Black Panther Civil War Inspired Costumes

Iracel

BEVjIFwl.jpg

BSTz7Asl.jpg

This is the finished costume. Just to let you know, reader. This thread is me making multiple black panthers.

Hey there. Wow. You smell really good. Thanks for stopping in. So, I'm basically known just for making Spiderman costumes. For about two years that's all I've done, and it's been cool. He's my favourite hero and I've modeled a lot of my life around him. Fitness. Morality. Personality. He's been a large influence on me. But it's about time that I split off and make other costumes, you know? I especially want to represent more heroes that aren't so well know, and I figured Black Panther was a good place to start (I wanted to do Daredevil, still do, but he recently blew up for such unknown reasons.) And Black Panther is, well, black. And with most superheroes being white, most apparent in the cinematic universe, I want to represent a minority that I am (other than miles.) And also, Black Panther has the closest body type to me (although pretty huge) other than Spiderman/Daredevil/Flash.

So, to catch you up to speed with whats up. I stitched the whole costume out of black spandex. Now, because its pure black, I can't add muscle shading really. So that kinda sucks. But whatever. I'm still working on the ears, since its totally new to me and just look kinda weird. It has tabi like feet, with the split big toe and such. Pointy fingers. And a basic invisible zipper running up the back, with detachable boots, forearm zippers, and a crotch zipper. Right now I'm just working on the torso. I messed up quite a bit on two of the lines, and it's really bugging me, but it's not something that will happen again.

H8fyjIVl.jpg

NRQt9BAl.jpg

For the chest and ab accents, i bought leather and just glued it on. I'll do that for the shoulders and upper back too. Possibly the mask, which is the part I'm most apprehensive to start on.

For the claws, I just used instamorph and modeled them on my fingers. The teeth for the necklace I bought online from etsy, but the holes go in them the wrong way. :/ I'm not quite sure how to do that too, since I don't have jewelry experience, but that's what the internet is for.

So, this is the start of the black panther built. I'm not sure if I'll do a cape or knee pads. Definitely not sure about the spear. But whatever happens happens. :D

Last edited:
Re: Iracel's Black Panther

Awesome! I really like the leather. Are you making new teeth or just going to drill new holes? If you're making teeth you should look for epoxy putty. It's a 2 part putty that you can work like clay but it cures incredibly strong. Once it's fully cured you can sand it too and get a really smooth finish. This is what I've been using: http://www.amazon.com/Apoxie-Sculpt-1-Lb-White/dp/B0013UDWXI

Dude, you are a machine! Didn't you just finish the SpiderGwen hybrid( which was stupid awesome by the way). You are a phenom! I can't wait to see this.

Is it based off the movie design? View attachment 492233View attachment 492234

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

yes sir. With my own design elements, but it's heavily based off of that design. Lets just say this is a 1.0 version, and I'd like to revisit and redo it some day.

Awesome! I really like the leather. Are you making new teeth or just going to drill new holes? If you're making teeth you should look for epoxy putty. It's a 2 part putty that you can work like clay but it cures incredibly strong. Once it's fully cured you can sand it too and get a really smooth finish. This is what I've been using: http://www.amazon.com/Apoxie-Sculpt-1-Lb-White/dp/B0013UDWXI

That's a good idea. Thank you. The teeth I got aren't going to cut it for the necklace because the hole placement is bad, but I can still use them on the arms and such. Definitely looking for a better way to do the necklace teeth, so I'll look into this as one of my options.

Here are the teeth and claws all spray painted with metallic rustoleum. I'm thinking of etching African designs into the claws, you know, just because.
65lerBdl.jpg

And more progress is being made on the abdomen of the torso. And I'm uping my exercise routine. I mainly focus on strength over size, but at this point it would behoove me to get larger in certain areas. Specifically the deltoids, pecs, quads, and lats. Calves would be nice but hey, you know genetics. :p

Are you going to matsuricon this year? I saw you at last matsuricon and last ohayocon, but i didnt know it was you because i hadnt really began using theRPF as much as i do now. I'd love to say hi to you in person.

Are you going to matsuricon this year? I saw you at last matsuricon and last ohayocon, but i didnt know it was you because i hadnt really began using theRPF as much as i do now. I'd love to say hi to you in person.

Yes sir I am.

I was wondering, what do you wear under your costumes?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Just some boxer briefs. And socks. :p

So. Painting the torso is pretty close to finished. And right now I'm doing the legs, which will be tough. They're very intricate And I have to stress over symmetry a lot. And I can't even mark the fabric because it's so black. :0

gdBYB0El.jpg

VKc6gORl.jpg

Sorry for this hella late update! This costume is... hard. Mainly, getting everything symmetrical, which is impossible and I don't care anymore. In college I'll make a 2.0 version with my own pattern file and such. So that'll be a journey. This spandex is so black it's impossible to mark on it so I can make sure it's all symmetrical before painting. But hey, life is hard. Here are the thighs.

Qx4CO86l.jpg

n8NE448l.jpg

I still don't have leather so I can't do the shoulders or back yet. But I want to get the spine and forearms out of the way.

Thanks guys. :D I decided to invest into a silver chain, multiple smooth sterling silver fangs, and an ornate fang. It was expensive, but hopefully worth it. I also bought to silver arm band things. You know, the jewelry that goes around your upper arm. So that's a thing.

And here's a picture of the arm as of now. I still have no leather, so I can't do a lot of the costume.

zcjz534l.jpg

Well this is embarrassing. I left this thread dead to rights. I promise I've been working on a Black Panther costume. I was very unhappy with this one and decided to restart it. I sewed up a new black body suit with a mask that's attached to the body this time around. I've been sewing black pleather strips into the spandex and painting around them to make a pattern heavily influenced by the black panther concept art. At this point, it won't look too much like the movie costume, which might not be too awful. I've never been one for "movie accurate" costumes.

What do you have to do for the costume, Chase?

Well, I have to sew a lot of leather into the costume BY HAND. Bruh, it's so difficult and time consuming. Especially when I get to the legs. I also have to paint on all the patterns (which are heavily influenced by African art) and the intricate lines. Usually applying multiple layers to make it look as smooth as possible. Then when everything finalized I coat it in a few layers of protective liquid rubber. I wish I made it more durable and battle ready by using cordura or something but I just found out about that. So I might have this as a light weight black panther then make a heavy weight one. But I did buy some cut resistant kevlar type fabric to put on the forearms. I'm looking for appropriate silver nails for the gloves still.
I have padding I plan to use to make the jawline and cheekbones of the mask squared off. For the teeth and metal accents on the costume, I happened to snag a bunch of silver teeth that seriously look dope af and metallic thread bundles I can sew into the costume, without you seeing the seam lines. As for the boots, I have a pair that look pretty awesome but are also rather small. I'm in the process of breaking them in. I'm not entirely sure if I want to add silver lenses or just have them open so you can see my eyes. Wearing yellow cat contacts would look cool but it'd also be more trouble. But lenses can fog up quite a bit. Any opinions?

I'll be sure to have pictures uploaded, since I'm rather far along and making steady progress. But I'm in college now and I've got all these finals and papers and AHHHHhhh. But everything great. Love it.

Pics Pics Pics. Here they are. Sewing leather is a bitch, and painting it to look smooth is a bitch as well.

2Q45PDHl.png

This is the torso before I did the arm. After sewing and getting the painting to a point I liked, I coat it in a few layers of liquid silicone to protect it. This isn't it though. I decided to sew a bit more into it as you can see below.

DNLB0ryl.jpg

This is just some elastic cording I decided to add above each leather strip. It's so so subtle and no one will really nice it besides myself, but my costumes always have details only I see and that don't matter to anyone else. :p BUT I still have to buy black metallic cording, (I've got the silver. That'll be dope) which I will also sew in so the costume looks more protective and like it's made out of vibranium.

8PdRE7Cl.jpg

Heres an example of how awful this hand sewn leather is. After sewing I paint over the seams so they're hidden and paired with all the perfectly straight lines that the metallic cording will have when I add it, everything will hopefully look rather even and straight. That's the trapezius piece, since you can't really tell.

vXOmeHil.jpg

TmsqYKLl.jpg

As you can see here, I decided to add buckles and such to certain fabric strips. Mainly because the boots I have for the costume also have buckles so I decided to add some to the actual costume to make them complimentary. And because I think they make the costume look cooler.

SoM5ZXtl.jpg

Just painting the arm here.

fDi4PNHl.jpg

This is the chest for the muscle suit, but it's probably way too big. :p But if I add latex I'm hoping it'll shrink down. AAAAND this is where I am now.

LXyFa7Nl.jpg

So, the left arm and the torso are rather good. But what sucks is how tight this thing is. I've been painting on a duct tape mannequin I made of myself last year and my body must ave changed a lot, because this arm is very tight. Sorta rough to get my whole arm through and it'll only get worse as I keep exercising. I can't imagine fitting the muscle suit I planned to make under this. I had to completely tear off the leather strip on the forearm because it gave me no room. :/ So this sucks. Oh, the arm looks super shiny because I just coated it in silicone, but it'll tone down so that it's not nearly as glossy.
My kevlar, claws, necklace center piece, and motorcycle mask are still on the way, so those have to be held off. Now I have to find a way to make a muscle suit for this, or if I even will. Maybe just emphasize the chest, shoulders, and lats. Maybe abs. But at this point arms won't work. Of course I'd also emphasize the quads, hamstrings and calves. But right now, I'm concerned with my growing body, laterally and horizontally. D: the pleather strips really restrict the stretchability of the fabric like I didn't expect. (They stretch quite a bit but still) Anyway, Right now the goal is to do the other arm and back, but since a certain costume is occupying the duct tape mannequin right now...

1O60MzYl.jpg

Thats not gonna happen. So I'l just move onto the legs. Which will be time consuming. What do you kids think?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back