of the prints. I one is usable because most of it will be hidden behind the seat. The other one will be trashed.

IMG_20150707_104427 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

I'm digging the styrene version. Much cleaner and you'll def see / get more detail. I think the combo effort will def work :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back