My try at building the 1/6 Scale Falcon Cockpit

The Nav chair is not bad at all...a little more TLC on the smoothing and they would be A+;)...I know that it's a learning experience and we appreciate the effort you're putting into it!

AWESOME! Looking forward to seeing some primer and paint! :) Now if only I could get my build to move as fast! ;)

I bought some of the Smooth on XTC-3D to help with the smoothing process. Once I have the other Nav chair printed I will be applying the cover coat and prime and paint.:)

Did some more work on the center console. After getting all the panels and base right, I started to glue them in place. You notice I put screws in the side. Thats so I can go back in and add the center lights.

IMG_20150720_095310 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150720_095325 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150720_095335 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150720_095341 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150720_095349 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150720_095356 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150720_095427 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Seat added :)

IMG_20150720_095707 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150720_095858 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

More to follow....

Shape of the console looks right. Question: the greeblies on the console will be done from scratch, or are you going to keep that photo representation of the controls?

Shape of the console looks right. Question: the greeblies on the console will be done from scratch, or are you going to keep that photo representation of the controls?

I plan on building them from Scratch or find something that closely resembles the ones I can't. :)

Where does everybody get dimensions of the cockpit from. Is there a blueprint out there somewhere I don't know about, :)

Hey B,

I've been working very closely with Starkiller (he created a 1:1 scale Falcon in 3D) for my project. And I'm passing along a few images for Iz to work his 1/6th scale. BUT, there is a blueprint of the basic cockpit size and shape but ZERO plans for details, seats, etc. For example, we now know the pilot/copilot seats are Hunt Master seats from the 70s and the Nav chairs are Martin Baker ejection seats (Type 4 I believe).

Hope this helps? :)

- - - Updated - - -

I plan on building them from Scratch or find something that closely resembles the ones I can't. :)

Hey Iz,

She's looking great so far! I have most (99%) of the greeblies should you need a working file. I'm not sure how you're going to fab all these parts. Normally I would say I feel sorry for ya having to create all those details... but this is part of the adventure! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Iz,

Quick Question: Are you going to create the entire exterior of the cockpit like the Hot Toys version?

Hey B,

I've been working very closely with Starkiller (he created a 1:1 scale Falcon in 3D) for my project. And I'm passing along a few images for Iz to work his 1/6th scale. BUT, there is a blueprint of the basic cockpit size and shape but ZERO plans for details, seats, etc. For example, we now know the pilot/copilot seats are Hunt Master seats from the 70s and the Nav chairs are Martin Baker ejection seats (Type 4 I believe).

Hope this helps? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Iz,

She's looking great so far! I have most (99%) of the greeblies should you need a working file. I'm not sure how you're going to fab all these parts. Normally I would say I feel sorry for ya having to create all those details... but this is part of the adventure! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Iz,

Quick Question: Are you going to create the entire exterior of the cockpit like the Hot Toys version?

I plan on it but you know what they say about best laid plans...:) I have been referring to your build for the greeblies. Any bit of info will definitely help in my build. Thanks

Hey B,

Hope this helps?

Thanks man, I definitely need to get with you on this. I just need the basic dimensions of the console and center section. I'm building the 5 Foot Falcon and I want to have a more accurate cockpit. I know ILM was rushed on the models and didn't really match it up too well. Ah the pressures of deadlines.

Thanks man, I definitely need to get with you on this. I just need the basic dimensions of the console and center section. I'm building the 5 Foot Falcon and I want to have a more accurate cockpit. I know ILM was rushed on the models and didn't really match it up too well. Ah the pressures of deadlines.

What scale is the 5 footer?

What scale is the 5 footer?

Studio Scale, ;) Sorry had to say that. Just debating that in another post. I think the general consensus is around 1/24 scale. Nobody knows for sure, but that's the ballpark. I do know that the cockpit tube, is 5.75 inches outside diam. If that helps. I'll just take the full scale measurement if available, and shrink her down to fit.

Joe

Last edited:
So I started cutting the console greeblies out of 1mm styrene. It seems like console switches are a little bigger than the ones on the back panels. I also drew out the templates to cut out the nav viewer. Kind like Sofaking01 did with his 1:1 scale Falcon cockpit. Not sure I got the measurements right but it looks right. Then I cut out the center rails for the throttle. They all need to be painted still. but it's a start. :)

IMG_20150723_201332 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Hey Iz,

Looking GREAT so far! Those throttle greeblies look awsome! We still have no idea what they are despite having seen a close up photo with "MOD" serial / production number on the side. Even Wavey can't figure it and he's the master! They still remain a mystery!

Just a reminder: The lower instrument panel has a slight tilt going up toward the upper instrument panel - it is NOT flat. I didn't know ho screen accurate you wanted to get. :)

Looking forward to more!

Hey Iz,

Looking GREAT so far! Those throttle greeblies look awsome! We still have no idea what they are despite having seen a close up photo with "MOD" serial / production number on the side. Even Wavey can't figure it and he's the master! They still remain a mystery!

Just a reminder: The lower instrument panel has a slight tilt going up toward the upper instrument panel - it is NOT flat. I didn't know ho screen accurate you wanted to get. :)

Looking forward to more!

Thanks. I want to make it as accurate as I can. If I can I may go back and try to make the throttle greeblie out of thin aluminum. It looks like it's made from two separate pieces???

Iz

Thanks. I want to make it as accurate as I can. If I can I may go back and try to make the throttle greeblie out of thin aluminum. It looks like it's made from two separate pieces???

Iz

Believe it or not - it's actually 4 different pieces. There is the main frame, a trimplate, a circuit board and then another small hard edged "oval" shape greeblie. We didn't include the circuit board as the throttles didn't have them but they were noticable in other areas of the MF. Two of them are on the canopy beams and one is even located on the upper 15" extension panel just over Han's head.

Canopy
http://ladymanson.com/galleries/movies/MoviesRS/displayimage.php?pid=109971&fullsize=1

Can't find a good pic of the ext panel but I'll send it to you (those areas I haven't even touched yet)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back